BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-14-2016, 05:38 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Shadowline or Chrome Trim?

In many of the pictures I've seen of the GC, even with the M-Sport package, it looks like Chrome trim is still widely employed. When using the configurator online, selecting the M-Sport package immediately changes to shadowline trim.

So, a few questions:

1. Do you have the option to configure M-Sport GCs with regular chrome trim? It appears to be widely popular at least from pics.

2. I'm torn between whether the GC looks better with or without chrome trim. I'd likely be selecting a dark color (like Sapphire Black), and the shadowline seems to blend in... same as it does on my 550xi.

3. Only partly related to the above, it doesn't look like you can order M-Sport with Jet Black (my favorite BMW color - had it on all cars for 15 years straight now). Is there still a way to order Jet Black with M-Sport package?

Thanks for the insight and help!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
JakeBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 650i Xdrive GC -Carbon Bk

Garage List
I much prefer shadowline over chrome.

I have the carbon black 650i GC(2016).

Recently changed the side markers to gloss black and replaced the chrome grill.

http://www.6post.com/forums/bpgarage...=view&id=18647
      11-15-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

While I really don't like the "murdered" look, I like the shawdowline trim a lot better than the chrome trim that I've seen, especially on white with tinted windows.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
belarus27
Private
Rep
Drives: E550

shadowline/black over chrome any day
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
The Mangler
2013 650i xdrive Gran Coupe / 2013 X5 50i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i xdrive GC / X5 50i

what ever you decide as far as the Gran Coupe color and going with the chrome trim or shadowline look......... you should definitely get these ASAP to replace the front amber reflectors

http://www.********.com/170/15/0/329...eflectors.html

I recently purchased a CPO, 2013 650i xdrive Gran Coupe, in Black Sapphire Metallic, with under 11k miles on it

....and so far I have: switched out the amber reflectors for paint matching color ones & tinted the windows. It looks much better this way!!!

I have the chrome trim on it which I like. With the tint it really shows off the slopping lines as the roof dips down with the back windows. I've thought about "blacking it out" as well as other doing things, but think I am going to leave it chrome. I also do not have the M-sport pkg. Which at first I was wanting a diff. style bumper like the M-sport style, but now I'm liking the "shark-nose" style my GC has because its much diff. than most BMW's on the road..... the M-sport front bumper is very sweet on the GC but does kind of make the 6series GC resemble other BMW series #'s from the front end at a "quick glance of amateur car enthusiast"
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #6
The Mangler
United_States
Rep

Not sure why the above website didn't fully show and the link not working

--anyways,
The company name is: RW Carbon --- BMW Painted Reflectors ---

They are based out of CA, and can be looked up in Google
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
The Mangler
United_States
Rep

JakeBMW

I love what you did with the grill, leaving the internal part chrome but making the exterior part of the grill kidney in black with the chrome grill lines still being there. (or is that grill all black, and in the picture it just looks kind of chrome for the inside bars?)

That's a plan I have to do to my GC. How did you do it? ......was the black part: vinyl wrapped / plasti dip sprayed / powder coated??? Or did you buy aftermarket grill that came that way with black and chrome?

**Also I want to do aluminum pedals and footrest. Where did you get those?? I've searched online but not having any luck for 650i GC models for ones that will fit. Please help -- thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #8
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mangler View Post
JakeBMW

I love what you did with the grill, leaving the internal part chrome but making the exterior part of the grill kidney in black with the chrome grill lines still being there. (or is that grill all black, and in the picture it just looks kind of chrome for the inside bars?)

That's a plan I have to do to my GC. How did you do it? ......was the black part: vinyl wrapped / plasti dip sprayed / powder coated??? Or did you buy aftermarket grill that came that way with black and chrome?

**Also I want to do aluminum pedals and footrest. Where did you get those?? I've searched online but not having any luck for 650i GC models for ones that will fit. Please help -- thanks!
You can find the no drilling style pedals (3 pieces) for under $40 shipped on eBay. Just search for BMW F10 pedals. They're all the same fitment. With real pedals you'll have to drill.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #9
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Just to close this out:

1. You CAN in fact order chrome trim with M-Sport. It's a $0 switch. My sales guy didn't know if it was possible, but after quickly checking it turned out to be a simple thing. I ended up switching it to chrome since the black trim on black car (what I had on the 550xi) really blends a lot. I felt it muted the lines of the 6GC quite a bit. Also, it looks like the 6GC M-Sport was originally launched with chrome trim, hence quite a few photos online showing it this way that I grew to like.

2. Unfortunately, no option for Jet Black if you opt for M-Sport. So, I went Black Sapphire this time around. It'll be a change. I'm not sure why BMW has this limitation honestly considering Jet Black, like Alpine White, is a staple.

Looking forward to the car arriving - based upon the production number I was given, it looks like the car should arrive sometime in late January.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #10
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Yep. All the '13 came with silver window trim Msport or not. All MY '14 came standard with shadowline. '14 prod date 4/13 and later came standard with digital gauges and the newer style steering wheels. Didn't know you can get the no shadowline option though.
Appreciate 0