BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      03-31-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
6smc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 650

Engine Malfunction, Reduced Power

Hello everyone,

I was driving my 2007 650i Coupe and stopped at a store to pick up some stuff at night after getting off from work. When I started the car, I got a "Engine Malfunction, Reduced Power" error on the idrive and HUD. I went home and parked the car, the next day I tried to start the car and it started but then it shut down and I got all kinds of light on the dash.
I did some searching and some people on some forums said it might be the alternator or the battery along with the ISM, I replaced all those (band new) and still shuts down. I ran DIS and I get a DME - 2B9D DME: Control Unit, internal fault: Overvoltage error.

Does anyone know what this means or what it can be?

Thank you.

Last edited by 6smc; 04-02-2015 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Mistype Error
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6smc View Post
Hello everyone,

I was driving my 2007 650i Coupe and stopped at a store to pick up some stuff at night after getting off from work. When I started the car, I got a "Engine Malfunction, Reduced Power" error on the idrive and HUD. I went home and parked the car, the next day I tried to start the car and it started but then it shut down and I got all kinds of light on the dash.
I did some searching and some people on some forums said it might be the alternator or the battery along with the ISM, I replaced all those (band new) and still shuts down. I ran DIS and I get a DME - 2B9C DME: Control Unit, internal fault: Overvoltage error.

Does anyone know what this means or what it can be?

Thank you.
You're gonna have to take it to a shop/dealer.. This is the F12/13/06 forum so most of us are still under warranty and this would just be a malfunction the dealership would handle.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 12:50 AM   #3
JimM6GC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC; '16 B6

I assume that the fault code was cleared or otherwise reset by the installer after the new parts were installed, and then the fault code came back again?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
6smc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM6GC View Post
I assume that the fault code was cleared or otherwise reset by the installer after the new parts were installed, and then the fault code came back again?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 11:53 PM   #5
JimM6GC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC; '16 B6

If you want to give it another shot before taking it into the dealer, I would recommend a one-day, $30 subscription to the official BMW Technical Information System (if you haven't done so already). I have not used the diagnostics resources there, but there certainly is a wealth of reliable information to be found there.

Good luck, and please post the answer when you get it resolved. It sounds like something we all could benefit from.
Appreciate 0