BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-13-2022, 07:34 AM   #1
Willish
Registered
Rep
Drives: 640d

Question Retrofit Folding Rear Seats / Passthrough?(F12 640D)

Hi all,

I have been looking high and low to see if this is even possible without any luck, currently looking to buy a 640D 2-door Coupe and wondering if it's possible to replace the rear seats with folding options. If that isn't possible, I was wondering if a pass-through style option on the boot is doable. I've seen it on some other BMWs (Used for Ski equipment and such). If anyone has seen anything like this done on an F12 (no matter how custom) I'd be interested to see how viable it is.

Basically, I have a dog, he will get to be medium-large sized. I love the 2-door 640D, I fell in love with it immediately, but being honest with myself, getting him in and out of the back seats might be too much faff with the electrics having to slide forward and back (granted the saved seat placement does help mitigate this). This is why I'm looking for folding rear seats or pass-through, it would basically allow the boot to be used for him on journeys but I would never get the car if it meant him being completely sealed off (obviously).

Yes, I have considered the Gran Coupe, and while it is clearly a much better fit given my criteria I just did not enjoy the car to the same degree so for now, I'd sooner consider other 2-door options before getting a GC.

Honestly, I have never really liked BMWs in the past, there's something about the 6 series that has changed my opinion on that. I might consider a 4-series, but I've not been able to find one in the UK with a leather dash and I'm really after that premium interior feel that comes with the 6 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 09:15 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

The F12 is the convertible. I assume you mean the F13, which is the coupe. Other than the old adage that anything is possible with enough money, I don't think this is possible. As for folding seats, step one is a simple measurement of the seat back height vs. the available horizontal space. In my normal driving position I cannot picture the seat back laying flat. I think they are too tall. But even if they can lay it down, you still need to cut a major hole in your car behind the seat to fit a dog of any size. This is an idea you should probably just forget about. Your dog won't go into a dark boot anyway and will always be in the back seat. Look at it this way, over the life of your dog you will spend far less time waiting for the seat to move forward than you will spend working on this modification. I'd get the car and take your dog places in another car. That's what I did.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 09:23 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

You'd probably have to do a lot of fabrication since there are only 3 types of framework used on the 5 & 6 series. BMWs with rear fold down seats usually have different framing for the trunk partition because they usually increase structural stability to maintain side-to-side rigidity. The rear fold down seats in BMWs are usually very heavy vs many other brands where the rear fold down seats are light/feather-weight.

The sedans with through-loading (fold down rear seats) use #15 in the framework below...the 2 door 6 series coupes use #18. There doesn't appear to be any through-loading framework for the 2 door coupes:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0