BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
LongLostGoat
Registered
Rep
Drives: FormerQSMSAPGTO

Newbie with general 640/640GC questions

Hey forum. I am new to the site and have been checking it out using the search button. For a couple of months I've just been browsing around as a guest not registering but now I'm here!

I just sent off my beloved SAP GTO and I'm searching for my next car. The 6-series has caught my eye for a while and I think I'm going to go down that path. Most likely a 640i with m package or a 640iGC m package

So if you could please answer these questions.

What should I look for when I check out a potential 640i I might buy?

Any common problems?

Any extra options that were available on the 640I that I should get that's a must?

How much is everyone paying for their extended warranty?

Also what is a average price for a 2013 640i? Give the price with the type of 640, millage, and condition.
I would also want it to be automatic if it makes a difference in the price.

This carbon fiber bumper I have posted, where do you get it?
All I have been able to find is the middle insert carbon fiber.

Then add anything else you would like. Thanks

Last edited by LongLostGoat; 01-16-2017 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #2
LongLostGoat
Registered
Rep
Drives: FormerQSMSAPGTO

From searching I hade found this

Extended warranty

PLATINUM COVERAGE WITH $50.00 PER VISIT DEDUCTIBLE

6/100k $5990.00 plus tax
7/100k $7430.00 plus tax

6/70k $5352.00 plus tax
7/70k $6120.00 plus tax.

(Prices with haggle room)

Or

6/70k platinum for $4927.

Common Problems
Mine has been in for the drip rail to be replaced and found one cut in the one tyre (tyre seem a familiar problem for the ones running 20's).

1. Front seat rails wear on some cars after about 30k miles causing a knocking noise in the seats as you corner. Mine were replaced under warranty
2. Front seat belts are very tight across my shoulder. I use one of those belt stops to take the strain to keep it comfortable. Not exactly elegant but it does teh job
3. Some have reported rattling seat belt inertia reels under the seat
4. It's easily the most difficult car to park that I have ever owned or driven. Parallel parking is especially hazardous because all round visibility is particularly poor. I have a reverse camera which helps a little but not surround view, sadly +1
5. Soft close doors are lovely, but why not the boot lid too? Boot lid remains an old-fashioned hard slam.
6. Run flat tyres. Ugh. Now fixed with Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Know what you mean about the tyres, my 2011 1 year old AUC came with 20" wheels, I hated the crashy ride and lacklustre steering. That and the kerbing issue was sorted by switching to 18" non-RFTs
7. Impossible to avoid regularly scuffing the alloys, especially front kerbside
8. CIC iDrive is slow to respond to commands. The newer NBT system seems much more responsive
9. CIC iDrive does not properly integrate with iPhones for email. Only for SMS
10. Voice commands rarely works properly. In phonebook when I speak a name to dial, it invariably suggests the wrong one.

But all this is forgiven because
1. It just looks so good from any angle
2. Even after nearly 2 years of owning it, it still always makes me smile when I give it a bit of hardfootdown.

diagnosed my flickering iDrive screen. It only flickers on mine if i stick my iPhone in the cupholder

13. for me is the reversing light, or should I say the lack thereof - reckon I'd get a better view if I stuck a candle on the back bumper!

However, all negated as per your last two points. I've been looking to change for the past 18 months and couldn't find anything better.

Some 640's get the early oil light when driven hard
I got a warning that the oil is at the minimum level and to add 1 quart as soon as possible.

Last edited by LongLostGoat; 01-15-2017 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 10:51 PM   #3
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Just picked up a '14 640 last month. The '13s will have the silver window trim. Not sure if that's important to you but you can always get it vinyl wrapped. The '13 did not come std with soft close doors and later '14s came with the newer style steering wheels and digital gauges, neither of which I have. I bought one fully optioned but honestly, after owning for a month, I can tell you the only things I feel are usable are blind spot detection, napa seats, heated/cool seats, HUD. Everything else is unnecessary. I have the CF diffuser. Bought from AliExpress from china for $340 shipped. Install was simple. Just put on M6 mufflers today. I'm still in the honeymoon stage so the car brings a smile to my face every time I see it. It's also a head turner on the road.

*Updated pic of my diffuser. It's a bit more aggressive than the one in your pic.
Attached Images

Last edited by ndinh; 01-16-2017 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 11:09 PM   #4
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

6er has a very nice and comfortable seat. Maybe I can claim it's the most comfortable seat over the entire current BMW lineup, but I highly believe there is design issue with this seat and I had the same issues with all 3 6er I had. The issues you mentioned above!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0