09-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
How To: Install Software Updates for iDrive

In case anyone is interested, here is a post I wrote (and a demo video) that walks through the process of installing the newest software update for iDrive.

http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/20...dates-for.html

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
mo7ammed-87
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 650i

thnx man for info ..

there is any diffrent between the new update and the old one ???
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Southern,

This is not entirely related but I was hoping you can shed some light. Been bugging me a while now as no one or available cars at my dealership seem to be able to confirm. What are the options needed in order for the iDrive Office function to be enabled? I have specified already 6NF (Smartphone integration), 6NK (Bluetooth) and 609 (NAV Pro) for my upcoming order. Unfortunately, no one seems to be able to confirm that those are the options required to enable Office and I have not come across anything else that is specific to Office. I know I will need to wait for IOS6 for emails and SMS to appear but that's just round the corner. Appreciate any advise you can share.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Will the 2013 models come installed with the latest update?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
This is not entirely related but I was hoping you can shed some light. Been bugging me a while now as no one or available cars at my dealership seem to be able to confirm. What are the options needed in order for the iDrive Office function to be enabled? I have specified already 6NF (Smartphone integration), 6NK (Bluetooth) and 609 (NAV Pro) for my upcoming order. Unfortunately, no one seems to be able to confirm that those are the options required to enable Office and I have not come across anything else that is specific to Office. I know I will need to wait for IOS6 for emails and SMS to appear but that's just round the corner. Appreciate any advise you can share.
I've attached a pic of my original order sheet that shows the order ID codes. Looks like I have iPod and USB Adapeter 6FL, BMW TeleServices 6AA, TeleService Control 6AB, Smart Phone Integration 6NF, BMW Apps 6NR, and Combox Controller 6VC. I think the key requirement is Smart Phone Integration as Office isn't specifically part of BMW Apps, and it works via BT so the Combox and USB codes shouldn't apply. It is possible that there is something that we get standard in US spec cars that isn't listed here, but I think this list is pretty thorough given the number of items on here listed as "no charge" (N/C).

I don't have much experience with Office as I've never owned a BlackBerry and been able to use it, but I have high hopes for the iPhone 5 with iOS 6 integrating MAP for SMS and e-mails. I'll be thrilled when I can access Siri through some aspect of the system without having to touch the phone. With the phone in my pocket it is hard to find the Home button. She works decently for reading and sending texts (not perfect but good enough) but she doesn't do anything for e-mails - which, admittedly, is less important to me. I'll be happy when I can get to Siri without driving down the road looking like I'm doing something inappropriate when I'm really just trying to find that stupid button on my phone while it is in my pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post
Will the 2013 models come installed with the latest update?
I'm not sure. Someone on another board mentioned that the current update was actually made available in 12/2011, but I don't believe my car had it before I updated it two days ago (build date was somewhere around 12/20/2011 and finished production 01/04/2012). You can always go to the "Current Software" page (get there by following the same path demonstrated in the video), and it should show you the ID number for the current version. The PDF document on the new update (available on the same page where you download the actual software) should show the numbers, so you could compare the two versions that way. Sorry I can't give a better answer than that...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Nighttime Illumination:

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
I've attached a pic of my original order sheet that shows the order ID codes. Looks like I have iPod and USB Adapeter 6FL, BMW TeleServices 6AA, TeleService Control 6AB, Smart Phone Integration 6NF, BMW Apps 6NR, and Combox Controller 6VC. I think the key requirement is Smart Phone Integration as Office isn't specifically part of BMW Apps, and it works via BT so the Combox and USB codes shouldn't apply. It is possible that there is something that we get standard in US spec cars that isn't listed here, but I think this list is pretty thorough given the number of items on here listed as "no charge" (N/C).

I don't have much experience with Office as I've never owned a BlackBerry and been able to use it, but I have high hopes for the iPhone 5 with iOS 6 integrating MAP for SMS and e-mails. I'll be thrilled when I can access Siri through some aspect of the system without having to touch the phone. With the phone in my pocket it is hard to find the Home button. She works decently for reading and sending texts (not perfect but good enough) but she doesn't do anything for e-mails - which, admittedly, is less important to me. I'll be happy when I can get to Siri without driving down the road looking like I'm doing something inappropriate when I'm really just trying to find that stupid button on my phone while it is in my pocket
Thanks as usual Southern. I have checked cars over here with options 6NF and 6NK but without 609 NAV. The Office function does not appear on the main menu. I am hoping that the missing element is 609.

Fully agree on the SIRI button searching. I have an intermediate solution by attaching a raised button in the meantime. Not ideal but beats searching a recessed button while the phone is in the pants pocket as you mentioned.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
FANBMWM
If in doubt flat out - Colin Mcrae
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 LCI SMB M2 LCI LBB

Garage List
2010 BMW 760li  [10.00]
I installed it in my 2010 760li
And before the update I had to use the Y cable to listen to music from my iPhone and now I can use the normal white cable
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANBMWM View Post
I installed it in my 2010 760li
And before the update I had to use the Y cable to listen to music from my iPhone and now I can use the normal white cable
I'd say that's a legit update

Although, idk why you're listening to music when you have that glorious V12 on your 760Li
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
FANBMWM
If in doubt flat out - Colin Mcrae
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 LCI SMB M2 LCI LBB

Garage List
2010 BMW 760li  [10.00]
To hear The V12 i must go over 200km/h and go on sport but even than it is quiet
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANBMWM View Post
To hear The V12 i must go over 200km/h and go on sport but even than it is quiet
Really?!?! I feel like a 5 year old who just found out that there is no Santa Claus
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bump
Appreciate 0