BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

What's the worst quality of the F12/F13?

For me, it's those nasty blindspots created by the A-pillars.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
spdrcrgtr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Heritage

on the 640 ... the auto start/stop function. I HATE IT!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcrgtr View Post
on the 640 ... the auto start/stop function. I HATE IT!
You know you can have that permanently disabled, or on the "off" side, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit
For me, it's those nasty blindspots created by the A-pillars.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Lack of an auto trunk. Pulling that thing shut makes me curse BMW every time.

The blind spots do suck, but you get used to them. I wish I had gotten the top view camera, but I'm coping.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Lack of an auto trunk. Pulling that thing shut makes me curse BMW every time.

The blind spots do suck, but you get used to them. I wish I had gotten the top view camera, but I'm coping.
I agree, lack of auto trunk is lousy. Also, lack of soft closing door option. They put the car together so tightly that if sunroof is not cracked open I have to slam the door twice most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78 View Post
I agree, lack of auto trunk is lousy. Also, lack of soft closing door option. They put the car together so tightly that if sunroof is not cracked open I have to slam the door twice most of the time.
The windows roll down a bit when you open the door, to relieve the pressure and create the trapped seal when the door is closed. There is also a pressure relief box in the trunk (as with most modern cars) to prevent the pressure spike you describe and aid in flow through ventilation.

Bottom line, your doors should not be "bouncing" off a cushion of air. If they re, there may be something wrong.

That said - I would love to have soft close doors and power boot lid. I am convinced the parts from the 5 or 7 could be installed in the 6 to add the power boot lid, but it would require some deft mechanical skills. I would try it but it's not worth the money to me since I lease.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
The windows roll down a bit when you open the door, to relieve the pressure and create the trapped seal when the door is closed. There is also a pressure relief box in the trunk (as with most modern cars) to prevent the pressure spike you describe and aid in flow through ventilation.

Bottom line, your doors should not be "bouncing" off a cushion of air. If they re, there may be something wrong.

That said - I would love to have soft close doors and power boot lid. I am convinced the parts from the 5 or 7 could be installed in the 6 to add the power boot lid, but it would require some deft mechanical skills. I would try it but it's not worth the money to me since I lease.
May be the roll down isn't quite enough. Door bounces off, but I always avoid slamming the door, so that might contribute to my problem. I baby it too much.

I would love to retro fit auto trunk and soft close. It seems like it is doable, but it will take a bit of work.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe

Well, we have the soft close doors, top view camera but the trunk self close should have been an option!!

Our issue is at speed...150mph+ the car becomes unstable. We have just received the rear deck BMW M6 spoiler and is being installed next week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Msport

Soft close must just be a US omission, in the UK most of the launch cars had them. Mine has got them and to be honest I don't find them that usefull as I'm used to coupes with big doors, so slamming the door is second nature. My GF on the other hand loves them. Most other people find them a cool features. Especially my GF brother, but he's been scarred by a door window that broke when someone slammed his door (must have been something already wrong with it, but he can't shake the fear of slamming doors now and constantly lambasts me when I slam them).

I believe kick to open trunk will be available with comfort access shortly (that was going to be an omission I'd mention).

So ill have to go with the lack of power close trunk, particularly as the trunk isn't very heavy/springs to open it are quite strong, so it really takes a good push all the way down to close it. Mine often bounces back up.

WRT coupes/verts I would say the useless rear seats are the biggest negative. Given the size of the car either make them useable or just make it a two seater :/
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentos View Post

WRT coupes/verts I would say the useless rear seats are the biggest negative. Given the size of the car either make them useable or just make it a two seater :/
Those seats are nice to have to reduce insurance premiums.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

One more. Extra large sun roof that only opens up an inch. I don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Package 20" wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
One more. Extra large sun roof that only opens up an inch. I don't get it.
I was told that was due to the low roof line and to not corrupt the beautiful interior. Mine is without hesitation the lack of a power trunk closer. I simply don't like touching the car anymore then needed. I find myself putting more things in the back seat/footwells then ever before just to avoid opening the trunk. But that's my only gripe. It's still the best looking car on the road and the full leather interior is as good as any in the industry regardless of cost or brand.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLusts4BMW View Post
I was told that was due to the low roof line and to not corrupt the beautiful interior. Mine is without hesitation the lack of a power trunk closer. I simply don't like touching the car anymore then needed. I find myself putting more things in the back seat/footwells then ever before just to avoid opening the trunk. But that's my only gripe. It's still the best looking car on the road and the full leather interior is as good as any in the industry regardless of cost or brand.
Why not use the interior grips underneath the trunk lid to pull it shut?

It is annoying there is not button. The X3 has power trunks.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post

My trunk is so springy, so grip on the underside of the trunk is useless. Plus, the car's aerodynamic design leaves so much dust deposit on the trunk and tailgate. That will probably be my 1st retrofitting project.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78 View Post
My trunk is so springy, so grip on the underside of the trunk is useless. Plus, the car's aerodynamic design leaves so much dust deposit on the trunk and tailgate. That will probably be my 1st retrofitting project.
You know, now that you mention it, that is a major design flaw. The rear deck and tailgate seems to collect dust like unkept attic.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #17
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Package 20" wheels

Quote:

Don't feel like taking the chance of crunching my hand under the truck. Plus my husband did that and he ended up slamming the truck after two failed attempts to make sure he didn't get his hand stuck under the truck. No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #18
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

It would appear BMW finally had enough complaints about having to slam the trunk on a $90,000 car. 2014 model will have a soft close trunk, likely part of the Exec Pkg which already includes soft close doors.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
It would appear BMW finally had enough complaints about having to slam the trunk on a $90,000 car. 2014 model will have a soft close trunk, likely part of the Exec Pkg which already includes soft close doors.
Great, so Ive got the soft close doors that I didn't really care about. But next year that option will include a feature I actually want :/
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #20
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

My only two real complaints are the blindspot created by the rearview mirror, and the default "Comfort" mode on startup.

The dust on the trunk lid is annoying, too, and you can't reach the top of the deck when it's open, so you end up with fingerprints in the muck.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

The thing that annoys me the most is that BMW Apps is only compatible with the Iphone. It would be so much more useful if it could be run on android.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #22
spdrcrgtr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Heritage

Quote:
You know you can have that permanently disabled, or on the "off" side, right?
HOW?!?!?
Appreciate 0