BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-22-2016, 01:38 AM   #1
Aussie_Bimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Replace or repair front bumper?

Quick question, two days ago my neighbour hit my car leaving the underground garage. She has admitted fault and we are both going through insurance. I have BMW insurance who have provided quote to replace front bumper. Trouble is the bumper isn't stocked anywhere in Australia has to come from Germany, be paint matched (my car is glacier silver) so looking at early February to be booked in and 4 days to paint match and put on.

The BMW repairer mentioned that the bumper didn't suffer any structural or major damage and if I wanted to it could be repaired (taken off, sanded and painted I assume) and would be looking at first week in January. He said it's totally up to me (noting BMW have authorised full replacement).

What would you guys do?

Here is pick of damage. Note that today the BMW repairer did manage to buff all the red paint off and touched up the deep gashes with touch up paint so it wouldn't look as bad during the Xmas break.

Either way I might order some M6 style grilles with double slats and no badge so they can be fitted while bumper is off
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 02:08 AM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

If I were you, I would wait till Feb and would go with the new one.
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #3
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
What year is the car, and how long are you planning to keep it?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Looks like it's more than your bumper but fender as well.

If you were going to keep the car for more than another year, I'd do it the right way and have a replacement bumper put on. If it was a lease, or otherwise going back in 12 or less months, maybe I'd consider the quick repair route.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 04:11 AM   #5
Jeffro75
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC Estoril Blue

Hi mate, good to see another Aussie on here. For what it's worth, I would wait for a new bumper. If the bumper has any deep gouges (i.e. into the surface of the bumper material, it will need to be filled before respraying. Given the flexibility of the material, the filler can shrink and react over time, causing the paint to craze etc... I had the unfortunate luck to have a peice of blown out tyre from a vehicle in front hit the bumper of my 640iGC on the freeway at 100kph. I took the car to a BMW panel shop and they told me that other than respraying, they do not make any repairs to bumpers, no matter how small. I suspect this is why BMW insurance have approved a new bumper. It's a $4k part, if I were you, I would take advantage and get a brand new one - you can always ask to keep the old one just in case you ever need it.
Appreciate 0