BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Msport

Picked up 640d MSport GC, some questions

Just picked up my GC yesterday and have some questions. I guess some of them have been answered on other BMW forums, but figured I'd ask here incase there are any intricacies specific to the 6 series.

I didn't want to wait for a factory order so grabbed a car sitting on the lot. This meant I had to make a few compromises. I'm now considering wether to live with those, or consider doing some work after the fact. I did save a healthy chunk on the car by not going for a factory order, so at least that will go towards any changes I make.

1) Despite being a MSport, the dealer for some unfamothable reason specd chrome trim (shadowline is standard on MSport in the UK). From a cursory search, my options are paint it, wrap it or replace it. Has anyone done any of these and how did it go?

2) The car doesn't have surround view. I would like to fit top view to save my alloys/generally aid in parking. Has anyone tried this?

3) While I like white leather I've always avoided it and gone for the safer black option. Well I had no choice but to go with Ivory/Black combo. What do those of you with white leather use for care/maintenance? From what I've read it's already coated, so the best advice seems to be protector/foam cleaner/water based hydrator. And wiping any stains with a damp cloth before they set in.

Other then that I'm very happy with the car. I got the key options I wanted (LED headlights, HuD, sunroof, comfort seats, lumbar support, VDC, plus a few I didn't really care about like soft close doors). It was the LEDs and HuD that really restricted my choices, almost pushing me to a factory order.

Any advice/pointers greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep

Oops forgot to mention its Sapphire Black with Ivory White/Black and American Oak interior trim. On 20" 373M wheels.

Last edited by Mentos; 12-20-2012 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Not sure how practical it may be to add top & side view, you would have to change both side view mirrors and have it reprogrammed for the top view feature, for side view the cameras are in the front fenders, so you would need new front fenders, so perhaps you should look into this more closely to see if its feasible.

Regarding the light interior, I had Silverstone which is basically platinum white on my former M6 for nearly 4 years. As long as you keep it up, it will always look great, mine looked like new the day she left me, so with a bit of upkeep it should be OK.

congrats and good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Not sure how practical it may be to add top & side view, you would have to change both side view mirrors and have it reprogrammed for the top view feature, for side view the cameras are in the front fenders, so you would need new front fenders, so perhaps you should look into this more closely to see if its feasible.

Regarding the light interior, I had Silverstone which is basically platinum white on my former M6 for nearly 4 years. As long as you keep it up, it will always look great, mine looked like new the day she left me, so with a bit of upkeep it should be OK.

congrats and good luck
I was thinking/hoping the wiring would be in place for the top view cameras since the mirrors are already powered (possibly wishfull thinking). In which case it may "just" mean replacing the mirror covers, connecting at both ends and re-coding. I'm not too bothered about side view, especially since it would mean accessing behind the fenders and cutting holes in them for the cameras.

What did you use to clean/maintain your seats in the M6?

Thanks again for the help. I'm itching to put some miles on the car but stuck at home with a bug. Just managed one short drive and several peaks of it on the drive

Last edited by Mentos; 12-20-2012 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentos View Post
I was thinking/hoping the wiring would be in place for the top view cameras since the mirrors are already powered (possibly wishfull thinking). In which case it may "just" mean replacing the mirror covers, connecting at both ends and re-coding. I'm not too bothered about side view, especially since it would mean accessing behind the fenders and cutting holes in them for the cameras.

What did you use to clean/maintain your seats in the M6?

Thanks again for the help. I'm itching to put some miles on the car but stuck at home with a bug. Just managed one short drive and several peaks of it on the drive
hmmmm...perhas a techie in your shop can find out if they are prewired in the mirrors, fingers crossed for sure..on the fenders, id be careful with trying to cut them, they are composite which may not take well to cutting, they are very thin and lightweight so care should be given, also as there would not be wiring, not sure how you'd connect them to idrive to get the video on screen...

For cleaning, I have Lexol cleaners and maintainers that used to be the standard brand that BMW sold in the service areas to clean the interior. Nowadays BMW has their own branded cleaners they sell at the service centers which may still be Lexol or something comparable. Worked great to clean them up and keep them supple for the lifte of ownership.

Take some meds to get rid of that bug, you need to drive that badboy!

cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
hmmmm...perhas a techie in your shop can find out if they are prewired in the mirrors, fingers crossed for sure..on the fenders, id be careful with trying to cut them, they are composite which may not take well to cutting, they are very thin and lightweight so care should be given, also as there would not be wiring, not sure how you'd connect them to idrive to get the video on screen...

For cleaning, I have Lexol cleaners and maintainers that used to be the standard brand that BMW sold in the service areas to clean the interior. Nowadays BMW has their own branded cleaners they sell at the service centers which may still be Lexol or something comparable. Worked great to clean them up and keep them supple for the lifte of ownership.

Take some meds to get rid of that bug, you need to drive that badboy!

cheers
Yep, I'm definitely apprehensive about messing with the fenders :/ Also the side view is cool, but not the one I'm really interested in. It's the top view that I really found usefull from other cars I've driven, as it helps avoid the dreaded curb rash. I figure even if it costs ~$1000, it will be worth it if it saves the cost and hassle of refurbish these 20s a couple of times over the time I have e car.

Thanks for the pointers about the lexol. I just had a look and a BMW dealer is selling the official kit on EBay quite cheap, I may give that a shot. At least I can blame them if it doesn't work well

Finally recovering, so might actually get some miles on it over the weekend. Although if I've given the bug to my other half just in time for Xmas I'll hav bigger things to worry about :/

Last edited by Mentos; 12-21-2012 at 02:50 AM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #7
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep

Also can anyone point me to details of what pre-condition from the remote App does on the 6 series. I've had a quick look and can't find any docs. But from forums have found mixed answers. Some suggest it just turns the fans on, others suggest from the 5 up it also warms the car up. Winter here, so that would be usefull, especially if it warms the oil/etc up as I'm always lazy for those too reach temp before setting off
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #8
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

+1 on Lexol products. They work great, I've used them for years. All automotive leather has many layers of dye, polyurethane and UV/stain protectants. It is actually pretty tough. Your biggest threat is dirt and dust that can grind in and wear the coatings. Just keep it clean and you should be fine.

The top view "camera" is a computer generated image based on the front, side and rear view cameras. There is a good change that the wires are there, but adding all the cameras and updating the vehicle software would be really tricky. Maybe these guys can help you: www.bimmer-tech.net/shop.

The remote APP I have only unlocks doors, flashes the lights and honks the horn. It's more of a novelty than a useful tool. Maybe there are other Apps, but I doubt any of them can start the car. BMWs scrolling key code technology does not allow for remote starting.

There is no need for multi-weight oil to warm up before setting off. Just don't drive aggressively until fully warm. Same rule applies in hot weather. Besides I lived in the UK for a couple years. You don't know what cold is.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
+1 on Lexol products. They work great, I've used them for years. All automotive leather has many layers of dye, polyurethane and UV/stain protectants. It is actually pretty tough. Your biggest threat is dirt and dust that can grind in and wear the coatings. Just keep it clean and you should be fine.

The top view "camera" is a computer generated image based on the front, side and rear view cameras. There is a good change that the wires are there, but adding all the cameras and updating the vehicle software would be really tricky. Maybe these guys can help you: www.bimmer-tech.net/shop.

The remote APP I have only unlocks doors, flashes the lights and honks the horn. It's more of a novelty than a useful tool. Maybe there are other Apps, but I doubt any of them can start the car. BMWs scrolling key code technology does not allow for remote starting.

There is no need for multi-weight oil to warm up before setting off. Just don't drive aggressively until fully warm. Same rule applies in hot weather. Besides I lived in the UK for a couple years. You don't know what cold is.

Hope this helps.
Having spent several years working in Canada I can imagine how wussy my complaining about our winter sounds I do recall the feeling of moisture in my noise freezing on what was described as a mild day by my local colleagues :/

The remote App in the UK/EU also has a Precondition option, I believe it's omitted from the NA market for some reason I'm sure makes sense (not). I'm just trying to figure what that can do. I've seen it mentioned on 3 series forums, where people say it just operates the fans, so isn't much use. But in the same thread someone mentioned in the 5 series up, there is a separate fuel burner which actually means its able to heat/cool as opposed to just pump ambient temp air in. Perhaps that's misinfo/I misunderstood, but would be nice if it can for us feeble Brits

Since that's two votes for lexol, I may give that a shot. From my preliminary reading, general care advice is wipe down with a damp cloth regularly, clean with a foam type cleaner and use a protector (as a sacrificial layer)/hydrator occasionally. I generally have a far more laissez faire attitude towards my car interiors, but this is my first light interior so I'm a little more apprehensive this time.
Appreciate 0