BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
aahmichael
Rep
Drives: 2015 650ix GC

Vented seats

Our weather is finally hot enough that I tried the vented seats for the first time, and I'm not impressed. In fact, other than hearing the sound of the fan, I felt no cooling at all. I couldn't tell any difference between having them on or off. I'd like to know what others experience. Thanks

(P.S. The vented seats on my Jag are powerful. They definitely cool my entire body, and that's what I was expecting with this car too.)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmichael View Post
Our weather is finally hot enough that I tried the vented seats for the first time, and I'm not impressed. In fact, other than hearing the sound of the fan, I felt no cooling at all. I couldn't tell any difference between having them on or off. I'd like to know what others experience. Thanks

(P.S. The vented seats on my Jag are powerful. They definitely cool my entire body, and that's what I was expecting with this car too.)
I agree it is a more subtle cooling, i think we're just spoiled by now. Leather seats with no ventilation make your back all sweaty when it's 90+ outside. The ventilation may not freeze you but it does keep your back dry.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
ShakeDaddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Coupe

That's what everybody says as well. I've read that after 20 minutes the seats get a little cool but that's about it and disappointing.

I do like my leather seats without the perforation and opted during the ordering process to go without vented seats for that reason.
20” 373 Wheels--Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 Summers/ RIP RFT
M6 Spoiler-Full LED
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
aahmichael
Rep

I just did a little google search and found out what's happening. The vented seats in my Jag use thermoelectric cooling. That's why they get cold. The seats in the BMW just recirculate the cabin air. That's why they don't get cold. Bummer.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
bmrfam
Private
Rep
Drives: 335is vert & X5 50

Quote:
I just did a little google search and found out what's happening. The vented seats in my Jag use thermoelectric cooling. That's why they get cold. The seats in the BMW just recirculate the cabin air. That's why they don't get cold. Bummer.
You are correct. The BMW seats rely on evaporative cooling. When I picked my car up in Camarillo last week, it was 90 and dry so the seat cooled so well it felt like my pants were wet when they were completely dry.

Now that I am home in Laguna where it is 72 and humid, it is much less noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrfam View Post
You are correct. The BMW seats rely on evaporative cooling. When I picked my car up in Camarillo last week, it was 90 and dry so the seat cooled so well it felt like my pants were wet when they were completely dry.

Now that I am home in Laguna where it is 72 and humid, it is much less noticeable.
The BMW's just have fans in the seats moving the air for the back and the seat, I'm assuming that's why the option is called vented seats, if it was thermoelectric like the Jag they would probably call them cooling seats or something is my take on it.

I use thermoelectric cooling on one of my CNC's, it does produce pretty cold air compared to ambient. It's completely different than just using a fan to push air.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Maybe I just have a more sensitive a## than the rest of you but I don't use the vented seat fan cause I don't like feeling of that cold air there!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #8
bmrfam
Private
Rep
Drives: 335is vert & X5 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
The BMW's just have fans in the seats moving the air for the back and the seat, I'm assuming that's why the option is called vented seats, if it was thermoelectric like the Jag they would probably call them cooling seats or something is my take on it.

I use thermoelectric cooling on one of my CNC's, it does produce pretty cold air compared to ambient. It's completely different than just using a fan to push air.
Yes, that is what I meant by evaporative cooling. The sweat off your ass evaporating in dry air makes it feel cool. Still is just ass sweat and ambient blown air.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:55 PM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

The cooling temp can be lowered via coding.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 12:26 AM   #10
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
There are 3 levels on the fans, so what does coding do? Overclock the fan speed? Only way i could think it would lower the cooling temp..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 12:32 AM   #11
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit
Quote:
There are 3 levels on the fans, so what does coding do? Overclock the fan speed? Only way i could think it would lower the cooling temp..
No, it lowers the temp on each settings. I have done it on F10, F07, and F15. All of my customer likes it since. Especially for us who live in So.Cal, +100F in summer time is a norm.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 03:11 AM   #12
ShakeDaddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWnyc View Post
Maybe I just have a more sensitive a## than the rest of you but I don't use the vented seat fan cause I don't like feeling of that cold air there!
Wish I had vented seats so I could say something along the lines of you must be highly keyed into your male sensitivity than actually needed.
20” 373 Wheels--Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 Summers/ RIP RFT
M6 Spoiler-Full LED
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #13
aahmichael
Rep

Quote:
No, it lowers the temp on each settings. I have done it on F10, F07, and F15. All of my customer likes it since. Especially for us who live in So.Cal, +100F in summer time is a norm.
Lower what temperature? The seats only have fans. There is no cooling mechanism in the seats. They don't have the ability to do anything other than move the cabin air.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #14
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
I could be wrong (or sensitive) but the air coming through my seat feels cool.
I also had extensive coding changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #15
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again, they are fans, so increasing the speed is what you are doing. Can you explain how you would lower the air temperature otherwise if they are just fans with no cooling element? Either way I think they are great the way they are, I have never had vented seats before this car, so these are way better than none!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #16
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lower what temperature? The seats only have fans. There is no cooling mechanism in the seats. They don't have the ability to do anything other than move the cabin air.
Quote:
Again, they are fans, so increasing the speed is what you are doing. Can you explain how you would lower the air temperature otherwise if they are just fans with no cooling element? Either way I think they are great the way they are, I have never had vented seats before this car, so these are way better than none!!
I just did the coding.
It could be the coding is to lower the target value where the fan supposed to stop blowing?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #17
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just did the coding.
It could be the coding is to lower the target value where the fan supposed to stop blowing?
Could be, after a certain amount of time the settings will lower the fan from level 3 to level 2 on its own. Maybe via the coding it just stays on max constant? Or again like i said the coding may be upping the fan speed and keeping it at max setting. Because it is a simple fan system, what we were saying is that there can't be any settings for more or less cold, but more or less fan speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #18
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Could be, after a certain amount of time the settings will lower the fan from level 3 to level 2 on its own. Maybe via the coding it just stays on max constant? Or again like i said the coding may be upping the fan speed and keeping it at max setting. Because it is a simple fan system, what we were saying is that there can't be any settings for more or less cold, but more or less fan speed.
Could be. Under the coding, there is 3 different value that you need to change.
Based on the Hex code, it is the temp value in Celcius.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #19
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
The default for fan 3 is 30 degrees Celsius, while coding you can set that lower, I have only tried 25 Celsius. I am guessing there is a sensor that tells it how cold it supposedly is and the fan just disengages and reengages to stay around that temperature.

I don't believe the fan is blowing any harder after coding, I think it's just on for longer (until it hits the coded temp).
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 04:42 AM   #20
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrfam View Post

Let's just hope starting with the G11 7er BMW would introduce Cooling Seats...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 02:55 PM   #21
GreyCoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 650i Coupe

Some suck, [literally] like BMW, others blow, and a few actually cool, like Jag.

The BMW solution is puny. They need to improve this.
Enjoyed some fun cars over the years: 1966 Corvette Convertible, 240Z, E24 L6, 300CE-24, 2004 645 Ci, 550SL, A6s, 535xi, E300/Bluetec/420, Grand Cherokee Overland, 2012 650i Coupe, 12 CL550, 13 SL550, 15 650i Coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #22
CaliCanadian
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 A4 / 2015 Alpina B6

Definitely subjective but they work great for me. Hasn't been too hot in California lately but some days it has been 90ish and they do the job well enough for me to not complain, even though the ventilated seats in my 08 Escalade ESV seemed to actually cool instead of just blow air, but haven't had that car in a while so couldn't really say. Way better than driving a car without the option completely haha
Appreciate 0