BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-01-2016, 05:11 AM   #1
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Diesel oil Contamination

Doh....got a warning last night that the oil was over full...took less than a moment to probably figure what had caused it. Bloody regeneration (I have turned one or two off in recent memory).

Dealer found 250ml of additional "oil" in the sump, got it changed and everything seems happy again (although in fairness to the car it was only two weeks from it's scheduled change anyway (about 500 miles), apparently speaking with the aftersales manager at my dealer they have had some cars do this very near a scheduled change as the oil is that degraded and with a diesel some contamination).

Bloody DPF's! has anyone else had problems with oil contamination with the 640D? (I drive mainly 40/50/60 A roads to work with around 30 miles each way, weekends it is probably less than that, and my OH's distance to work is around 3 miles one way to pick her up won't help).

If it happens quickly again then clearly something more sinister is at play like the fuel seals/injectors. (although my usual MPG is circa 36, current on winter tyres with naturally worse MPG is 32-33 if there was a real problem I would expect far lower MPG's).

Beginning to think I should adjust my route to work to the M20 and A249 (as bad as that road sometimes is). Although I am still slightly "old school" and I think will be doing intermediate oil and filter changes half way between each paid for service pack one).

Last edited by NINJA59; 12-01-2016 at 06:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:17 AM   #2
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post
Doh....got a warning last night that the oil was over full...took less than a moment to probably figure what had caused it. Bloody regeneration (I have turned one or two off in recent memory).

Dealer found 250ml of additional "oil" in the sump, got it changed and everything seems happy again (although in fairness to the car it was only two weeks from it's scheduled change anyway (about 500 miles), apparently speaking with the aftersales manager at my dealer they have had some cars do this very near a scheduled change as the oil is that degraded and with a diesel some contamination).

Bloody DPF's! has anyone else had problems with oil contamination with the 640D? (I drive mainly 40/50/60 A roads to work with around 30 miles each way, weekends it is probably less than that, and my OH's distance to work is around 3 miles one way to pick her up won't help).

If it happens quickly again then clearly something more sinister is at play like the fuel seals/injectors. (although my usual MPG is circa 36, current on winter tyres with naturally worse MPG is 32-33 if there was a real problem I would expect far lower MPG's).

Beginning to think I should adjust my route to work to the M20 and A249 (as bad as that road sometimes is). Although I am still slightly "old school" and I think will be doing intermediate oil and filter changes half way between each paid for service pack one).
My 640d said the same just before my last service but as it was going in I thought it's nothing to worry about and it's been fine since.

Where are you from Ninja? I use the a249-M20 everyday for work! Small world
      12-01-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Good to know matey that I am not the only one, I took what the aftersales manager said with a fair amount of credit as we have a good relationship and rarely pay full whack for anything and most of the time when says he something it tends to be spot on (as well as his views on BMW's 3 and 4 pots which generally are amusing).

Not originally from Kent, but live in Ashford for my sins (biggest issue for me is the short runs from home to the William Harvey where the car only just about makes warm). Drive to Sittingbourne every day (bar most Fridays where I work from home (IT has benefits)).

Since Feb the only reason you have probably not seen me is I have been doing a run down the A251 and then A2 (recent weeks down there have been challenging with a fair amount of flooding). Getting bored though and fancy a change so will do the M20 - A249 (naturally of course watching the cameras at Detling).
Appreciate 0