BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-17-2023, 05:20 PM   #1
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650i Xdrve

2014 Convert top not working

I have a 2014 650i convert and the top stopped working. History, last week, I had to have the power steering cooler replaced and since then, it hasnt worked. The windows go down, and the wing things on each side go up, but the rear trunk doesnt open and it sounds like the two front locks arent unlocking for some reason. Really weird, it worked flawless until we had that issue with the power steering cooler last week. Can anyone thing of a connection?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 10:11 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

A connections seems unlikely. Do you have anything to read codes - even Bimmerlink?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 07:28 AM   #3
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
A connections seems unlikely. Do you have anything to read codes - even Bimmerlink?
Totally agree, just odd timing. Im going to try to read the code today, but im not going to mess with it because was worried about it closing last night, or at least the side skirt things. I turned it off then back on and then they went down and the windows went back up, but i dont want to risk it going half way down then i cant get it back up. I read through the manual process last night and it doesnt look fun...
Its sensing im getting rid of it...

thx
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 08:18 AM   #4
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

So, to put some closure on this issue, I took it to the dealership and turns out, that when the power steering cooler got a hole in it and the chasis went into to some type of lock down mode, sorry forgot the exact term he used, it also locked out the ability to lower the convert. top. They had to reset/reload something in the computer to make it work again. Must have been relatively minor given the didnt charge me for it other than the diag. fee.
Hindsight, i should have followed Opie55s advise and pulled some codes to see if i could have reset it myself, but i honestly didnt think it was going to be that easy. 10yo car with convert. issues didnt sound that odd. I had a SL500 that had convert. issues pretty much yearly when i started using it again in the summer...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 09:08 AM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Wow, cars are so weird and interconnected these days. "You need new wiper blades, so you won't be able to open your glove box."
Appreciate 0