BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
ematic76
United_States
Rep
Drives: 650I

I hit a pothole :(

I hit a pothole in NYC on the FDR drive!
Attached Images

07-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Merc1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AW

Youch. Every review says the the 6-Series is terrible, especially the larger the wheel, when it comes to dealing with potholes. Very crashy ride over the rough stuff. My only real fear/problem with the car. The wheels are simply too heavy for the suspension. Mercedes does a much better job with this on their cars with big wheels.

M
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
xraymd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M2, 22 Lincoln Navigator

I disagree, Merc1. I drive on some pretty terrible roads and haven't had an issue with the 6er. It rides much better than my 335 and a little better than my e55.

I did bend 2 or 3 wheels on my 335 on the same roads. I never bent an OEM wheel on my E55, but I did destroy one when I hit some road debris.

OP - Looks like you fought an alligator and lost.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Ice350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1 View Post
Youch. Every review says the the 6-Series is terrible, especially the larger the wheel, when it comes to dealing with potholes. Very crashy ride over the rough stuff. My only real fear/problem with the car. The wheels are simply too heavy for the suspension. Mercedes does a much better job with this on their cars with big wheels.

M
Can you show us the reviews that says the wheels and/or car are terrible?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Merc1
Private
Rep

Quote:
And though the ride is generally compliant, thin 35-profile front tires on 20-inch wheels result in pothole-impact harshness that sends shudders all the way through your bones.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review

Quote:
LLike the other BMWs that use this suspension design, the Gran Coupe rides great at first but then whomps over moderate bumps with slightly too much harshness. All hell breaks loose when you hit the big stuff -- you'll get an impact so harsh you'll think something broke. One highway-speed bump bottomed out the front-right suspension so hard it canceled the cruise control, prompting a message on the instrument panel that the feature would again become available when suitable road conditions returned. For the record, that bump was something that a Mercedes CLS or an Audi A7 would have taken in stride. In fact, most economy cars wouldn't have been seriously bothered by it.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...0i_gran_coupe/

Obviously it isn't a deal breaker, but it is something I've noticed in more reviews than with Mercedes' with bigger wheels.

M

Last edited by Merc1; 07-24-2012 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Sorry to see your picture!
So far 11000 kms without incidents of any kind in my F12 with 20" and RFT.
Ride is relatively comfortable, handling exceptionally good for a car this size.
      07-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Merc1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraymd View Post
I disagree, Merc1. I drive on some pretty terrible roads and haven't had an issue with the 6er. It rides much better than my 335 and a little better than my e55.

I did bend 2 or 3 wheels on my 335 on the same roads. I never bent an OEM wheel on my E55, but I did destroy one when I hit some road debris.

OP - Looks like you fought an alligator and lost.

Do you put it in comfort + for that type of driving?

M
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Ice350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS350

Quote:

Obviously it isn't a deal breaker, but it is something I've noticed in more reviews than with Mercedes' with bigger wheels.

M
You said the reviews said the wheels had issues.
The stuff you copied has more to do with the tires.
I test drove a 650i and it had run flat tires. I was told they are standard for the car. Runflats are much harder than non-runflats and provide a very hard ride. That's why i would ditch them for a set of Michelin PS2 or Supersports the minute I got the car.
I've been driving on 30-35 profile tires for many years with no complaints. If you want it even smoother, use an all-season tire and it will ride like butter.
Nothing wrong with bigger wheels. You just have to choose the right tires for your needs. A daily, go with all-seasons. An occasional driver, go with high performance. A weekend go cart, go with ultra-high performance summer tires. Car will ride hard but handle like a track star.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
xraymd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M2, 22 Lincoln Navigator

Quote:
Do you put it in comfort + for that type of driving?

M
I usually do in the rough areas.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Merc1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice350 View Post
I test drove a 650i and it had run flat tires. I was told they are standard for the car. Runflats are much harder than non-runflats and provide a very hard ride. That's why i would ditch them for a set of Michelin PS2 or Supersports the minute I got the car.
I've been driving on 30-35 profile tires for many years with no complaints. If you want it even smoother, use an all-season tire and it will ride like butter.
Nothing wrong with bigger wheels. You just have to choose the right tires for your needs. A daily, go with all-seasons. An occasional driver, go with high performance. A weekend go cart, go with ultra-high performance summer tires. Car will ride hard but handle like a track star.

You missed the point by a mile. The issue is a larger wheel, thin tire and a suspension all working together to produce the problem they're talking about. Its the entire setup. You're trying to isolate it down to just one thing and that isn't what I or the reviewers said. Don't matter if it is the tire of the wheel really, its the setup BMW uses. The wheels are seemingly too heavy for the suspension to adequately control them during the rough stuff. A 100K car shouldn't crash over bumps and make such loud noises if they're saying its competitors don't and regular economy car don't either.

Like I said before it isn't a deal breaker for me since the roads here are ok and I'm a careful driver.

M
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Sport can be a bit jerky in stop and go traffic and harsh roads (pot holes, changes in pavement, like some bridges, etc.) can be a bit rough, and I find that Comfort does make a noticeable difference in these situations. I spend 95% of the time in Sport, so it's not so bad that I feel the need to switch over to Comfort or Comfort+.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
sali
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 911, 16 Range Rover

Where did you hit the pothole on FDR? I have somewhat memorized the pot holes/road hazards on FDR and I avoid certain lanes depending on the exit.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
ematic76
United_States
Rep
Drives: 650I

I hit the pothole on the close the 23rd street exit in the right lane. As far as big rims go and tires my ride is very smooth all the time at all speeds. I do have the RFT on my car which i love. I am just happy it was a just a damaged rim nothing more.
      08-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1995 740iL

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice350
Quote:

M
+1

Aside from the tire complaints, one of the reviews are from car and driver, and they "promote" audi's
      08-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
Merc1
Private
Rep

Really? Now they're over promoting BMWs? That is a really tired excuse to use.

Not sure why this is so hard to grasp here, but they're saying the combination of thin tire and a big wheel is too much for the suspension to handle in the rough stuff. What that has to do with Audi is beyond me. These comments by several different magazines were not made during a comparison test.

M
Appreciate 0