BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
Goodies
Registered
Rep
Drives: 640d GC

Bicycles and the 640d Gran Coupe

Go anywhere fast, in comfort and luxury, as long as you do not want to take a bicycle....

Having bought a 640d GC in May 14, I was aware the car could not take a roof rack.... Why? Anyway I saw in the brochure and on the website that there was a BMW snap on after market bike rack that goes on the back of the car. 4 days after buying the GC I went to get this priced up only to find it was not available for my number plate!? The same car without my plate was fine so I asked parts to check with BMW. As it transpires BM decided sales were poor so have discontinued the rear bike rack.

Great I thought so I looked for other brands of rear mount bicycle rack. As other forums here mention none of the good rack makers produce a rack for this car as the boot is made of fibreglass and is not structural.

It therefore seems you cannot put anything on the roof, you cannot use a boot mount rack and BMW are not offering their advertised rack. If then like me you are one of the many million keen cyclists you will probably be wise to buy a different car. More shame to the Olympic sponsors.

Anyone up for a class action for misrepresentation of the BMW 6 Series GC as a car capable of carrying a bike?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
RPB1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 Series 640d MSport

I've just ordered a GC last week ......see my other post and have also ordered with it and it is on my invoice to S&F Deler Fit Rear Bike Rack - £1,189.19 + vat
      05-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
RPB1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 Series 640d MSport

Goodies - thanks

You are correct very disappointing now for a re-think?

I wonder if these parts are available from the US or another other country although my dealer is implying its a model year thing from 13 onwards so maybe it's linked to design changes rather than lack of demand?

Anyone state side know if we can source these parts from US dealer?