BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Car parking carelessness

That'll be me being careless / stupid / lazy.....for daring to park next to other people. Not just people though, but utter cretins who've damaged my M6 to the point that I'm not sure if it's fixable without a new door.

Seems someone has opened their door on mine, but to have created the depth of dent and total removal of paint on what is the stringiest part of the door, I can only assume they slammed their door into mine. Purposefully? I wonder.

It's right on the swage line, where the metal feels really solid and I'm not sure this will push out back to a nice straight line. Regardless, even if it does push back out, the door will definitely need repainting.

So, what do you reckon chaps....is this kind of dent repairable (without the use of filler) or is it going to need a new door?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
My god. Sorry to hear about this Palmnuts. My wife is always getting on me for spending $20-50 on VIP Valet service every time we go out to a crowded public place, specially at night, but like explain to her, it's the only way of making sure it's parked away from the idiots who don't care about damaging my door. I know some members have expressed disdain towards using valet services, as stories of joyrides are not unheard of. But with the premium valet services your car is usually parked right at the front of the venue a few feet from where you drop the car, sometimes they don't even have to drive it or you can park it yourself, and you can keep your keys with you most of the time which eliminates the fear of joyrides. Two weeks after getting my current M6 I had to park at a groceries store (so obviously no valet) and as soon as I came out I had a dent in my passenger side door. No paint damage and being a small dent my dealer was able to pop it right out. The dealer who does this kind of repairs for me can tell me right away from pictures if the damage can be simply suctioned out or if it needs a more invasive repair method. I had 2 removed from my wife's Mini and they were able to tell me it was repairable by simply sending pictures of the damage to them. I'm going to forward them they our pictures to see what they think but judging from the depth of the dent it seems you would need some filler to fix it and obviously to repaint the door. So this sucks but it's repairable. In the meantime when there is no other choice I usually park in spaces where a) there are no other cars in the area (most of the time this means the most furthest, secluded space in the lot) or b) other cars can only park on one side of my car (reduces the chance of getting dents) to avoid this kind of thing from happening.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
BTF13M6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

Wow.. really sucks. Doesn't surprise me though.

Twice in the last week, I parked in THE furthest spot from the door of the store I was going into. Literally the furthest spot, with no other cars within 30 spots of me, only to find in BOTH instances a POS car parked right next to me when I came out.

I mean really, can't people show a little respect. Even if you have a POS, treat it with respect and it will pay you back when it's time for the next POS. Or, maybe you don't respect your high dollar vehicle (not us on here.. others) Fine, just damage your own vehicle and respect other peoples property.

I hope you can fix it. Wish the world were a little kinder.

Ben

20" ADV.1 5.0 MV1SL with Pirelli Pzero's
Custom Painted Grill, side markers and tinted front reflectors, Dinan Stage 1.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2014, 12:22 AM   #4
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF12M6
Wow.. really sucks. Doesn't surprise me though.

Twice in the last week, I parked in THE furthest spot from the door of the store I was going into. Literally the furthest spot, with no other cars within 30 spots of me, only to find in BOTH instances a POS car parked right next to me when I came out.

I mean really, can't people show a little respect. Even if you have a POS, treat it with respect and it will pay you back when it's time for the next POS. Or, maybe you don't respect your high dollar vehicle (not us on here.. others) Fine, just damage your own vehicle and respect other peoples property.

I hope you can fix it. Wish the world were a little kinder.

Ben
This really ticks me off whenever it happens. I mean, you park your car in the place that would seem the most inconvenient of them all for anyone else to park, usually where there are around 20 more spaces around you which are empty, just so that your car can be left alone. Moments later you find someone parked exactly next to it, ignoring all the other empty, more convenient spaces they could have chosen. Sometimes I think people do this kind of things on purpose, as if they knew what my plan was and simply felt like giving me the proverbial finger.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 01:26 AM   #5
michel lane
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F13

That's bad news, my wife is always moaning at me parking in the middle of the tesco where no other cars are around , have you ever noticed when you get back , the empty space is filled up with several around you , but the rest of the car park is stil empty ! .

My rule of thumb , park next to a new car if there are no spaces available !

The body shop will be able to get that out , they would drill a small hole into the dent, attach a rod to pull it out , then fill it and paint . You would never know it happened .

I hope you get it sorted, unfortunately it's the price you pay, living in a world full of morons with no respect for other peoples hard earned joys.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:22 AM   #6
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Andrew, that REALLY sucks.

Thats my bugbear in the UK.. I can go into a car park, park in emptiest area with loads of spaces around and you can be sure when you get back, someone has decided to park next to you regardless of all the spaces around.

I've just had the pax door on my X3 done in the local Sainsbury, I was gutted and would be more so on the M.

While its on the crease, I think you *may* find some of the work they can do these days very smart.

Sickening on a new car though
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

This would send me up the wall Andrew
I have the Blackvue Camera fitted now just in case some arsehole does this kind of thing, it's down to jealousy end off.
It will be able to be repaired as previously said, it can be pulled/ pressed/ shaped/ and painted as good as new, BUT you know it's been done and thats the pain.
      05-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
RiverRunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
That pisses me off! If their was no strong winds at the time, they intended to damage your car. I was sitting in my car waiting for my wife to come out of a store and was hit by a wind blown metal shopping cart on my front passenger door. It shook the car, but did no permanent damage, only left a transfer mark from the plastic bumper on the shopping cart on the lower section of the door. It rubbed off and left no deformation in the door or paint. I'm sorry either way.
2019 Porsche 911 Turbo 991.2
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

Wow. I would say someone did that on purpose. Doesn't seem likely that amount of damage would happen with someone just 'opening' their door to get in their vehicle.

That just makes me sick

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #10
ice7
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M's

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
That is a crucial door ding. I agree, that ding was done with intention to damage your car. Too many haters out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #11
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
In the meantime when there is no other choice I usually park in spaces where a) there are no other cars in the area (most of the time this means the most furthest, secluded space in the lot) or b) other cars can only park on one side of my car (reduces the chance of getting dents) to avoid this kind of thing from happening.
I do the same thing or I park my car beside another expensive car. This way it's driver does hopefully care about his/her car when he/she open or close the door
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
That really sucks, it would piss me off no end.

I agree with everyone else here, it does not matter where you park, some one will park right next to you even if the car park is totally empty. I try to find a place next to a kerb so that limits it to one side.

I think a very good dent removal guy might be able to get that out. Don't touch one of the franchises, unless you get a personal recomendation, they are often OK for standard dings but haven't got a lot of experience or training. If you do try to get it pulled/pushde out, don't forget that the doors are Aluminium, if someone tries to weld onto it they will get a bit of a shock if they assume it's steel!

Obviously it's going to require paint which on it's own is a big enough pain.

Any CCTV coverage where you parked?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #13
quitethesnapper
bimmerlover
Canada
Rep
Drives: the panzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
That'll be me being careless / stupid / lazy.....for daring to park next to other people. Not just people though, but utter cretins who've damaged my M6 to the point that I'm not sure if it's fixable without a new door.

Seems someone has opened their door on mine, but to have created the depth of dent and total removal of paint on what is the stringiest part of the door, I can only assume they slammed their door into mine. Purposefully? I wonder.

It's right on the swage line, where the metal feels really solid and I'm not sure this will push out back to a nice straight line. Regardless, even if it does push back out, the door will definitely need repainting.

So, what do you reckon chaps....is this kind of dent repairable (without the use of filler) or is it going to need a new door?
I feel so bad for you. I know your pain. I feel like crying. I would fuckin murder the bastard if I witnessed it happening. A good dent guy will work wonders. Here in Toronto I have used paintless dent repair several times on the Panzer and the dents always came out. Even had one on the crease like you. The touch up paint will be tricky. Repainting the door should be your last resort. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

If your car is leased, you should ask your dealer to fix it. dealers usually send car to a BMW Certified shop. at the end of the lease they cannot claim anything since it's repaired by them. otherwise, they are gonna charge you and that charge is alot for a 100k+ car
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #15
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitethesnapper
Quote:

I feel so bad for you. I know your pain. I feel like crying. I would fuckin murder the bastard if I witnessed it happening. A good dent guy will work wonders. Here in Toronto I have used paintless dent repair several times on the Panzer and the dents always came out. Even had one on the crease like you. The touch up paint will be tricky. Repainting the door should be your last resort. Good luck.
I don't think touch up paint will do the trick here. It would be too obvious. Touch up paint, even when applied professionally will never match the rest of the paint 100% in texture or even color. He will need to repaint the door or if he does touch it up, ignore the inconsistency in the paint in that area for as long as he has the car.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #16
miringrains
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11.5 M3 E93

I hate this. I remember one time I saw this guy let go of his shopping cart, and I watched it roll right into the side of my car. Out of pure rage, I took the shopping cart and launched it into his car as hard as I could. Considering no damage was done to my car, it may have been over kill but I think he will be more careful with shopping carts in the future.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #17
Entrez
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 & 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Hate to say it, but just got my 2015 M6 GC hit while parked yesterday. Whoever did it drove off. I had picked it up literally 10 days ago from the dealer. Bumper, tail light, and exhaust are all affected. It's moonstone, so I'm not sure that they can get an accurate color match. Dealer is telling me that BMW doesn't sell pre-painted bumpers and even if they did, it would likely not be an exact match anyways.

Any suggestions would be appreciate. It's beyond frustrating. To add insult to injury, my wife's 2014 X5 (2 months old) got keyed this weekend.

Not a good week for us
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #18
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrez View Post
Hate to say it, but just got my 2015 M6 GC hit while parked yesterday. Whoever did it drove off. I had picked it up literally 10 days ago from the dealer. Bumper, tail light, and exhaust are all affected. It's moonstone, so I'm not sure that they can get an accurate color match. Dealer is telling me that BMW doesn't sell pre-painted bumpers and even if they did, it would likely not be an exact match anyways.

Any suggestions would be appreciate. It's beyond frustrating. To add insult to injury, my wife's 2014 X5 (2 months old) got keyed this weekend.

Not a good week for us
Sounds like a real bit of shite luck, sorry to here this it must be infuriating.
      05-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #19
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrez

Not a good week for us
Matching metallic paint is a nightmare. It will always be a nightmare. Not much that can be done, just take it to a great shop and hope they do a good job.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #20
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Thanks for the sympathy guys But the reality is it was my own stupid fault for parking next to someone else.

Not checked any CCTV Richard, but given we were on holiday before this and it was perfect beforehand, by the time I'd noticed the damage it could've only been caused in one of two places....

1. Whilst it was parked at Marriott Heathrow when we went away. However, I doubt this as I chose to park the car where that side of it was next to a one foot-wide gap - any other car probably wouldn't have got close enough to that side. I also had a very quick glance over it when I got back and didn't notice anything, although saying this I only noticed it after I washed it!

2. In Tesco car park the next day (the day I noticed it), where I just parked between a load of other cars in a tight space. More likely here, and I'm kicking myself as I'd normally park where theres more space, but was feeling lazy on this occasion Should've gone to Sainsbury's

Anyway, I've just had a quote from my local BMW dealer - it's going to cost 800 of my English pounds to get this sorted which includes stripping the door of it's weather strip and handle, pushing the dent out as much as possible, using a tiny amount of filler to smooth it (they have assured me it would be a very small amount and the use of filler is unavoidable to get it perfect without replacing the door), painting around 50% (!!!!) of that side of the car and a new weather strip for the window (as they apparently always break when removed).

At £800 it's more than I'd have liked to pay, but less than I thought that amount of work would've cost at a BMW dealer. It's booked in for two weeks time.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the sympathy guys But the reality is it was my own stupid fault for parking next to someone else.

Not checked any CCTV Richard, but given we were on holiday before this and it was perfect beforehand, by the time I'd noticed the damage it could've only been caused in one of two places....

1. Whilst it was parked at Marriott Heathrow when we went away. However, I doubt this as I chose to park the car where that side of it was next to a one foot-wide gap - any other car probably wouldn't have got close enough to that side. I also had a very quick glance over it when I got back and didn't notice anything, although saying this I only noticed it after I washed it!

2. In Tesco car park the next day (the day I noticed it), where I just parked between a load of other cars in a tight space. More likely here, and I'm kicking myself as I'd normally park where theres more space, but was feeling lazy on this occasion Should've gone to Sainsbury's

Anyway, I've just had a quote from my local BMW dealer - it's going to cost 800 of my English pounds to get this sorted which includes stripping the door of it's weather strip and handle, pushing the dent out as much as possible, using a tiny amount of filler to smooth it (they have assured me it would be a very small amount and the use of filler is unavoidable to get it perfect without replacing the door), painting around 50% (!!!!) of that side of the car and a new weather strip for the window (as they apparently always break when removed).

At £800 it's more than I'd have liked to pay, but less than I thought that amount of work would've cost at a BMW dealer. It's booked in for two weeks time.
well you "sucked it up Andrew" still leaves a very bad tast though.
      05-31-2014, 02:09 PM   #22
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
Well, I managed to pick up a ding today, not caused by parking though.

Something quite large was thrown up in front of me on the motorway and hit the near side A pillar making one hell of a bang. It's left at least three separate small dings about half way up the pillar, the paint is not damaged due to the protection film but the dings just catch the light as you look at it.

I'm guessing that dings on the A pillar will be impossible for a paintless dent removal guy to access, unless anyone knows different. I really don't want to have the entire strip over the roof and rear wing painted, plus bending, so I guess it will just have to stay the way it is.
Appreciate 0