BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-01-2023, 06:50 PM   #1
tigersako
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i Coupe

Question Massage seat retrofit possible?

Hello everyone,
I have a 2014 650I coupe with every option except for massaging seats. Which is weird because I have the upgraded ventilating seats but no massage function. Seeing that the seats are the same as the massaging seats, i was wondering if i could just buy the panel with the button and code it in. Any help would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 08:36 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersako View Post
Hello everyone,
I have a 2014 650I coupe with every option except for massaging seats. Which is weird because I have the upgraded ventilating seats but no massage function. Seeing that the seats are the same as the massaging seats, i was wondering if i could just buy the panel with the button and code it in. Any help would be much appreciated!
I am pretty sure you can't. The massaging seats are different because they have air bladders in them and the pump to operate the bladders, and I doubt the seats that came in cars without the option have the bladders. But have you actually tried this function in another car? If you do try it, you will probably laugh at the idea of adding it because laughs is mostly what it's good for. It does not massage. It just slowly - and I mean slowly - inflates and deflates an airbag alternately under each butt cheek to rock you side to side. I always tell passengers to turn it on, then I wait a couple minutes until they invariably say "that's so weird!" and then they turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 03:01 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Ditto…its just bladders that lift/lower each butt cheek to prevent fatigue on long journeys…or if you actually have a sore hip or pelvis…the gently rocking may give some little bit of relief. The massaging (active) feature on the f06/f12/f13 is not as advanced as the newer massaging seats that have active bubbles in the upper back section…but neither our type or the new type are like getting a jujitsu massage like those chairs in the mall…or a deep tissue massage from a masseuse. This option is only to prevent fatigue…not give you a massage that could actually put you to sleep. You’re driving, not sitting in your home trying to relax.

The action of the active seat feature simply does what you do when sitting for a long time…we tend to shift our bodies form one cheek to the other (basically rocking our pelvis which gives some relief from sitting in a stationary position for a length of time)…the active seat feature does this gentle rocking for you.

If you are driving for a long distance, it really can help prevent fatigue from sitting in the same position for hours. But if you’re just running to Wally World to pick up a gallon of milk…you will probably find it weird or annoying as mentioned in the post above.

Index Explanation
1 Seat surface, left front seat
2 Air cushion 1
3 Line from the pressure distributor for the active seat (master) to air cushion 1
4 Line from pressure distributor 2 for the active seat (slave) to air cushion 2
5 Air cushion 3
6 Line from pressure distributor 2 for the active seat (slave) to air cushion 3
7 Line from the pressure distributor for the active seat (master) to air cushion 4
8 Supply with compressed air from the pneumatic pump
9 six-pin plug connection
10 Distributor (distributes the compressed air delivered by the pneumatic pump to both pressure distributors)
11 Pressure distributor 2, active seat (slave)
12 Connection for supply with compressed air from the pneumatic pump
13 Pressure distributor in the active seat (master)
14 Air cushion 2
15 Air cushion 4

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-06-2023 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 05:56 PM   #4
SFGent
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Alpina B6

Massage seats aren't worth the hassle, imo. I have them in my car and don't use them bc they don't do much for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 03:08 AM   #5
Minacious
The Dovahkiin
Rep
Drives: LCI M6 GC, other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGent View Post
Massage seats aren't worth the hassle, imo. I have them in my car and don't use them bc they don't do much for me.
Exactly this. They are pitiful at best. Yes, if your rear is starting to go numb after a very long drive, I can see them helping some, but it will be very minimal relief.

You're in Los Angeles, if you want to see how they feel, let me know; I'll grab the M6 and take you for a ride to feel the disappointment. I can almost guarantee you will no longer worry about them.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 04:21 PM   #6
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Besides the hardware requirements (bladders, pumps, valve blocks) you will also require wiring, coding and a significant amount of manual labour.

I installed a lumbar bladder with massage from aliexpress on my ex-650i F12 and that was pretty hard work.