BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
M Sport Package Thoughts and Pictures

I wanted to start this thread to give my opinion about the M Sport Package and provide some pictures that specifically highlight what you get for your money.

M Sport Package Features:
1. M Sport Body Styling
2. Exhaust
3. M Steering Wheel
4. Wheels (20” – style 373M)
5. Door Sills
6. Rear Styling
7. Anthracite Alcantara Headliner
8. Misc. – Foot Rest, ///M License Plate Frame, & Carbon Black Metallic Paint

Aside from going Individual, the M Sport Package is the most expensive option at $4,400. When I first started building my coupe several months ago I decided to pass on this option as I could not justify paying the price of a Rolex for a purely aesthetic package. Although I hated to use too much rational, practical thought in building this beautiful beast, I really thought that this was an option I could skip and still be happy with my car. Furthermore, I really wanted Black Sapphire (which isn’t available with M Sport) and my build was slightly under the $100,000 mark, and I wanted to keep it that way…

1. BODY STYLING – I was in love with my build until my dealer got a Space Gray M Sport 650i Coupe – it was stunning! It was the first time I saw the full LEDs (which I did include in my original build) in person, and that definitely had to do with my impression of the M Sport Coupe, but seeing the M body panels, wheels, and Anthracite Alcantara headliner (with black interior) in person changed my mind. From that point on I knew that I would be disappointed if I didn’t add this package – not a feeling you want to have after dropping $100K on a car. The price was steep for pure aesthetics, but I believed that the package transforms the car from a sexy and sporty luxury coupe to an aggressive sports car. I was also looking at the 911 and Jaguar XK-R, so aggressive and sporty was very important to me. Don’t get me wrong, the non-M Sport version is also a beautiful car, but I am 22 years old, and I loved the aggressive appearance of the M Sport (and knew that an M6 would be beyond the price point I should be shooting for).

2. EXHAUST – At this point I had only seen the difference and did not know about the difference in the exhaust note. I had seen a sport exhaust mentioned in a few articles, but they also included info about European spec models (including the shadowline trim and hexagon aluminum interior trim), so I figured it wasn’t available to us in the States. The exhaust was not a big deal to me, so I didn't think much of it – I was going M Sport regardless. My test drive was in a non-M Sport convertible, and the exhaust sounded pretty tame (more country club cruiser than savage sports car).

Fast forward two months and my dealer got an M Sport coupe. My CA got me the keys, I sat down, pushed the Start/Stop button, and heard a glorious growl coming from the back of the coupe (and saw awestruck looks on the two CAs standing beside the car). From that point on I knew that they had done something special with the exhaust in the M Sport variant. I drove a non-M Sport convertible during my PCD/101 last weekend (after having my coupe for nearly two weeks) and was again shocked by the muted sound of the non-M version. Not once while I was on the track with that car did I think, “damn, this car sounds good!” It was very muted whether I was in Sport or Comfort.

Despite the BMWNA info not mentioning the apparent difference in the exhaust, I later found out (thank you for confirming, thom.one.two – see thread “Exhaust Sound Mystery Solved!”) that they tinkered with the timing on the M Sport exhaust (650i and 650xi only). Apparently the M Sport and non-M Sport have the same parts, but they altered the air intake and fuel mixture to create the burbling/popping sound. Now that I have had my coupe for three weeks I’ve been able to fully appreciate the amazing sounds this car makes, particularly in Sport mode. When you put your foot down and get into the higher RPMs the car really comes to life and sounds like a full-fledged sports car and not a sporty looking 7 Series with two doors chopped off. I use the Dynamic Driving Control (DDC) as a “mute” button when I see cops (try not to attract too much attention) or drive through neighborhoods. It makes a huge difference in sound (most importantly), shifting pattern, and handling/ride (although the engineers did a good job with Sport mode as the suspension is not so tight that you feel like you’re going to need to see your orthopedist after driving to the grocery store – this may also have to do with ARS I added to my coupe). My mpg goes down (I’m averaging about 12 mpg with a range of about 170 to 180 miles) in Sport mode, but only slightly. Sport mode definitely makes the world around me sound better… despite the deleterious effect on the atmosphere. I think the sound is a public service I’m providing. lol

3. M STEERING WHEEL – this addition to the package seemed like an added bonus and just one more place for them to stick an ///M logo. I certainly was not expecting the steering wheel, of all things, to be one of my favorite features of this package. When I first picked up my car I noticed the added thickness and padding in addition to the more defined thumb notches. The wheel is perfectly designed for comfort and optimal movement with your hands at 9:00 and 3:00. All of the wheel features are easily accessible, and the black panel display is easily visible (given proper seating position). When I was at the Performance Center driving the non-M convertible I was really able to appreciate the difference. There is nothing wrong with the non-M wheel, but I could feel and overt difference, most noticeably a lack in the thickness and padded when compared to the M steering wheel.

4. WHEELS – I don’t have much to say about the wheels. I think the design is beautiful, but that beauty definitely requires a little upkeep. They have some tight spots that love to hide brake dusk, and it takes me more time to wash the wheels than the rest of the car. As for ride and handling, I am very impressed with how well the car handles on the Dunlop run-flat Performance tires on these style 373M rims.

5. DOOR SILLS – The ///M door sill inserts are a very nice touch. The only problem I have with them is that they are not illuminated like the normal inserts. Not sure why they made this decision, but the lack of illumination is slightly disappointing – I wouldn't give up the other M Sport benefits for some LEDs in the door frame.

6. REAR STYLING – there are a number of changes to the rear of the car, including the rear diffuser, dark chrome exhaust tips, and different positioning of the reflectors (slightly higher than the non-M model; right beneath the taillights). These are subtle differences, but they are a nice continuation of the aggressive, sporty appearance of the exterior.

7. ANTRACITE ALCANTARA HEADLINER – this was one of the more important features of the M Sport package for me. I have the black interior, and I really like the look of the dark Alcantara with the black Nappa leather. I like the contrast of the Ivory leather with the black dash and door panels, but I’m not a fan of the standard gray headliner with the black leather. I think the black Alcantara and Nappa combination really emphasizes the high quality and luxurious materials of the inside of the redesigned 6er.
8. MISC. – Other notable additions are the foot rest (“dead pedal”), ///M license plate frame, and the M-exclusive Carbon Black Metallic color. The foot rest is a nice addition to the driver’s foot well. The aluminum, rubber studs, and M logo really stand out as a subtle but well-designed touch. I’m hoping they come out with some aluminum pedal covers for the other two pedals in the future.
The ///M license plate frame is NOT part of the actual M Sport package. I picked this up at the Performance Center last weekend. I debated about getting it as I didn't want it to seem like I was trying to act like I have a true M car, but I decided it was okay since the logo is also on the wheels, door sills, and steering wheel. What do y’all think? Too much or acceptable?
Carbon Black Metallic is one of the coolest colors I have seen. As I mentioned above, I was not happy when I first realized that I couldn't get Black Sapphire with the M Sport package, but I am now glad that BMW didn’t give me the option. I am in love with this color for two reasons: (1) Exclusivity – so many BMWs on the road are Black Sapphire or Jet Black. Even though the 6 Series is a rare sighting where I live, I think the unique color compounds the rarity and exclusivity of my car. (2) Color Change – in overcast weather the car is completely black, at least as black as Black Sapphire, but in direct sunlight, or at nighttime with light shining on it, the blue really comes out. The metal flakes also come and go depending on the light.

FINAL THOUGHTS: In my post-purchase survey sent by the dealer I did complain about the lack of shadowline trim (in addition to the missing soft-close doors and automatic trunk) – figured this would be the best time to maybe get someone to read what we’ve all been complaining about on these threads. I like the look of the aluminum trim, but I think I would prefer the shadowline. In the survey I expressed my displeasure with possibly having to pay a premium aftermarket to change the trim, an option that should have been standard in such a package, especially given the price of the package.
The M Sport package, I think, is one of the most transforming options available for this car. It is kinda the same idea as the new F30 (3 Series) with the Sport, Modern, and Luxury lines as sub-vehicles within the same Series. I think it is smart of BMW to extend the lines by making these types of aesthetic changes to the same car to increase the variety of their cars on the road. I worry that BMW is going to get into trouble with all of the new vehicles they are adding that decrease the gap between the Series. I think Mercedes is taking a better route by simplifying the letters where each letter marks a specific class of vehicle rather than what I fear may happen with BMW where they use every integer and there is no gap in class or price – just my opinion on this matter.

BOTTOM LINE: Despite the hefty price tag, I think this package is worth every penny. BMW is likely charging $4,400 because they can get away with it, especially on a car like this, but I’m still happy to pay the premium for the added features the package offers. The way I see it, if I upgraded the exhaust and added the M steering wheel, headliner, wheels, and tires as individual options I would likely be approaching the $4,000 mark. Therefore, the M-styled body panels are practically free! Haha. Okay, that’s a bit of a stretch, but I’d do it again without a second thought.

Please feel free to add your own pictures and thoughts to extend the utility of this thread for future F12/F13 customers. I tried to include information and pictures that I would have liked to know/see during the long, but incredibly fun, building process. Hope someone finds this helpful!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is a picture of the foot rest I forgot to post as well as a pic of the HUD showing how nav. instructions are displayed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

You have a beautiful car. I am glad you're happy. It sounds like you made the right decision with the M package. I must however, burst your bubble on the exhaust.

I know it's been a matter of debate, but I have confirmed with my contacts at BMW (I work for a supplier) that there is no difference in the exhaust (other than the tips) or the engine management software. If you don't believe it, ask your service guy for the engine software code number for 650i vs 650i with M sport package. No difference.

BMW would not pay to certify EC and US emission standards for two different EM systems just to change the sound of the exhaust. The difference some people sometimes hear is the VC exhaust flap opening and closing under different operating conditions. I hope this info doesn't start another long thread of discussion on this exhaust sound topic. I am sure the engineers at BMW would know - they designed it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sorry for re-opening that debate. I don't disagree with you, I just mentioned it is for those who are interested in the package and have strong feelings about the exhaust sound. Maybe the difference in sound has to do with the weather, the specific cars I drove, or it could all be in my head, but I just wanted to share my personal opinion. Sorry, I don't want to turn this into another exhaustive exhaust thread - just wanted to clarify why I included this controversial topic.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Nor did I intend to reopen the debate. Please, no need to apologize. I completely understand your post. Very well written, by the way. Great photos too.

Hell, I'm jealous you got your car already. Mine is still at the port in Bremerhaven.

Based on your description, the Carbon Black sounds a lot like the Jerez Black on my M3. I do love it and they way it changes in different light. Keep it shiny. Hopefully I can post pics in about 4 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Four weeks?!? Hopefully you'll get it a little sooner. Can't wait to see the pics!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe

Shadow Line Trim??

Hey Southern......... great info and opinions. Curious, in Canada we got the shadowline trim. Your "as delivered pics" show yours as chrome and are now a kind of flat black?? Did you paint them?? Our trim is like the ceramic controls, a gloss black.

Tinted glass and a few other "things" yet to come and I will post pics.

WHEELS... I am and have always been a show car guy with the muscle car enthusiasts and cleaning wheels is just ..... cleaning wheels?? Hell, try to keep our Ivory carpet clean!! Our current car is a 65 GTO.

Also, we "must" have a front plate (tag) but we will wait for the warning! Can you have only the rear plate there???
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That's the same aluminum trim as before. The shadows in some of the pictures darken its appearance. I might change it out, but I haven't quite decided if its worth the hefty chunk of money for it. I don't dislike the aluminum - just like the shadowline better.

Luckily we don't have to have the front plate in Alabama, but many other states do require it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #9
itinj6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe

Great review!!!

Here in NJ, you need a front plate but I already asked for the front plate delete. I will wait till the cops break my balls a few times before I even consider putting it on lol.

Reference the M license plate frame... If BMW wants to charge you $4400 for the M-Sport Package and sleep well at night, then I don't think you are out of line by adding the M plate frame. They already factory inserted the logo in more than one place and if its fine by them, then it should be fine by everyone else. I think that crossing the line would be adding M6 (or the M logo) to the rear deck or anywhere on the actual body of the car, grille included. Enjoy it!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nice writeup

On the Exhaust, the M-Sport has a different center muffler and a different rear muffler box compared to the regular version
      02-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #11
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
You have a beautiful car. I am glad you're happy. It sounds like you made the right decision with the M package. I must however, burst your bubble on the exhaust.

I know it's been a matter of debate, but I have confirmed with my contacts at BMW (I work for a supplier) that there is no difference in the exhaust (other than the tips) or the engine management software. If you don't believe it, ask your service guy for the engine software code number for 650i vs 650i with M sport package. No difference.

BMW would not pay to certify EC and US emission standards for two different EM systems just to change the sound of the exhaust. The difference some people sometimes hear is the VC exhaust flap opening and closing under different operating conditions. I hope this info doesn't start another long thread of discussion on this exhaust sound topic. I am sure the engineers at BMW would know - they designed it.
The part numbers for the Centre muffler and the rear silencer box are different for the M-Sport version

650i
Regular Centre section 18 30 7 616 456
M-Sport Centre section 18 30 7 629 377

Regular Rear box section left/right 18 30 7 605 455 / 456
M-Sport Rear box section left/right 18 30 7 629 137 / 138
      02-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #12
roadsta
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i

Quote:
I must however, burst your bubble on the exhaust.
Not the case.

The uk site http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesand...-bmwuk,00.html

See 'Exhaust with enhanced sound characteristics' under exterior equipment.

The Australian site confirms. See the att, it refers to a 'characteristic sound' for the m-sport.

Driven both, trust me it is very different.

roadsta
Attached Images

02-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for your input everyone.

Itinj6: That's kinda that I was thinking. I just wanted reassurance that the perception wasn't the same as those people who buy a 328i and stick an M3 badge on the rear deck lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe

"M" trunk Logo

Well, I guess before I post up the pics........... I am guilty of getting rid of the 650i on the rear trunk and had the "M" added in it's place. The package came with the "6" as well, but it is not an M6 !!

I guess this is more of a personal choice........... hope y'all don't think I "broke the law" !!! We like it. It tends to leave people wondering.."what the hell is that"????

Also have a little something coming for the front facia!! Going to the glass shop this am for some much needed "smoke"
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsta View Post
Not the case.

The uk site http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesand...-bmwuk,00.html

See 'Exhaust with enhanced sound characteristics' under exterior equipment.

The Australian site confirms. See the att, it refers to a 'characteristic sound' for the m-sport.

Driven both, trust me it is very different.

roadsta
We live in the US, not the UK or Australia. I take the word of the engineers over marketing materials. The US info states we get soft close doors - never saw them on a 6er. A lot of this material is published before products are released. However, I have forwarded your info (and the PNs above) to the engineers I know at BMW. I will report back their findings.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Thanks for your input everyone.

Itinj6: That's kinda that I was thinking. I just wanted reassurance that the perception wasn't the same as those people who buy a 328i and stick an M3 badge on the rear deck lol.
Years ago some bastard stole the M5 badge off my E39 M5 trunk lid. He's probably still driving around in his 525 thinking he's got people fooled.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Thanx for a well written and informative post. Your car is very good looking indeed. Not at all bad for a guy at 22 cruising around in other peoples dream car!
I wish the M sport package had been avaiable when I ordered the F12
Nevertheless it's impossible not to be satisfied with the 6'er. And in black it looks cool anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
BOTTOM LINE: Despite the hefty price tag, I think this package is worth every penny. BMW is likely charging $4,400 because they can get away with it, especially on a car like this, but I’m still happy to pay the premium for the added features the package offers. The way I see it, if I upgraded the exhaust and added the M steering wheel, headliner, wheels, and tires as individual options I would likely be approaching the $4,000 mark. Therefore, the M-styled body panels are practically free! Haha. Okay, that’s a bit of a stretch, but I’d do it again without a second thought.
What you say is true, but it depends on your appreciation of each and every feature in the package. I made a configuration test (on the Norwegian BMW site) and actually got the body styling for "free".
Same thing happened when I last week ordered an F20 as a daily driver. So this time I picked the M Sport package. It's a much better deal than the ordinary Sport Line.

Last edited by Superspeed; 02-21-2012 at 04:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #18
roadsta
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i

Quote:
We live in the US, not the UK or Australia. I take the word of the engineers over marketing materials.
This 'we' does not live in the USA. This is an international site.

I, for one, take what I read on official websites more seriously than hearsay.

Here is a USA site (since that seems to be more credible in your mind) which says:

"Exclusive for the cars equipped with the M Sport package are the Carbon Black and Imola Red colors. The top two models, 650i and 650i xDrive also get a sport exhaust system and therefore a more powerful engine sound."

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/08/08/bm...essive-design/

See E90Fleet's post above. Even the part numbers are different!

Finally, if all this black-on-white does not convince you, go to a dealer and ask them to cold start a 650 M-sport. Then, one without. QED.

Last edited by roadsta; 02-21-2012 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: spell
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 05:11 AM   #19
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

By "we" I meant Southern6er and me - as we were discussing this matter. No disrespect intended. Like I said, I didn't want this to become another debate on this topic. If you believe everything you read in black and white, then, well enough said.

I will take the word of the engineers that work for BMW over hearsay, which is exactly what blogs are. I have read pretty much everything on the web about this matter as well as listened to the cars - no difference. No need to keep providing links. However, since this is such a deeply debated topic, I have once again bothered my busy friends at BMW to look deeper into this matter for vehicles that are shipped to all parts of the world.

Of course the rear box PN's are different, the finishers are different. I cannot explain the center box, but again perhaps in South Africa, things are different or the PN refers to something else. Please be patient while the engineers that work in Dingolfing look into this - again. I will post their response as soon as I hear back.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #20
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:

I get compliments all the time on my exhaust note - and I have a non-Msport F12. Now perhaps I'm in the minority but I like the classic looks of the F12 without the Msport package. That being said The Mpackage is worth more on the coupe due to the added Alcantara headliner which looks great Other than that I prefer my ///M's on the attached pic..

Flame suit on...
Attached Images

2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #21
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

No flame from me. I too passed on the M package, mainly due to the fact that I also have an E92 M3 now and I'm looking to move away from the racier look of the M to the more classic look of the "base" 6er. Besides, my wife liked the base version better and I need to keep her happy when spending this much on a car.

I too would prefer the Alcantara headliner, but I can live without it. My M3 doesn't have it, but my E39 M5 did. Nice stuff. My company uses this material to sew and wrap various components. Suffice it to say, it ain't cheap.

Regardless of option preference, exhaust sound or colors, we are ALL very fortunate to be able to afford these cars and enjoy the advantages that come with owning such a fine automobile.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #22
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan
Quote:

I get compliments all the time on my exhaust note - and I have a non-Msport F12. Now perhaps I'm in the minority but I like the classic looks of the F12 without the Msport package. That being said The Mpackage is worth more on the coupe due to the added Alcantara headliner which looks great Other than that I prefer my ///M's on the attached pic..

Flame suit on...
I agree. The non-M coupe is beautiful as well. All three variants (including Individual) of the 6er are brilliant cars. I only wish that they allowed for M Sport exterior + Individual interior. Again, not that there is anything wrong with the standard interior, but they did such a fine job designing tge options I'd like to be able to have a bit of both.
Appreciate 0