BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

After moving on from my 17 f32 m4, I finally pulled the trigger on what seemed to be an eternal search for my perfect m6:

14 f12 m6
Sakhir orange
Black full merino
Zcp
Executive
Driver assist
Ccb
Carbon trim
20" 343m wheels
21k miles
Factory warranty until end of 2018
$53k + tax

Having just taken delivery in Miami and driving up to NYC (1,300 miles non-stop) I was first surprised of how quickly I adjusted to the size difference, I was expecting a much bigger car like when I drive in a 7 but the size and weight is well hidden and balanced.

Playing with the settings I must say sport plus in both suspension and steering is useless. The wheel weight is so heavy and the suspension is just too stiff for our roads. So for the m6 I went with:

M1: sport power, comfort suspension, sport steering, d2 transmission, mdm.

M2: sport power, sport suspension, sport steering, s3 transmission, mdm.

I do miss the nbt evo from my m4 but the nbt is still familiar from my e92 m3 days. Installed latest connected drive software from BMW site and updated to nav maps 2018-2 for $50 via forum.

So far I'm really impressed with the power. totally different from the m4 and very happy to have a v8 under the hood once again... although this one does not rev to 8,400 rpm haha.

Last edited by hl0m4n; 05-22-2018 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
castlesteve
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe, 2017 X5M

now the question is a tune. I've been playing with what to do here
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
Jesse E93
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E93

Congrats! Have a set of VRSF downpipes if you’re interested.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

nice! It's amazing how fast the pricing for these cars have dropped. Post up some pics!

I agree the sport + settings for steering, throttle and suspension is overkill. BMW puts these in to allow you to drive the car as you "think" a M car should be, but we all know, the best about the M cars is how streetable and fast it is, so everyone dials it back to a more comfortable setting.

My daily driving is on D3 (and S3), sport suspension, sport steering, and to me, the sport steering is still a bit too heavy. I'd prefer the sport steering from my E9X servotronic setting.

I can't even tell you what my M2 settings are...it's just a bit more aggressive, so much so, it's almost not driveable on the street.

Also, one tip that I give everyone. In the D transmission settings, you should drive in D3. All other settings IMO, slips the clutch too much and also allows for driving at RPMs below 2k, which I feel like puts a lot of strain on the transmission.

Remember this is still mechanically a manual transmission. Would you drive a manual car that revs up to 7000 rpms in anything below 2k engine speed in gears 3-7? Hell no. You can hear the transmission strain.
      06-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
nice! It's amazing how fast the pricing for these cars have dropped
Yeah as they say, faster than a meteor coming to earth
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #6
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

Quote:
nice! It's amazing how fast the pricing for these cars have dropped. Post up some pics!

I agree the sport + settings for steering, throttle and suspension is overkill. BMW puts these in to allow you to drive the car as you "think" a M car should be, but we all know, the best about the M cars is how streetable and fast it is, so everyone dials it back to a more comfortable setting.

My daily driving is on D3 (and S3), sport suspension, sport steering, and to me, the sport steering is still a bit too heavy. I'd prefer the sport steering from my E9X servotronic setting.

I can't even tell you what my M2 settings are...it's just a bit more aggressive, so much so, it's almost not driveable on the street.

Also, one tip that I give everyone. In the D transmission settings, you should drive in D3. All other settings IMO, slips the clutch too much and also allows for driving at RPMs below 2k, which I feel like puts a lot of strain on the transmission.

Remember this is still mechanically a manual transmission. Would you drive a manual car that revs up to 7000 rpms in anything below 2k engine speed in gears 3-7? Hell no. You can hear the transmission strain.
Well, then that would make comfort mode obsolete because it keeps the RPM as low as possible for better MPG. I'm not going to daily in my AMG in sport mode or at super high revs. Just makes no sense.
Care to elaborate more? I might be lost on your explanation..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
Well, then that would make comfort mode obsolete because it keeps the RPM as low as possible for better MPG. I'm not going to daily in my AMG in sport mode or at super high revs. Just makes no sense.
Care to elaborate more? I might be lost on your explanation..
The problem is, the transmission is not mechanically built as an automatic with a torque converter.

It's a manual transmission. If you've owned a manual, you'll know that at certain gears (usually gear 3 and above), and at certain RPMs, (usually 2k and below), you're putting significant strain on the transmission. You can hear it and feel it in the gas pedal when you depress the pedal at those speeds in those gears. It's called lugging the engine. You can google the concept, but it's akin to you riding a bike and starting it uphill in 1st gear. How much strain is going through your legs? Well in a manual transmission, that strain is the transmission parts connecting to your motor.

Driving in D1 and D2, you'll see in slow speed operations, the transmission is barely above 1000 rpms....cringe.

It's okay if you're driving S1 or S2, assuming you know where to downshift.

Also, D3/S3 doesn't substantially reduce "comfort". I wouldn't qualify it as jerky.
      06-08-2018, 02:03 AM   #8
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

Quote:
The problem is, the transmission is not mechanically built as an automatic with a torque converter.

It's a manual transmission. If you've owned a manual, you'll know that at certain gears (usually gear 3 and above), and at certain RPMs, (usually 2k and below), you're putting significant strain on the transmission. You can hear it and feel it in the gas pedal when you depress the pedal at those speeds in those gears. It's called lugging the engine. You can google the concept, but it's akin to you riding a bike and starting it uphill in 1st gear. How much strain is going through your legs? Well in a manual transmission, that strain is the transmission parts connecting to your motor.

Driving in D1 and D2, you'll see in slow speed operations, the transmission is barely above 1000 rpms....cringe.

It's okay if you're driving S1 or S2, assuming you know where to downshift.

Also, D3/S3 doesn't substantially reduce "comfort". I wouldn't qualify it as jerky.
Alright alright. I appreciate the explanation man haha
I'm young and new to the world of cars, so any new knowledge is appreciated. I assume the same principles apply to the Mercedes MCT, as well.

So would you just not recommend driving with the transmission in comfort mode because of the extra strain it causes? Would these performance cars be suited to more aggressive driving than, say, a normal 528i would be? (Simultaneously, they would be less-suited to smooth, daily-driving than the 528i)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
Alright alright. I appreciate the explanation man haha
I'm young and new to the world of cars, so any new knowledge is appreciated. I assume the same principles apply to the Mercedes MCT, as well.

So would you just not recommend driving with the transmission in comfort mode because of the extra strain it causes? Would these performance cars be suited to more aggressive driving than, say, a normal 528i would be? (Simultaneously, they would be less-suited to smooth, daily-driving than the 528i)

I'm just saying don't drive in gears 3-7 at RPMs below 2k.

And yes, the transmission and motor is designed to be driven more aggressively. This was the case with my M3 6MT. It hated anything below 2k rpm or anything in 2nd gear below 3k.

Driving a 6MT gives you instant feedback on what the mechanicals are doing in the car at any gearing and engine speed. When you have a DCT, it goes away, but if you have a keen hearing, you'll still hear the same thing.

The MCT is a completely different design from torque converters or DCTs.

Read it here...https://www.autoevolution.com/news/m...ms-112461.html

Looks like they try to mimic an auto in low gear low speeds without a converter. The concept is great. Not sure about drivetrain strain in these situations as they purposely designed the unit with smooth low speed operations in mind.
      06-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #10
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

Congrats. I am thinking of doing the reverse, going to a 2016-17 M4 with comp pack as my 13 M6 gets too old.

I drive sport plus suspension, sport plus power, sport steering s3 and mdm unless its raining. I have no issues (Florida roads are decent, far less pot holes). I did notice going from 19s to 20s a bit more bounce, but the feeling passed.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0