BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
ClausCoupe
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: Soon: 640xi Gran Coupe

Frozen colors - maintenance?

Hi,

Just about to order a GC and was set to order in Citrin Black, but I'm still tempted by the frozen Bronze. I think it looks spectacular!

How are the frozen colors in real life when it comes to maintenance?
Scratches, washing and so on.

Also, say you damage the car. How is it for a local paint shop to match these exclusive colors?

Thanks!

/c
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Are you leasing or buying? On a 3 year lease I wouldn't worry too much about it, the maintenance is actually pretty easy. If you are buying I would worry about resale value and about long term care.

BMW recommends you go to the dealer to fix any damage with the paint, supposedly they are the only ones trained in their "frozen" paints.

Dr. Beasleys has some good info and products for frozen paints. But if you do a search though the forums for current frozen paint owners, I am yet to find someone that said it was a headache or thought it was a mistake to get.

http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/...en-paint-care/
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think it's still too early in the frozen color fad to determine whether they will be a PIA to maintain and upkeep.

Per BMW, for example, it seems like you can't even take it to a normal detailing or car wash guy.

I don't wash my own cars. Don't have the time, nor energy.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
mlai
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL

Garage List
The major issue that I have with frozen colors (BMW or not) is that I can't wax away the minor scratches. Also, I would much rather get the clear coat paint, and then do a quality clear matt wrap on the whole car, which doubles as a paint protector, and cost cheaper.........
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

I think these frozen colors are going to be trouble to keep showroom condition. Even a minor scratch will need BMW expert attention to repair. Honestly think it will be a passing fad.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
2re
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640d GC 2012, Frozen Bronze

What color Did you choose ClausCoupe?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

When I first saw the frozen finishes my immediate thought was for the maintenance and repair.
It's very obviously a matter of personal taste, but I don't think anything beats a traditional deep gloss shine.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe

It looks like primer on a first class car!! Not liking it at all. Save it for the Hot Rods!!........ I believe they are called "Rat Rods".
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
ClausCoupe
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: Soon: 640xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2re View Post
What color Did you choose ClausCoupe?
Hei!

I went with Citrin Black. Didn't dear to take the frozen bronze. Maintenance and also I think it's harder to sell.

/c
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

The frozen bronze is what got my attention on the gran coupe. It was the first picture I saw of the car, and the one that made me want one. A lot of people tried to talk me out of it, but now when they see the car in person they are always in awe.

I agree it's usually not worth the maintenance issues, but on a three year lease, I am not going to start caring about every little scratch or rock chip on the car. Although if I want another matte car next time around, a wrap does seem like a great way to go
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #11
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt

hey, folks....if any of you would like to hear from actual owners about frozen paint care, hit this link...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841594

it's a thread i set up over at M3 post to dispel any of the myths and ridiculous rumors on frozen paint. it's far more informative than the "handout" BMW has on the subject.

so if you're a frozen M6 owner or are looking to be or are just curious, stop by and take a look.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
2re
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640d GC 2012, Frozen Bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperjack View Post
hey, folks....if any of you would like to hear from actual owners about frozen paint care, hit this link...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841594

it's a thread i set up over at M3 post to dispel any of the myths and ridiculous rumors on frozen paint. it's far more informative than the "handout" BMW has on the subject.

so if you're a frozen M6 owner or are looking to be or are just curious, stop by and take a look.
Thankīs for the link Hyperjack

I have a Frozen Bronze GC, and to be honest, I was not looking for that color at all. In fact, not even a GC... I had a 2009 Black Sapphire Metallic 630 i,
and was looking for a new 640i or d. The only "problem" was; what color? "Everybody" including ourselves, have or have had a black, silver, hvite etc BMW, and we (my wife and I) wanted a different color this time. We went to Oslo, to have a look at some dealers there, and yes they have some nice 640īs an also GCīs. But the color was the same... Black, silver, white and blue. By all means, all great colors but more or less common...
But then we rounded a corner i the showroom, and there she stood! A 640d Frosen Bronze Gran Coupe with Ivory White Nappa leather and equipped with all the toys. An amazing car! We looked at each other, smiled and said in unison; Thatīs the one!! That statement was not so god for the wallet, because the salesman notice this at once... But what the heck....

The Frozen color really showing off all the lines of the car, and itīs also really cool to touch the satin (not matt) surface.

When it comes to maintenance, I can only speak for my Frozen Bronze, but I think it's a lot easier to take care of than all of my earlier cars with regular paint. My GC has only run 8500 km or approx. 5300 miles, but anyway I canīt see any traces of scratches and swirls. They most likely are there, but since the Frozen colors absorbs the light, you canīt see it.
I only wash the car with a washpuddel and lots of water added with Swissvax Car Bath from the Opaque series, dry it with a microfiber towel, and thats it
As mentioned on the other thread: "Just wash and go".

We are going for a long ride (15 000 km/9300 miles) to south France and Italy and of course to the BMW Welt, next month. Before that trip I will wax the car.
First, wash and go , then do a Pre cleaner and finally vaxing. All with the Opaque series from Swissvax.
Iīm sure the paint will get some heavy beating from insects etc, specially on the Autobahn.... so that will be my private test on the Frozen paint.

Have a nice weekend!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

I think it becomes an issue when you get a scratch or rock chips and you can't just touch it up. Also when you get into an accident not everyone will be able to repaint it.

That didn't stop me from getting a frozen color, but I can very much see why someone wouldn't get it for those reasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

An interesting read. I'd go for this finish if the car was to live in a showroom. But frankly, on a car to be used on the road, exposed to the elements, I could not live with the stress of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
There is an alternative option.

Get a 6GC in a regular metallic color that you know you like / wont tire off / has good resale value.

Then on delivery, have your car wrapped in the brilliant 3M range of matt wraps. This is naturally more resilient, has the same matt effect in white / black / bronze and several other colours and is done to expert levsl of application, you cannot honestly tell the difference.

And in a couple of years, should you ever get tired of the matt colour, unwrap to reveal your metallic car again.

A lot of high-end sports cars and coupes which would drop like a penny in value for a bespoke colour job or matt are now going for this option.

Worth considering.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

I might do that on my next car, depending if I lease or not. If I lease, I am fine keeping up with the frozen color for 3 years. If I purchase I would do the matt wrap.
Appreciate 0