BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #1
ppendyck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550

European delivery

Anyone done a European delivery for a M6?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 08:51 PM   #2
ManhattanBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppendyck View Post
Yes, in 2012, and it is a fantastic experience, plus it saves money off the price of the car. I picked up my car from the Welt, and drove to the Ring, however, I rented a car for the Ring since I was still breaking in my M6.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #3
tab
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Gran Coupe MT

Garage List
2016 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppendyck View Post
Yep, I picked up my 2016 M6 Gran Coupe (manual transmission) at the BMW Welt in Munich in August of 2015. It was great fun. There is a real discount applied, and the logistics are very easy. Leave plenty of room for breakfast on pickup day, as they have a gigantic German breakfast buffet at the lounge. Just walk in on time, sign lots of insurance and registration stuff, and they present your car on a turntable, show you which pedal makes it go fast etc., and you drive it off the showroom floor.

The adjoining factory is closed for lots of August, so we didn't get a factory tour. (The M6 isn't made in Munich, anyway, it's made like 50 miles away.) But the BMW Welt museum is cool. Do that the day before or something. I took my wife and son, and we did a great driving tour of Bavaria, Salzburg, Nurnberg, Leipzig, Berlin, Hamburg. (I know Germany well, so I had some specific destinations in mind for my wife and son.) I put about 1,200 miles on it in about 12 days. I arranged dropoff at their freight agent near the Hamburg port, which is where all BMWs get loaded on the transport ship. You can drop it off in just about any big city in Europe. It took about 8 weeks from dropoff in Hamburg to pickup at my dealer in Chicago, because ED vehicles are in a slower channel to Chicago than new ones. Pa might be faster.

True, you're breaking it in for the first 1200 miles or so, so no full-speed Autobahn run, and no Ring. But it is awesome. Putting more than 1200 miles on it, scheduling the first maintenance over there (oil change, plus I think they change some breakin settings), and then having the ability to drive it with no restrictions would be a goal, but you need the time available. I don't know how you can be sure your breakin period went well, but mine doesn't burn much oil at all, like it doesn't really need supplemental oil between changes. Some people burn a lot of oil in these things, but mine doesn't.

Driving in Germany is fundamentally easy, as there are lots of signs and people obey them more than in the US. The Bahn can be stressful in the unlimited zones -- in a very good way -- you just need to stay right unless you're playing with the big boys.

Do it!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Cpark352
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 gran coupe

How much of a discount is it when you do ED?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
I did mine in Sept 2014. Great experience, but skip the stupid factory tour with the noobs. Wasted 4 hours due to the countless questions from asswipes who didn't care for time and I could have been driving my car. Once you're in the tour, you can't get out.

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1046559
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #6
tab
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpark352 View Post
How much of a discount is it when you do ED?
The final price is, like every other price, negotiable; but I think it officially takes like 8% off the base or something, at least at this level of price.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
You get 14% off MSRP before taxes, worth the savings for the Euro trip.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #8
ManhattanBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
You get 14% off MSRP before taxes, worth the savings for the Euro trip.
I believe it is now 5%, and the discount is on the non-optioned MSRP price of the car, so you should for sure to negotiate the price of the options. You can also do a Dinglefing factory tour instead of Munich, and alternatively, you do not have to even drive the car to get a discount, just drop it off at the Munich airport after taking Welt delivery. Highly recommend doing it, and when you drop off the car ask to keep your plates, and take the first aid kit and reflective triangle with you -- both are mandated in the EU, but not in the US.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 04:26 AM   #9
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Your lucky as US customers, i was told the pick up experience was not available to UK customers when ordering my m6, you also recall that a few years ago BMW M offered an M driving experience day prior to pick up, which i think was also FOC
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #10
tab
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBMW View Post
I believe it is now 5%, and the discount is on the non-optioned MSRP price of the car, so you should for sure to negotiate the price of the options. You can also do a Dinglefing factory tour instead of Munich, and alternatively, you do not have to even drive the car to get a discount, just drop it off at the Munich airport after taking Welt delivery. Highly recommend doing it, and when you drop off the car ask to keep your plates, and take the first aid kit and reflective triangle with you -- both are mandated in the EU, but not in the US.
Yes, the temporary license plates are just stuck onto the bumper with tape, so you can be sure to ask for them when you're done. One plate might need to stay with the car, but I forget. You'll get both back eventually. If you'll be there in winter, you can also rent snow tires, but hopefully you'll do it outside that zone.

All the taxes and insurance for temporary driving over there are included. I think there are some no-go zones, but most anywhere you would drive from Munich Europe is included. So your driving vacation can be basically all Italy if you want. You can drop off in lots of neighboring countries throughout Western Europe if you want to. I recall from some locations, like Italy, have a fee for them to drive it back to Germany when you're done.

Thinking back, I got a notification of supplemental tax assessment in the mail from the Bavarian government a month after I got back. It all looked very official and menacing, but my German is good enough to show me it was telling me they would draw the tax from a specified account in Germany, which must have been a BMW account. I sent it to BMW to make sure they were all good, and they confirmed it was fine.

People around there know a new M6 when they see it. Gas is so expensive that they are really very rare. Order a manual (not available to European buyers) and it will be like a unicorn! I met up with an M6 enthusiast in Salzburg (he and his wife each own one, he buys a crazy number of M cars), who hadn't seen a 2016 yet, and had never seen a manual M6.
Appreciate 0