BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
Zmantoo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1978 AMC Pacer Xanadu Green

Turning Off Collision Braking

Does anyone know how to turn off Collision Braking? Not Collision warning but collision braking. Three times in the past month (has happened more than 3 times total) my brakes have slammed because the car believes we are going to collide with another car in front of us. Two out of the three times the car in front of us was more than 30+ feet away and we were traveling >30mph. The last time I was driving down my driveway less than 15 MPH, with nothing in front of me.

Out of the 3 times, I only received a warning (beeping) once and then the brakes kicked in. On my Jeep SRT I can turn the warning off and the collision braking off. I can't seem to find the off option for the warning or the brakes for my F06 M6. I can only control the distance for the warning.

Any ideas? Thank you for the help.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Never had the collision brake kick in, but warning many times. I set mine to lowest sensitivity.
I think there is a button on the left side to turn it off, next to the lane departure, blindspot detector, HUD etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 10:28 PM   #3
HoustonRider
big pimpin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC and 2015 4 GC

It's not even supposed to work under 40 mph I think, and it's just on or off.

I have noticed that ocassionally the system will give no beeps and brake hard, like real hard..and sometimes when I think it's going to brake hard (or at all because it has done so before) it doesn't at all.

It's kind of random.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 01:29 AM   #4
JimM6GC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC; '16 B6

I don't have ACC stop and go in the M6GC (although our upcoming B6 purchase will have it), but, based on our experience with the night vision system, I'm beginning to think that BMW's whiz-bang environment sensing systems aren't ready for prime time. We get a lot of false alarms for allegedly detected pedestrians, and we always see deer before the system does. Even then, the system only detects deer right in front of us or on the shoulder on our side of the road. The system doesn't detect deer on the other side of the road, and once it failed to detect a cow standing in our lane (we live in a rural area).

Brought this up to the service department of the nearest BMW dealer, and they said that there is no evidence that the system is malfunctioning. The service writer tried to tell me that the heat of insects flying into the front camera lens may be causing the problem. Since insects are cold blooded, I'm not buying it. It would be particularly disconcerting if insects flying into the camera lens also could cause the car to slam on the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM6GC View Post
I don't have ACC stop and go in the M6GC (although our upcoming B6 purchase will have it), but, based on our experience with the night vision system, I'm beginning to think that BMW's whiz-bang environment sensing systems aren't ready for prime time. We get a lot of false alarms for allegedly detected pedestrians, and we always see deer before the system does. Even then, the system only detects deer right in front of us or on the shoulder on our side of the road. The system doesn't detect deer on the other side of the road, and once it failed to detect a cow standing in our lane (we live in a rural area).

Brought this up to the service department of the nearest BMW dealer, and they said that there is no evidence that the system is malfunctioning. The service writer tried to tell me that the heat of insects flying into the front camera lens may be causing the problem. Since insects are cold blooded, I'm not buying it. It would be particularly disconcerting if insects flying into the camera lens also could cause the car to slam on the brakes.
It's not just BMW I had false brakes and false warnings on our Grand Cherokee as well. The tech isn't anywhere near 100%, but I did have the bmw save me before when I wasn't paying attention in stop and go traffic, so it is still nice to have.
Appreciate 0