E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Automatic Transmission Fluid Leak FIX!! BMW 335i(e92-e93)

09-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
CharlieBear
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 white red sold bc uknow

why must one replace the tranny pan? Can't you just clean it and reuse it and just replace the mechatronic sleeve and fluid?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #24
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBear View Post
why must one replace the tranny pan? Can't you just clean it and reuse it and just replace the mechatronic sleeve and fluid?
in my case the the Pan gasket was leaking..
I'm honestly still on the original mechatronic sleeve.

+ its always better to replace because it acts as a filter i think and filters the oil as its cycled thats what the cylinder looking this on the pan

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #25
Xtrs87x
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 05 z4

Any advice on how to get the mechatronic boot in? It just doesn't line up. Should I be pushing a little? I can get it in just enough to where only the orange seal is out. By than are the pins lined up? Or not yet. Any help appreciated. After taking forever to lock the sleeve into place patience is running dry.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #26
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Id try again.. but honestly i have 0 experience with that sleeve because i didnt replace mine

i really couldnt tell you. Maybe g_man0132 could help you but, it apperars he is not an active member.

Good luck, you can always ask for help in the turbo engine, drive train section.

Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_man0132 View Post
Went away for a couple of months on business and came back to find a stain on the garage floor. Took my car in to the local BMW dealer and was told the mechatronics sealing sleeve failed. Quoted at just over $700 parts and labor so I decided to see if it was something I could do. With this DIY, ATF change kit from CTSC and instructions on changing the sealing sleeve (6_speed_sleeve_replacement.pdf) I got the courage to take on the task .

Dropping the pan was relatively easy, although I had to use my kung-fu grip to loosen all the torx screws around the pan.
Removing the old mechatronics sealing sleeve was a little tricky because I have big hands and there is very little room to play with. I could only use 2 fingers at a time to try and maneuver the mechatronics plug around.

I used a pair of pliers to pull the old sleeve out which of course had the faulty OEM orange colored o rings. (Thank you BMW for charging me $700 to fix your mistake. )

Properly seating the new sealing sleeve was not too difficult at first. Just rotate the new sealing sleeve while GENTLY applying pressure inward until you feel a click, then go ahead and give it a push. Here is a pic of a properly seated sleeve. Note the notch lined up with the male end of the mechatronics connection.

At this point, the sealing sleeve locking mechanism was giving me fits of rage . The locking mechanism refused to budge until I applied some more pressure inward on the sealing sleeve while pushing up on the locking mechanism, then it finally locked into place.

It took me a while to get the mechatronics plug lined up with the pins in the transmission. Did it by slowly rotating the plug the same way I set the sleeve in place. There is a notch that has to line up perfectly or it will not work. Here is a good look at the plug and the notch.

Finally connected the plug with some patience, ok, a lot of patience .

After installing a new pan, it was time to fill the transmission case with ATF. I used the ZF Lifeguard6 that was included in the kit from CTSC. When I drained the pan I got about 5 1/2 quarts of fluid.

The fill plug was a beast to remove!! I had to spray a little WD-40 and use the lug nut key from my e36's trunk kit for extra leverage.

Even had a little scare when the hex key slipped and dug a gouge out of the fill plug .

I would recommend opening the fill plug BEFORE draining the pan. Just in case you strip the drain plug you don't end up with an empty tranny case crisis on your hands . Filled with just over 3 quarts of fluid when the case got full, closed the fill plug and idle'd for 5 min. Opened the fill plug again and added another 2 quarts. Idled for another 5 min, then added another half quart. Five and a half total quarts of fluid. Test drove around the neighborhood in MS mode went through all 6 gears smoothly.

Also this was very messy!! There was so much fluid on the garage floor, it looked like a hospital delivery room. Make sure you have plenty of hot towels and bandages! Or kitty litter to help soak up fluids.

Of course the big test is whether there is a stain again on the garage floor. So far so good no ATF leaking.

Thanks to sammy_0559 good job on the DIY . It inspired me to take on this DIY. In yo face BMW dealer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrs87x View Post
Any advice on how to get the mechatronic boot in? It just doesn't line up. Should I be pushing a little? I can get it in just enough to where only the orange seal is out. By than are the pins lined up? Or not yet. Any help appreciated. After taking forever to lock the sleeve into place patience is running dry.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #27
Xtrs87x
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 05 z4

got it. thanks for the reply. I just had to keep on going at it i suppose. hopefully no more leaks. after this.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #28
d3drturner
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Angry this applies to 335xi

The 335xi involves many additional hours of swearing to replace the mechatronic sleeve. You have to remove the transfer axle or whatever it's called to get to the fill plug. There is no way to get to the mechatronic without removing or at least loosening the transmission mount. I could get the mechatronic out of the tranny but there wasn't space to get the damn thing out between the tranny and the tranny mount and hence, no space to get the new one in. The rear tranny mount requires removing the exhaust to get the damn thing back in. I could get the main bolt out with enough prying to get the mount off but haven't been able to get it lined up because the big bolt hits the exhaust. Spent about 6 hours on it tonight. Probably another 6 tomorrow. Just letting people with the 335xi know that it's a lot more trouble...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #29
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3drturner View Post
The 335xi involves many additional hours of swearing to replace the mechatronic sleeve. You have to remove the transfer axle or whatever it's called to get to the fill plug. There is no way to get to the mechatronic without removing or at least loosening the transmission mount. I could get the mechatronic out of the tranny but there wasn't space to get the damn thing out between the tranny and the tranny mount and hence, no space to get the new one in. The rear tranny mount requires removing the exhaust to get the damn thing back in. I could get the main bolt out with enough prying to get the mount off but haven't been able to get it lined up because the big bolt hits the exhaust. Spent about 6 hours on it tonight. Probably another 6 tomorrow. Just letting people with the 335xi know that it's a lot more trouble...
DAMn!! sorry to hear, :/ add pics? maybe to show us all what it all looks like.
maybe an addition to this DIY. if i can get my hands on an XI i can polly put a decent DIY together.
anyways good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #30
d3drturner
Rep
Drives: 335xi

335xi update

got it all back together and tested at 100mph. Seems to work. Attached are some pics of the xi transfer axle and rear mount, which are in the way of doing this job.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #31
DRZZZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi, 95 NSX turbo

How did you top it off? Did you have to put it together, drive it around, remove the axle again, then refill it???
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #32
Mr_SDP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i F30 Sedan Manual

New to the forum. Have a 2006 325i with about 40k miles that i dont drive very often and noticed a puddle of trans fluid on the garage floor under the middle of the car just like many of you. I just want to know TRUTHFULLY how difficult this job is. Mainly because the STEALERSHIP quoted about $800 to replace the pan/filter and the mechatronics sleeve. So again how difficult is this DIY job? Thanks in advance for any replies!

P.S. I have an electrical engineering degree so I'm decent when it comes to fixing things. I've also changed the oil myself on this car if that helps in comparison...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #33
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_SDP View Post
New to the forum. Have a 2006 325i with about 40k miles that i dont drive very often and noticed a puddle of trans fluid on the garage floor under the middle of the car just like many of you. I just want to know TRUTHFULLY how difficult this job is. Mainly because the STEALERSHIP quoted about $800 to replace the pan/filter and the mechatronics sleeve. So again how difficult is this DIY job? Thanks in advance for any replies!

P.S. I have an electrical engineering degree so I'm decent when it comes to fixing things. I've also changed the oil myself on this car if that helps in comparison...
the sleeve can be a pain in the rectum. but everything else is easy if you follow the diy.

i was 17 when i did this, nd did it again couple months ago along with a new sleeve.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #34
Mr_SDP
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_0559 View Post
the sleeve can be a pain in the rectum. but everything else is easy if you follow the diy.

i was 17 when i did this, nd did it again couple months ago along with a new sleeve.
Ok cool. And exactly how do u know that u need a new sleeve?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #35
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_SDP View Post
Ok cool. And exactly how do u know that u need a new sleeve?
get break cleaner or parts cleaner, go under the car spray the sleeve and all around the pan check again in a day or every day for week to determine where its leaking from, but if your gonna do the pan might as well do the sleeve.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #36
Slowmotion
First Lieutenant
Rep

If you guys need Trans Fluid i i have BMW OEM fluid for 15 dollars per liter shipped
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #37
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stall37 View Post
If you guys need Trans Fluid i i have BMW OEM fluid for 15 dollars per liter shipped
how many you got i might need 6 or 7 for my transmission build.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #38
Mr_SDP
Private
United_States
Rep

I might need some as well since I plan to fix my trans leak in the next few weeks. Any deals on the trans pan/filter?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #39
Slowmotion
First Lieutenant
Rep

I have 12 liter of trans fluid left if anyone needs them. $15 shipped.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 03:22 AM   #40
Fro826
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F83 M4, F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3drturner View Post
I can confirm this, at least with an '06 xi, the transfer case is completely in the way for doing a mechatronic sleeve replacement. I went under the car with full intention of changing out the sleeve, but then I found that it would require dropping at least the exhaust and transfer case out of the way first. I measured the sleeve width and the space available to install it - the former was greater than the latter. My sleeve is not leaking afaik, was just planning on doing it as part of tranny pan/fluid replacement. I decided not to replace the sleeve (but still did the pan and fluid). If the sleeve ends up leaking then so be it, I'll have my indy replace it. I just don't have the time or a lift to make this job worthwhile to my as a DIY guy. Just hoping the sleeve remains in-tact for another 50-60K, then i'll have the indy do the sleeve and a new pan/fluid change. This kind of stuff makes the 'i' more appealing than the 'xi'. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #41
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Great DIY! Question, if not replacing the pan do you have to pump any old fluid out or will it all drain out? Looked like by the pan design you have to pump some out....was any fluids left in the pan when you removed it?
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #42
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Great DIY! Question, if not replacing the pan do you have to pump any old fluid out or will it all drain out? Looked like by the pan design you have to pump some out....was any fluids left in the pan when you removed it?
don't know about pumping out but there will be about half a quart left on the pan. 2nd time i dropped my pan i took a shower with remaining fluid. LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #43
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_0559 View Post
don't know about pumping out but there will be about half a quart left on the pan. 2nd time i dropped my pan i took a shower with remaining fluid. LOL
Lol! Can I use this fluid instead of the $30.00 BMW stuff.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-335...sion/ES251177/
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #44
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Lol! Can I use this fluid instead of the $30.00 BMW stuff.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-335...sion/ES251177/
i was just about to pm you back.

i honestly wouldn't use anything other than oem, just because the power levels we are at LOL thats just me i scored $15 a quart from the guy above for the fluid overhaul on the trans I'm installing this week. i got 9 and had 2 leftover so that should be plenty yeah it adds up :| i think there is a guy in the for sale section selling 7 quarts for $125 talk him down or give best offer. don't cheap out on tranny fluid the transmissions are reallllllyyy specific!
Appreciate 0