BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC

Does anyone wish..

Your M6 had the glass roof like the standard 6 Series?.. I currently have a 650i and one thing that's keeping me from upgrading to the M6 is the carbon roof. I literally keep the shade back at all times and love the sunlight I get from the glass roof. I like the M more for the styling than the performance so the added weight of a glass roof wouldn't deter me from purchasing an M car.. What are you guys' thoughts?..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I have the LCI M5 and enjoy the sun roof light that comes in, however I have the M6 GC CP on order and will not really miss it on that car.
I like the idea of a lower Centre of Gravity.
      06-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMHoLLa
Your M6 had the glass roof like the standard 6 Series?.. I currently have a 650i and one thing that's keeping me from upgrading to the M6 is the carbon roof. I literally keep the shade back at all times and love the sunlight I get from the glass roof. I like the M more for the styling than the performance so the added weight of a glass roof wouldn't deter me from purchasing an M car.. What are you guys' thoughts?..
The glass roof defeats the purpose of the M6. If it had a glass roof it would be too much like a 2 door M5 (or even foor door if you're considering the Gran Coupe). The M6 is a performance car and one of its key staples is it's low center of gravity. Sunroofs or moonroofs would ruin that and I don't think BMW would ever go for such a thing. I for one hate sunroofs, so I wouldn't want that on an M car and wouldn't specifically seek it out on a non-performance car either. If it's the M6 styling rather than the performance that you're after, surely there are some mods that can be done to your 650i to approach that styling, otherwise it's kinda of a waste if you're not truly embracing and appreciating the kind of performance the M6 brings to the table.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre
Quote:
The glass roof defeats the purpose of the M6. If it had a glass roof it would be too much like a 2 door M5 (or even foor door if you're considering the Gran Coupe). The M6 is a performance car and one of its key staples is it's low center of gravity. Sunroofs or moonroofs would ruin that and I don't think BMW would ever go for such a thing. I for one hate sunroofs, so I wouldn't want that on an M car and wouldn't specifically see it out on a non-performance car either. If it's the M6 styling rather than the performance that you're after, surely there are some mods that con be done to your 650i to approach that styling, otherwise it's kinda of a waste if you're not truly embracing and appreciating the kind of performance the M6 brings to the table.
Understood... I didn't realize the indentation in the Carbon Fiber roof was for a lower center of gravity... Makes sense..

I looked into updating the look of my 650i to get the wider stance of the M cars. While researching I found that the reason the stance looked so good was due to the fact that M fenders and wheels were wider. Going for a wider wheel wouldn't give me the same effect so to speak. My lease isn't up for a while so there plenty of time to ponder this. Just wanted the thoughts of some of the M6 owners.. Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre
Quote:
The glass roof defeats the purpose of the M6. If it had a glass roof it would be too much like a 2 door M5 (or even foor door if you're considering the Gran Coupe). The M6 is a performance car and one of its key staples is it's low center of gravity. Sunroofs or moonroofs would ruin that and I don't think BMW would ever go for such a thing. I for one hate sunroofs, so I wouldn't want that on an M car and wouldn't specifically see it out on a non-performance car either. If it's the M6 styling rather than the performance that you're after, surely there are some mods that con be done to your 650i to approach that styling, otherwise it's kinda of a waste if you're not truly embracing and appreciating the kind of performance the M6 brings to the table.
Understood... I didn't realize the indentation in the Carbon Fiber roof was for a lower center of gravity... Makes sense..

I looked into updating the look of my 650i to get the wider stance of the M cars. While researching I found that the reason the stance looked so good was due to the fact that M fenders and wheels were wider. Going for a wider wheel wouldn't give me the same effect so to speak. My lease isn't up for a while so there plenty of time to ponder this. Just wanted the thoughts of some of the M6 owners.. Thanks..
Not just the indentation, the indentation in the F12/F06 M6's CF roof enhances the effect, but the actual Carbon Fiber, being much lighter than steel or aluminum, ensures that the center of gravity is lowered by allowing the bulk of the weight to be concentrated in the lower portion of the car. Adding a metal roof and on top of that a glass panel with mechanical machinery to open and close it would make the roof much heavier making it much harder to control body roll. Just like it's harder to keep perfect balance on one leg while holding a big heavy item over your head.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

I love the carbon fibre roof. A lot of people have commented on it aesthetically, notwithstanding the performance benefits. It's one of the features that makes the M6 special. Besides, in the UK we only get sun for about 2-3 weeks a year
      06-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

My vote for CF ! you need to get used to it and then you will admire this gorgeous roof!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
I love the CF roof. Very sexy...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #9
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
I love the CF roof.

A sun roof would reduce the head room by an inch or so as well as increasing the weight of the roof. The only times I've opened the sun roof on my E39 M5 in 6 years, except for when I changed the head liner, is to wash it!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
Not just the indentation, the indentation in the F12/F06 M6's CF roof enhances the effect, but the actual Carbon Fiber, being much lighter than steel or aluminum, ensures that the center of gravity is lowered by allowing the bulk of the weight to be concentrated in the lower portion of the car. Adding a metal roof and on top of that a glass panel with mechanical machinery to open and close it would make the roof much heavier making it much harder to control body roll. Just like it's harder to keep perfect balance on one leg while holding a big heavy item over your head.
I did not realize this.. Your explanation has given me a new respect for the M6.. It makes perfect sense.. I test drove one a while ago and even in normal driving the handling is noticeably better than my 650... I plan on acquiring one.. The only issue now is whether or not to do ED.. And what color combo to get.. I am thinking silverstone with the black 20" wheels..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #11
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMHoLLa View Post
I did not realize this.. Your explanation has given me a new respect for the M6.. It makes perfect sense.. I test drove one a while ago and even in normal driving the handling is noticeably better than my 650... I plan on acquiring one.. The only issue now is whether or not to do ED.. And what color combo to get.. I am thinking silverstone with the black 20" wheels..
You will be in love with your beast as soon as you get her
and 20" rims are a MUST ! before you order it, just go and see two different M6 with and without Full leather... IMO Full leather is another must
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #12
SlashM6
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 vert loaded

Or u can just go for a M6 vert the way I did. Lol. Tons of fun. Hear much more sound then the coupe and less active noise nonsense or what ever it's called.
Appreciate 0