BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
manari06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2016 X5 50i

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [9.50]
2007 335I Coupe  [10.00]
M6 GT3 will be a killer

Can't wait to see it kicking some serious ass!!!!

BMW’s Z4 GT3 race car remains as competitive as ever, having managed to win overall during this past weekend’s Spa 24 Hours and come second overall during May’s Nürburgring 24 Hours. However, it’s on its way out, set to be replaced next season by an all-new race car based on the M6 coupe. BMW first announced the M6 GT3 racer late last year, and now we have a close look at one of the prototypes.

Power comes from the twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V-8 fitted to the M6 road car and several other M-badged machines, with BMW confirming that the engine has only been slightly modified for its outings on the race track. The dry-sumped unit is paired with a six-speed sequential transmission mounted at the rear axle for better weight balance, and produces at least 500 horsepower along with “high” torque to help it exit corners quickly.

The aerodynamic body, which has been optimized in the wind tunnel, is made from composite materials to help get weight down—BMW expects the final car to tip the scales at less than 2,866 pounds. And compared to the Z4 GT3, the longer wheelbase of the M6 GT3 should ensure better handling. BMW says there have been improvements in reliability, efficiency and ease of maintenance, something crucial for endurance racing.

Safety remains paramount, however, and accordingly BMW has developed an FIA-approved safety cell in accordance with the very latest safety standards. The M6 GT3 also boasts numerous other features, the sole purpose of which is to protect the driver. These include the roof hatch specified in the regulations, through which the driver’s helmet can be removed if necessary, as well as the safety seat, which bolts firmly to the chassis.

“The BMW M6 coupe obviously provided us with a sensational base on which to develop the new car,” BMW Motorsport boss Jens Marquardt said in a statement. “That makes it twice as much fun for our engineers, working hand in hand with their colleagues at BMW M, to transform it into a car for the race track.”

Last edited by manari06; 07-29-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
Having just tracked my M6 last week, a 2,866 lb M6 would be an amazing amazing track eating machine.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Devilzmantis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 991 Turbo S

OK I just saw this on BMW youtube.... I have an M4, was thinking of jumping to a 991S but NOW THIS?!! WOW! LOOK at that flared out body, wing + THAT Air induct or whatever you call it(holes in the side rear of the car).

Wow! Are we talking about Supercar status here?!
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
TXAlex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Hope they make a steal version and I'll be all over it. They contacted me to see if I want to place my order for the track model at 300k it just not in the cards right now.
Appreciate 0