BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-21-2017, 03:00 AM   #1
650i2014
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i

Exclamation F13 Headlight Adjustment?

Hi guys,

Can I manually adjust the height of the Adaptive LED headlights on the 6 series? Or is it done through software? I'd like to lower it as it's blinding oncoming traffic, dealer is saying the height is as per standard!

cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650i2014 View Post
Hi guys,

Can I manually adjust the height of the Adaptive LED headlights on the 6 series? Or is it done through software? I'd like to lower it as it's blinding oncoming traffic, dealer is saying the height is as per standard!

cheers!
There's no manual adjustment - have you activated the high beam assist (lower button on the indicator stalk)?

I do quite a bit of night driving on unlit country roads and I've never been flashed.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

There is a manual adjuster on each headlight below the covers to change the alignment....but in honesty some of it could be down to the design which are reflector designs like old halogens and even on dipped can be bright and blind over potholes etc prior to adjusting it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
650i2014
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
.....have you activated the high beam assist (lower button on the indicator stalk)?.....
The issue I'm facing is with low beam, it should be pointing lower as I can clearly see the light hitting the rear view mirror of the car in front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post
There is a manual adjuster on each headlight below the covers to change the alignment....
Have you seen it on the 6 series? If so I'd be very grateful if you could guide me on where exactly it's located; I looked and couldn't identify it
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
The issue I'm facing is with low beam, it should be pointing lower as I can clearly see the light hitting the rear view mirror of the car in front.
In that case there's definitely a problem and you should go back to the dealer. With high beam assist selected on my car I get no unlit space immediately in front and when I approach another car from behind the LH light illuminates the verge and, if there's no oncoming traffic, the RH beam moves up and to the right plus it leaves the rear window of the car in front almost blacked out.
However, effective as it is, I woudn't get LEDs again until they improve them to match the light output of the bi-xenons I had on my previous F12.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #6
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Quote:
In that case there's definitely a problem and you should go back to the dealer. With high beam assist selected on my car I get no unlit space immediately in front and when I approach another car from behind the LH light illuminates the verge and, if there's no oncoming traffic, the RH beam moves up and to the right plus it leaves the rear window of the car in front almost blacked out.
However, effective as it is, I woudn't get LEDs again until they improve them to match the light output of the bi-xenons I had on my previous F12.
Eh? The LED intensity and output is miles ahead of the xenon?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
650i2014
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post
There is a manual adjuster on each headlight below the covers to change the alignment....
Found it!! I adjusted the headlight and it's now perfect. Thanks dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
..The LED intensity and output is miles ahead of the xenon?
I agree.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
Eh? The LED intensity and output is miles ahead of the xenon?
On unlit country roads I was initially impressed but the effectiveness in rainy motorway traffic doesn't match the adaptive bi-xenons I had on my previous 640i.
It's a matter of personal evaluation and opinion...
Appreciate 0