BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #23
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotM5 View Post
I had this issue in my new M5 a couple of times. Once you let it sit and restart, the issue goes away. Strange! I do not have the B&O system
This issue is clearly common to both M5/M6. At least there is a way to make it remit. If there wasn't, I would be insane because it is very annoying. That being said, if progressive in frequency and intensity, it will be very irritating having to stop the vehicle, wait and restart everytime.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #24
UCFJWH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

I had the problem after delivery. Went away. Came back yesterday. Really Annoying!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #25
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Happened again today. Still have not heard from the dealer. Vehicle going in Tues for unrelated service. Will refresh the concern with them. Has anyone received an answer to this annoying issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:41 AM   #26
Laguna Beach
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i7 M60 Sport Pro

second time it happened to me too. This time it was through BT so I switched to radio then back over to BT and it fixed it. Have to try it again next time. B&O BTW
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #27
Glen55
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Sounds like sand hitting windshield...me too

I have an M6 Gran Coupe. OMG, I have the same problem. At first I thought I was getting pounded with small stones or sand from the cars in front of me. Soon discovered it was the exact same problem reported here! Of course the dealer said its the first time they've had a customer report this. They supposedly contacted bmw Corporate and (surprise) they had never heard of the problem either. Has anyone been able to solve this?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #28
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen55
I have an M6 Gran Coupe. OMG, I have the same problem. At first I thought I was getting pounded with small stones or sand from the cars in front of me. Soon discovered it was the exact same problem reported here! Of course the dealer said its the first time they've had a customer report this. They supposedly contacted bmw Corporate and (surprise) they had never heard of the problem either. Has anyone been able to solve this?
I, as well as many others with M5/M6, have experienced the issue and written about it on these and other forums many times, and for as much as it has been mentioned no one has reported any kind of permanent solution. Many believe that the issue is tied to the Active Sound Design inside the car (the thing that pumps fake engine noise into the cabin) which is why, despite being audio related, simply turning off all audio sources does not solve the problem as ASD is always on in one way or another. For me the problem occurs very rarely, maybe 1-2 times a month, and usually goes away as soon as I turn off the car for a prolonged period of time (say 30 mins to an hour). This makes the issue hard to diagnose by the dealer as it is completely random and the only way to get them to listen to the problem is by driving the car to them immediately when the issue crops up (without an appointment) and leaving the car on until someone can go and listen to it. I find it highly unlikely that Corporate has never heard of the issue as I and some others have reported it to the dealers many times and they have supposedly reported it back to BMW NA. One person even got his dealer to do a full swap of the cars audio system under warranty because of this issue, which I doubt would have gone on without BMW NA's knowledge and/or approval.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #29
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
My current X3 does this randomly and only when using Bluetooth audio / phone
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #30
mateo1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

First time post on here. Just received my M6 Gran Coupe and have noticed this "crackling" and static noise. It is especially prevalent when turning the volume knob and it even is there when the system is muted. However, after turning car off and just listening through radio or any source, it is not there. Really makes you wonder about this active sound design that is in these cars. Has anybody came up with some answers for this. People on the M5 board are experiencing similar issues. Obviously this is not acceptable and very annoying. Thank you and appreciate any help on this matter.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #31
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Never seen/heard anything like it, but if its directly correlated to the gas tank, I would not rest until it was figured out by the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #32
aj1985
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 m6 coupe sapphire black

This happened to me with the previous model M6 I had. Would do it periodically only after car washes so always thought there was some issue with a seal somewhere and water getting in. Its funny how we have all these weird little issues but the techs can never figure them out.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #33
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1985 View Post
This happened to me with the previous model M6 I had. Would do it periodically only after car washes so always thought there was some issue with a seal somewhere and water getting in. Its funny how we have all these weird little issues but the techs can never figure them out.
4 years later I have the same issue on my i8 after a car wash; luckily I recorded:
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 07:03 PM   #34
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands View Post
I took delivery of my 2013 M6 F13 01 Sep 12. It spent 11 days under recall downtime. Just prior to and since the recall was accomplished, I have noticed static like snaps coming from the speakers along with crackling static when I adjust the volume. It continues when the radio is turned off. It is intermittent. It appears to be tied to filling up the car with gas. It has occurred now three times in a row after I tanked up the car. Once the car has sat awhile with the vehicle completely off, the problem ceases. My vehicle is not quite six weeks old. I am concerned about some form of static charge build up while fueling. I am unclear as to how serious or dangerous this might be (recall cell phone static discharge igniting fuel tanks during filling a couple years back). It will be adressed at the 1200 mile service. I am simply curious if anyone else has had this issue and whether or not it is a known issue with perhaps other models.

Did they ever find the cause??!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 07:39 PM   #35
debauch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Level 100 necromancy in here.