BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #1
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

M4 to M6 ??

Guys/Gals I have a 2016 M4 with competition package not happy with it.. Multitude of problems starting with the rear def only got 3300 miles ,, it's a lease,, working with BMW on it.. Looking at maybe ordering a M6 coupe with comp package..

Pros:

and

Cons:

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

They're two very different cars, I'd say. You should just decide what you value most and see which comes closest to providing you with those values.

The M4 is smaller and lighter, designed to be tossed around a lot more. The M6 is a large GT sports coupe. The M4 will be more nimble, designed to carve corners. The M6 is designed to make it across a continent in comfort and luxury while at speed.

Without a doubt, the M6 is more luxurious - finer level of materials, much more leather surfaces, a few more gadgets to option, etc. It's also more powerful. But that all comes at a price, clearly. But as I said above, the M4 is clearly designed to be more nimble and athletic in the corners. It's not as heavy, and it's significantly smaller, making it more capable as, let's say, a track toy.

When you start to make one car a Swiss army knife, it becomes a large compromise - "jack of all trades, master of none." Know what you want to do with it - what matters most - and go after the car that best fits those needs. IMHO, the 6-series is best as a luxurious, sporty DD - something that gets you from A to B in a lot of style, luxury, and speed. But it's not a corner carver or track weapon. Get a different car for that purpose.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
m5sdse63
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC CP

I agree with the above points.

I went from an M4 to an M6GC with competition package. M4 was 2015 model before competition package was available.

No doubt M4 was maybe a bit more fun to drive due to it being shorter, lighter. It handled better and felt grippier. It felt a bit stiffer too.

The M6 feels long, wide and heavy after M4. M6 is noticeably quicker and faster and is a better interstate cruiser. The fit and finish of the M6 is on a different level from the M4, which feels spartan in comparison.

Bang & Olufsen sound system is vastly superior the Harman Kardon.

The V8 sounds better than 6 cyl.

I get more compliments in M6 than I did in M4. M6 feels a lot more mature, presentable and classy. M4 is more in its element on the track.

I didn't have carbon ceramic brakes on M4 and I do on M6. I was tired of constantly cleaning the wheels on M4 from the heavy brake dust.

I made the switch a little over a year ago and haven't looked back. That's all I can think of right now. Feel free to ask specific questions.

2014 M6
2015 i3
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

First of all thanks for the response guys ,,, it's not my intent to track either one of the cars and I forgot to mention that in my first post thank you, here is a copy of the post and the reason I'm looking on to an M6 ...

(First Post)
Not a Happy Camper with a New Rear Diff
Well had the new rear diff put in today at BMW and no more left the lot and on the highway between 60 and 70 miles an hour I get a constant vibration in the steering wheel, can you can feel it in your butt ,,, its about half as much vibration as you get when the Lane keeping assist vibrates ... by the way turned off Lane keeping assist and it's not that doing it ..... going to have to take it back next week anybody's thoughts on this or had that happen to them?

(Second Post)
Update on Rear Diff from Luke....
OK they put the new differential in and drove it,, I have a vibration between 60 and 70 mile an hour .. BMW said maybe driveshaft so they ordered a new driveshaft for it, put the driveshaft in,, vibrations a little better but still same vibration between 60 and 70 mph... went through all the questions about is it balances are not balanced so on and so forth. Redid all the tires balance in the shop ... BMW says it's fine.

This is BMWs explanation for the vibration.

Quote:
Competition package M4 do not use rubber bushings between the car frame and the carbody there for transmitting some vibration from the drivetrain to the car body. They said that the standard M4 has rubber bushings therefore does not transfer as much vibration.
Unquote.

BMW had a brand-new 2017 M4 competition package took it out and drove it and found it it had a very similar vibration as mine between the same 60 and 70 mph..

I have talk to BMW corporate about this issue and they are supposed to call me next week with the resolution.

I would really like to get your guys opinion on this vibration issue and whether anybody thinks this hold weight or not about the frame bushings.. and is anybody having this vibration issue ,,

and when I say vibration it's small but it's very noticeable ...

So now you see why I'm looking at the M6, I'm a two door guy,, just me ,, never liked the four door cars,, love the lines on the M6,, looking for more luxury and then the performance ,, but the performance is still important to me more so than a standard 6 series ,,, I want a stealthy car that the average Joe doesn't have any idea how hard the car will run ,,

Thanks for all the help ,,,, your comments are always welcome ....

Hope everybody has a great Christmas ....

don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 12:55 AM   #5
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

I think I can give you some pieces of idea.
I was with F13 for 5 years. The first two years two F13 650i (N63 and N63tu) and the last 3 years F13 M6 (S63tu). Lease was up month ago and I switched to M4 Coupe with CP.

M6: A sport-luxury car with amazing power and torque. The most beautiful BMW ever made IMO and so classy. My car was in SO/BLK and had DCT with full leather and executive package in addition to 20" 343M rims. It is a great feeling when you are in rolling race and could smoke almost every car including many exotic cars... but she is a big heavy car. You must be very careful on rainy/snowy days even with DSC fully ON. On sunny days MDM is ok as long as you know the car is not that much nimble to be managed on corners if you want to push it to the limit. I would say it's a monster highway cruiser. DO NOT TURN DSC OFF with this monster, she is extremely dangerous. If you lose the control it's almost impossible to get her back to the road. Not a track car at all !

M4: A truly fun car. More sporty, less luxury and much more nimble. about 600lb lighter and 10" shorter (length). You have fully control on the car even in MDM mode on rainy days. My M4 has Manual Transmission so it's even more fun to drive. M4 does not have some options such as soft close door or electrical steering wheel adjustment, but you really don't need them as daily base usage. I mean it's not a big deal at all. She is a good car on track BTW.

The seat is so sporty compare to comfortable seats on M6. Doesn't have 20 way adjustment even the head rest is not adjustable but it's designed the way is supposed to be for a sport car. It's hard to judge which seat is better but again I believe each one is good for the car it's designed for.

Exhaust note is not as good as V8 S63tu on M6 but the CP has new exhaust and sounds much better than regular M4.

I personally like the 666M rims on M4 CP more than 343M on M6 and also the black exhaust tips beside the more aggressive front look of M4 compare to M6; however the rear look of M6 is amazing. CF and M-calipers on both car look so nice.

To me they are two different cars both are carrying the same "M Badge" but completely different animals. Oh one more thing, believe it or not, M4 has more room on back seat; however has smaller trunk and obviously smaller hood because of smaller engine.

Just keep in mind shits always happen. On my M6 I had them replaced both the rear differential and clutch set and 3 times entire brake set including rotors and pads. This brake issue is because of heavy weight; so if you drive the cars the way I drive them and push them to the limit, make sure you have some monies in your packet for rotors and pads since starting 2017 model BMW free maintenance program no longer cover brakes.

So if you are looking for a sport-luxury car with more luxurious characteristic, M6 is the one will meet your expectation and like I said it's a monster. I still miss my M6, but I wish the next generation of M6 is smaller, lighter with more usable power/torque.
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
I think I can give you some pieces of idea.
I was with F13 for 5 years. The first two years two F13 650i (N63 and N63tu) and the last 3 years F13 M6 (S63tu). Lease was up month ago and I switched to M4 Coupe with CP.

M6: A sport-luxury car with amazing power and torque. The most beautiful BMW ever made IMO and so classy. My car was in SO/BLK and had DCT with full leather and executive package in addition to 20" 343M rims. It is a great feeling when you are in rolling race and could smoke almost every car including many exotic cars... but she is a big heavy car. You must be very careful on rainy/snowy days even with DSC fully ON. On sunny days MDM is ok as long as you know the car is not that much nimble to be managed on corners if you want to push it to the limit. I would say it's a monster highway cruiser. DO NOT TURN DSC OFF with this monster, she is extremely dangerous. If you lose the control it's almost impossible to get her back to the road. Not a track car at all !

M4: A truly fun car. More sporty, less luxury and much more nimble. about 600lb lighter and 10" shorter (length). You have fully control on the car even in MDM mode on rainy days. My M4 has Manual Transmission so it's even more fun to drive. M4 does not have some options such as soft close door or electrical steering wheel adjustment, but you really don't need them as daily base usage. I mean it's not a big deal at all. She is a good car on track BTW.

The seat is so sporty compare to comfortable seats on M6. Doesn't have 20 way adjustment even the head rest is not adjustable but it's designed the way is supposed to be for a sport car. It's hard to judge which seat is better but again I believe each one is good for the car it's designed for.

Exhaust note is not as good as V8 S63tu on M6 but the CP has new exhaust and sounds much better than regular M4.

I personally like the 666M rims on M4 CP more than 343M on M6 and also the black exhaust tips beside the more aggressive front look of M4 compare to M6; however the rear look of M6 is amazing. CF and M-calipers on both car look so nice.

To me they are two different cars both are carrying the same "M Badge" but completely different animals. Oh one more thing, believe it or not, M4 has more room on back seat; however has smaller trunk and obviously smaller hood because of smaller engine.

Just keep in mind shits always happen. On my M6 I had them replaced both the rear differential and clutch set and 3 times entire brake set including rotors and pads. This brake issue is because of heavy weight; so if you drive the cars the way I drive them and push them to the limit, make sure you have some monies in your packet for rotors and pads since starting 2017 model BMW free maintenance program no longer cover brakes.

So if you are looking for a sport-luxury car with more luxurious characteristic, M6 is the one will meet your expectation and like I said it's a monster. I still miss my M6, but I wish the next generation of M6 is smaller, lighter with more usable power/torque.

Thanks so much for all the info,, very helpful from all that replied ..

I'll keep you guys posted if I order one...

Merry Christmas to all ,, be safe out there !

don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0