BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-03-2016, 02:28 AM   #1
a1rtran
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 640i

Rear suspension rattling noise 2012bmw 640i!?!?!?

Has anyone had any rear suspension noise issues? I seem to have some rattling clunking noise coming from my driver rear suspension when i go over certain hard bumps, mainly in city streets, no noise on the highway. Sounds like it's coming from the top mount. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:59 AM   #2
M6Havana
M6 f12 Havana
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Cab

Bushes most prob. Im having the same noise, changing my fronts. Prob wont help that your car is as low as a 70year olds tits
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Ive got this too. Got my car booked in at the dealer for investigation. If you do find the fault before next week, please do post up what it was. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 01:58 AM   #4
M6Havana
M6 f12 Havana
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Cab

Good luck if it is with bmw i was quoted £400 per arm, on the front we have 8!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
a1rtran
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwak View Post
Ive got this too. Got my car booked in at the dealer for investigation. If you do find the fault before next week, please do post up what it was. Thanks
Let me know what they say!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:08 AM   #6
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1rtran View Post
Let me know what they say!
They have found the issue, and although it sounds from the rear drivers side (as you say) it is actually from the front, but resonating back. It is apparently some part broken in the bump stop/cover assembly on the front shock that is rattling. It is just below the top mount, so it can sound like its the top mount!

I have seen it myself and the technician rattled it with his finger and it does indeed sound like it. A few technicians couldn't fault it, 'til the master technician digged deeper!

I am due to pick up my car end of the week, so will report back if it was this. They are fitting a new top mount and bumpstop/cover assembly. They didn't want to do it under warranty (despite being under manufacterers Warranty) but after much persuasion and speaking to BMW directly, they decided to agree.

Last edited by bmwak; 08-17-2016 at 04:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:09 AM   #7
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

Quote:
They have found the issue, and although it sounds from the rear drivers side (as you say) it is actually from the front, but resonating back. It is apparently some part broken in the bump stop/cover assembly on the front shock that is rattling. It is just below the top mount, so it can sound like its the top mount!

I have seen it myself and the technician rattled it with his finger and it does indeed sound like it. A few technicians couldn't fault it, 'til the master technician digged deeper!

I am due to pick up my car end of the week, so will report back if it was this. They are fitting a new top mount and bumpstop/cover assembly. They didn't want to do it under warranty (despite being under manufacterers Warranty) but after much persuasion and speaking to BMW directly, they decided to agree.

I had my rear passenger shock fail at 30,000kms which made the car feel unstable over small bumps and very bouncy. BMW fixed under warranty
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 09:08 PM   #8
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

I get a knock in my 2012 650i, sounds like a stabilizer linkage going bad, coming from the back. I fear how big a job that is in this beast. It's only occasional at this point, so I'm living with it for now.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #9
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Just an update, all replaced as above and noise is definitely gone!
Appreciate 0