BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
rpolin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 Lotus Evora

Looking to get a 650i Xdrive Cab - need help

I apologize right up front but I'm in need of some help with what I would like to call a First World Problem, which is which car to get.

I previously had an Audi S4, than an RS4, then a 911 Cab, and currently a Lotus Evora. All are a blast with the Lotus by far being the most fun car to drive ever, hands down. However after going thru a full knee replacement at only 46 years old, I need something a little easier to get in and out of these days to use as my daily driver.

As I part with my Lotus , I'm struggling with what to get next and having never owned a BMW, I am leaning towards it as my next toy. I am trying to decide between the M4 or the 650i with Xdrive, both as convertibles and two very different drives I'm sure.

As it relates to the 650i, here are my newbie questions:
- How reliable is the car? In other words, are regular trips to the dealer to be expected?
- What is body roll like? I know it's not a Lotus or a 911, but is it like driving an old station wagon?
- Any particular things I should look for or avoid (i.e. upgrades, etc.)
- Do you guys still love your 650's as much today as when you first got them?

Lastly, yes, I'm hitting the dealership again this weekend for another test drive but during test drives, we all get jaded so I wanted opinions of those that have been driving them for a while. Thanks to all who respond. Greatly appreciate it.

PS- I am looking into getting either a 2013-2014 CPO or a 2015 new model year.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
While the 6 Vert isn't the easiest to get into, it's got to be better than the Evora.
I see you're in Ct. so if you're getting or keeping the original RFTs you'll need Road Hazard Insurance.
Test drive on a day when you can take the top down. If there's a rear windscreen put it up. If not get one.
Did my test drive at the beginning of December and insisted on putting the roof down. Salesman thought I was nuts but that sold me.
As far as 6 vs M4 they're very different. You'll have to decide for yourself
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
rpolin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 Lotus Evora

Thanks for the feedback and after my 2nd test drive, the 6 Series is just too big for me coming from the Lotus. The M4 is next on my list if I can actually find a dealer close by that has a convertible in stock that is.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Get M4 and leave 6er for next couple years ...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0