BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

OK, this is getting a bit ridiculous ...

I've had people come up to me at gas stations to complement me on the 650i (3 times since I've had the car). No biggie, we're both stopped, and you're like right there.

But today, while going out for lunch, two people went out of their way to gawk at and then complement me on the car.

The first guy was a pedestrian walking across the intersection while I was stopped at the light. He walks out of the crosswalk, to the back of the car (to see what model it was), then walks up to the driver side and gives me the thumbs up. If he wasn't in a suit, I would've thought I was going to get carjacked.

The second was a motorcycle cop, who pulled up next to me when we were both stopped at a light. At first I thought he was going to pull me over for having tinted windows (and no front plate), but he just smiled and gave me the thumbs up.

Just needed to get that off my chest ...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: SQ5

Attached Images

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNU...Q3Jp5G4lSkGdKQ
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Haha. Yeah, it's the price you have to pay when you drive a 6er... aside from that $100k price, gallons and gallons of premium, and the insurance lol.

Someone mentioned a while back that they got a thumbs up from a granny a while back. That is the ultimate in cool! :rofl:

I'm not a fan of the attention, particularly in the *ahem* sketchier parts of town. There are some gas stations I avoid completely just because of stranger danger - and they aren't even in horrible areas. I don't feel like I'm going to be mugged or anything, but I understand what you mean about the uncomfortable level of attention.

In feel like the 6er falls into the category of cars that people respect because it's sleek and elegant without being obnoxious and showy.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
markeh
Second Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2013 CB 650xi GC

The attention is multiplied at my age (18)
Can't say thats a negative though!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I had a guy try to spit on my car today from his car while stopped at a stoplight. Looked at the car, looked at me, then spit and drove off.

Quite an odd situation.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I had a guy try to spit on my car today from his car while stopped at a stoplight. Looked at the car, looked at me, then spit and drove off.

Quite an odd situation.
There are lousy people like that everywhere, and it doesn't matter what you drive. That happened to me when I was driving MCS convertible. The guy was driving a beat up Jeep Wragler. I was thinking, if he were to save his energy and do something positive instead of spitting on nicer car than his, then he might be driving a better car.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Quite an odd situation.
Odd isn't exactly how I'd describe.

F*cking stupid is more like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It's truly sad that there are these people in the world. This type of person is the reason why stereotypes exist and our society continues to diverge...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #10
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit
I've had people come up to me at gas stations to complement me on the 650i (3 times since I've had the car). No biggie, we're both stopped, and you're like right there.

But today, while going out for lunch, two people went out of their way to gawk at and then complement me on the car.

The first guy was a pedestrian walking across the intersection while I was stopped at the light. He walks out of the crosswalk, to the back of the car (to see what model it was), then walks up to the driver side and gives me the thumbs up. If he wasn't in a suit, I would've thought I was going to get carjacked.

The second was a motorcycle cop, who pulled up next to me when we were both stopped at a light. At first I thought he was going to pull me over for having tinted windows (and no front plate), but he just smiled and gave me the thumbs up.

Just needed to get that off my chest ...
The car undoubtedly commands attention but it's actually how the driver carries himself/herself that commands respect. Kudos!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Speedy_XL
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M

yea i get more head turns while im in my 2012 650i cab than my X6M. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
xraymd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M2, 22 Lincoln Navigator

Last year I came out of the mall and a guy was shooting a picture of my car with his camera phone. I just smiled as I walked by and got in the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
RussianVodka
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i GC

Quote:

Quite an odd situation.
There is a famous saying about Haters

I have very similar experiences with my 650i GC

Most of the people on the street admire and throw thumbs up, but there are some that actually hate on it lol.

Had my first thumbs down from a guy in Panamera the other day.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
ferny
Rep
Drives: 2006 650i

I've had that too, and I owned the vehicle less then a week. It's an amazing feeling knowing people hate or love the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #15
nwills
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Nothing but thumbs up for my 650 GC....I've had my car for close to 6 months and I haven't seen a single one on the road....it's almost starting to bother me as I feel like the only one who bought this car in the Toronto area!!! I know that a fair amount of folks out there aren't fond of the GC and it's price tag but I love it and get lot's of love while out driving it!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #16
Ice350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS350

I don't understand having even a slight problem with attention. Anyone who buys a car like this has to know it comes with the territory.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #17
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice350 View Post
I don't understand having even a slight problem with attention. Anyone who buys a car like this has to know it comes with the territory.
Don't think anyone here is suggesting that this is a "problem" -- just a symptom of being one of the few select owners.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 03:49 AM   #18
1BlinkGone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW 530i

Garage List
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
It's truly sad that there are these people in the world. This type of person is the reason why stereotypes exist and our society continues to diverge...

Another byproduct of a certain element driving the "class envy & entitlement" programming into brains of porridge.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #19
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

"Nothing but thumbs up for my 650 GC....I've had my car for close to 6 months and I haven't seen a single one on the road...." (something went bad with the quote feature)

Until recently, I have maybe seen one or two coupes on the road - until last weekend. I was waiting to make a right on red and another DSB coupe goes by, we make eye contact. I catch him up and we're driving side-by-side at 35mph with our windows down trying to carry on a conversation. He has X-drive with the std 19" (non-staggered) wheels and all seasons with black interior (vs my RWD, 20" V spokes and CB) but it was still weird.

Perhaps some day we will meet again, buit I kinda of like the exclusivity. It's amazing the looks I get just from other Bimmer drivers.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My dealership has sold several 6ers, but I'm not seeing them. I know a few of them have gone to customers in other areas along the gulf coast, but there's only one I see on a regular basis - and that's because it's also in the lot where I work.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #21
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have seen so many around where I live. When I visit the gym, there was another 650i coupe white, powder coated black wheels, lowered parked almost next to me. I saw a few 640i GC around, black sapphire, white, etc. There was a M6 blue convertible driving up and down that I encountered a few times when I got the car but not lately. I was driving home the other day and a 650i convertible was right behind me. I was thinking to myself, are they renting out these things for cheap??

At this time, my station wagon E-class is more unique as I never run into another yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #22
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78
I have seen so many around where I live. When I visit the gym, there was another 650i coupe white, powder coated black wheels, lowered parked almost next to me. I saw a few 640i GC around, black sapphire, white, etc. There was a M6 blue convertible driving up and down that I encountered a few times when I got the car but not lately. I was driving home the other day and a 650i convertible was right behind me. I was thinking to myself, are they renting out these things for cheap??

At this time, my station wagon E-class is more unique as I never run into another yet.
Living in Bama does occasionally have it's perks

Apparently the E63 AMG wagon is a lot more exclusive than the SLS. #mindblown lol
Appreciate 0