05-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
M-sport exhaust sound

There has been discussions on this forum whether there is a different (more aggresive) sound from the pipes on the M-Sport or not.
Well, right now I read the option list from the Norwegian importer. Under "Option 337 M-Sport package" it's stated: "650i / 650i X-drive: Adjusted exhaust sound".
Since I haven't seen this information on the forum so far, I just wanted to end the discussion
      05-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 740Li 2021 M850i

There were a few discussions in other threads about the difference between regular 650i and M sport in terms of exhaust note. The general consensus that the M sport exhaust sounds louder and has a distictive note. There's an auto magazine that test drove the M Sport version and went as far as saying that the M Sport Package is mandatory rather for the sport exhaust system. Here's a quote from the article:

"If you are lucky enough to have the coin the Coupe commands, the M Sport Package is mandatory. It’s not so much the body kit and upsized wheel/tire package, nor is it the LED fog lights (all of which add much more machismo to the look), but, rather, it’s the sport exhaust system that adds the defining touch — an angry snarl to an already intoxicating note. When driven slowly, the tonal quality reaches a burbling roar just as the transmission upshifts. Stand on the gas and the basso profundo spurs the driver onward as a silly grin grows in proportion to the music the exhaust elicits. A buddy of mine was so enraptured by the sound, it’s now his ring tone — and they call me Gear Head!"
http://www.driving.ca/Road+test+2012...363/story.html
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Thanks for sharing that review! I hadn't seen that one. I completely agree with everything it says. I'm so glad I didn't pass the M Sport package - which was my initial plan. The looks are what sold me, but it is the exhaust that I am now in love with.

The main reason for the debate over the exhaust was the inconsistencies with what BMW was reporting. It seemed like much of the information that mentioned the M-tuned exhaust also mentioned the hexagon aluminum trim and other options that are not available on US models. Many dealers - reporting what the BMW info states - were saying that the M had the exact same system.

I think enough of us have driven both at this point to say that without a doubt the M Sport in the US also gets the upgraded exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Thanks for sharing that review! I hadn't seen that one. I completely agree with everything it says. I'm so glad I didn't pass the M Sport package - which was my initial plan. The looks are what sold me, but it is the exhaust that I am now in love with.

The main reason for the debate over the exhaust was the inconsistencies with what BMW was reporting. It seemed like much of the information that mentioned the M-tuned exhaust also mentioned the hexagon aluminum trim and other options that are not available on US models. Many dealers - reporting what the BMW info states - were saying that the M had the exact same system.

I think enough of us have driven both at this point to say that without a doubt the M Sport in the US also gets the upgraded exhaust.
Can you elaborate more on your experience with the M sport package, especially the sport exhaust? or the article pretty much sums it up? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The article is pretty good. I completely agree with his point that the M Sport package is a must. I drove a non-M for my test drive back in October 2011 and again in February while at the Performance Center, and both times I walked away unimpressed with the exhaust note. The first time I cranked an M Sport at the dealership I was shocked - as were the two salesmen standing next to me as this was one of the first M Sport coupes to make it to the dealership.

The following videos provide some idea of the exhaust note. The start-up sound is pretty representative. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to make another driving video on less congested roads. I haven't managed to capture the popping growl that the exhaust makes when you hit the higher RPMs in some situations. I'll try to get on that soon.

M Sport Exhaust at Start-up:

M Sport Exhaust while Driving:

As for the rest of the package...

1. The anthracite alcantara headliner is gorgeous. It's luxurious and sporty and works very well with the black Nappa dash and side Nappa trim on the doors.

2. The M steering wheel is thick and very comfortable. The normal steering wheel is nice, but I noticed that it felt a bit thin by comparison when driving the non-M convertible at the PC.

3. The aerodynamic body kit speaks for itself. The non-M coupe looks great, but M Sport makes the car look more aggressive. The car looks much better in the metal than it does in the pictures. I wasn't planning on getting it until I saw a Space Gray M Sport Coupe at my dealership.

4. The 2013s get shadowline - a very welcome change. I'm debating about getting my aluminum swapped for shadowline. I'm just very annoyed as it will cost about $1500. The package was $4400 in 2012 and it is the same in 2013... so, if I'm doing the math right, that means I'll be paying $5900 for the equivalent of the M Sport package in 2013.

5. The dead pedal with the stainless steel and rubber studs looks great in the driver's foot well. Small detail but looks great.

6. Rear diffuser - another sporty touch that works well with the overall look of the car.

7. ///M Door Sills - these look great, but it's disappointing that they aren't illuminated like the standard sills.

8. The 20" wheels (373M) are some of the best looking wheels in the BMW lineup. The downside is that they're a pain in the a$$ to clean - but don't let that stop you. They're worth it

Here are some more pics. I've posted these elsewhere, but doesn't hurt to do it again

Gotta give credit to Itinj. The car with the shadowline trim is his (he got it as a special order).

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by southern6er22; 05-20-2012 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The start-up sounds almost like my X6 50i...It's hard to capture the sound from inside the cabin, but I know how it can sound based on the X6. It's really interesting how a sporty exhaust note transform the driving experience...it tends to give you a sense of speed even if you're cruising.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I completely agree. That's one of the best parts of this car - it looks and sounds aggressive driving around town. You don't have to be showing off too much or driving on a track to make a spectacle. This car gets a lot of attention - more than I'd like...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I completely agree. That's one of the best parts of this car - it looks and sounds aggressive driving around town. You don't have to be showing off too much or driving on a track to make a spectacle. This car gets a lot of attention - more than I'd like...
Well attention from opposite sex is always welcome
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBMW6
Quote:
Well attention from opposite sex is always welcome
This is true.

Attention from creepers, however, is less welcome. I prefer to stick to my little community where I know my paint will remain unblemished and I will have all of my wheels at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
This is true.

Attention from creepers, however, is less welcome. I prefer to stick to my little community where I know my paint will remain unblemished and I will have all of my wheels at the end of the day.
Not to use the cliche lol, but this post actually did make me laugh out loud.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:21 AM   #11
itinj6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe

Having owned a non M-Sport 650 and now an M-Sport 650 + X6 50i, I can say with certainty that the M-Sport does have a meaner, louder, more distinct growl very similar (if not exactly like) to the X6 50i.

The non M-Sport 650 was very tame sounding. I heard more engine clanking and ticking than I did exhaust, with the door open. The only way to hear the non M would be if you were standing directly behind it. More so on a cold engine but once the RPMs come back down, it was quiet again. The M-Sport exhaust on warm engine in idle sounds tons better than the non M at high RPM. Lol. The M-Sport exhaust note is just nice and grumbly all the time.

Southern, you will be hearing from my attorney for copyright infringement.

I kid, thanks for using my pic as an example .

BS about the whole Shadowline thing for 2013. I had to pay extra for the special order but no where near as much as $1500 for a post delivery price. I say we all petition BMW to retrofit us with soft close and Shadowline at original cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinj6 View Post
Southern, you will be hearing from my attorney for copyright infringement.
Does stealing your pics make me one of those creepers?

I'm waiting for my IOU in the mail from BMW. They have my address. If not, they can explain why they so royally screwed us by PMing me. I would welcome an explanation... but a credit for shadowline and soft close would do just fine. I'll even drop the complaints about not getting the engine boost if they do this for me...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I'm waiting for my IOU in the mail from BMW. They have my address. If not, they can explain why they so royally screwed us by PMing me. I would welcome an explanation... but a credit for shadowline and soft close would do just fine. I'll even drop the complaints about not getting the engine boost if they do this for me...
Honestly, I wouldn't blame you for being upset. BMW has a reputation for making changes or adding features within short time frame that can frustrate new customers. Regarding the power increase, I starting a thread a few months back inquiring about that particular update. I knew it was coming eventually since the GranCoupe info release, however, I wasn't sure when exactly.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBMW6 View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't blame you for being upset. BMW has a reputation for making changes or adding features within short time frame that can frustrate new customers. Regarding the power increase, I starting a thread a few months back inquiring about that particular update. I knew it was coming eventually since the GranCoupe info release, however, I wasn't sure when exactly.
Yeah, I knew it would come, but I didn't think they would do it so soon. I figured they'd add it at the time of the LCI and keep it only for the GC to make it more exclusive. Guess I have no idea what I'm talking about
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I knew it would come, but I didn't think they would do it so soon. I figured they'd add it at the time of the LCI and keep it only for the GC to make it more exclusive. Guess I have no idea what I'm talking about
Since we're talking about sounds, I noticed in your blog that you regret not getting the B&O system? Is it really that much better than Premium Sound option?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I haven't had too much time to spend with the B&O, but what I have heard of it was outstanding. Others who have the system and have had more time with it are in love with it. I haven't heard one person with the system say that they regret the extra money.

I admit, there is definitely part of me that wants it just because the other boys at the sandbox have the toy and I don't. I bought my car outright, but I probably could have financed part of it and just paid $50 a month for the system so the $3700 premium price wouldn't be all at once on top of the rest of the car.

Don't get me wrong, the Premium is a really good system. If I'm completely honest with myself, I think I just want it because I have to have all of the coolest toys...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
jordanm3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5, 2015 435GC

Quote:

I would think that you could do a wrap instead of replacing all the trim....should be way cheaper than $1500.

Now, I'm out in the "big city" and I'm not sure if anyone down there in Alabama does that kind of work. It's probably not as fun as chasing your 12 year-old cousin around.

I kid, I kid! Mostly.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #18
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanm3
Quote:

I would think that you could do a wrap instead of replacing all the trim....should be way cheaper than $1500.

Now, I'm out in the "big city" and I'm not sure if anyone down there in Alabama does that kind of work. It's probably not as fun as chasing your 12 year-old cousin around.

I kid, I kid! Mostly.
Hahaha. I'm not opposed to six-toed children. We like diversity down here in Bama - about as much as tofu and wheat grass juice (we lick lawn mower blades and get the same flavor for a lot less money than the Whole Foods premium).

I thought about wrapping (I believe there's a shop attached to the tractor depot just left of the haystack ), but I'd rather pay more and just swap completely if I'm going to do anything at all. I don't care if it's $500 or $1500 - I care that I have to pay for it period (the principle).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #19
jordanm3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5, 2015 435GC

Quote:
Hahaha. I'm not opposed to six-toed children. We like diversity down here in Bama - about as much as tofu and wheat grass juice (we lick lawn mower blades and get the same flavor for a lot less money than the Whole Foods premium).

I thought about wrapping (I believe there's a shop attached to the tractor depot just left of the haystack ), but I'd rather pay more and just swap completely if I'm going to do anything at all. I don't care if it's $500 or $1500 - I care that I have to pay for it period (the principle).
Nicely done.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
GetWellSoon
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e92

love the exhaust sound on my car for sure, but southern you just fucking killed me with that black trim picture, i hate you hate you so much, and you told me to get it when ive ordered the car, and i thought it wouldn't look good, I hate you =(
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #21
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I wish I knew I could get it when I ordered it... especially since it is now standard on the 2013. BMW should have given me a rope embroidered with a blue and white roundel to hang myself with.
Appreciate 0