BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

M6 GC for the Day

: it just felt under powered compared to my LCI M5, even the wife did not flinch when I red lined it in three gears.
It felt easier to point and the steering felt slightly lighter in comfort, but as for real grunt NO. My M5 would have ripped the rears to smoke doing that, could it be a "Duffer"?.
It felt 50/60BHP down on mine. 7th felt a little longer also.
It had 4K miles on it and I was told it had been driven hard, but if the M6 are all soft like this I don't want one, anyone?.
      10-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

I've not driven the GC so can't really answer you, all the reviews I've read seem to point that the M6GC is a bit more (faster) than the M5, or at least equal. Haven't really looked for or seen any head to heads.

As for the M6 coupe, best example is this, head to head on the same day/track.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
parm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M50d

I've had a courtesy car F10 M5 while my M6 GC was in the garage. My m6 feels sharper and more responsive on acceleration and is brutal through the gears. The M5 felt slightly detained so in fact the opposite of your experience. Perhaps the M6 was not in the right modes ? However appreciate you'd know your way around the car to have sorted this out. Maybe a duff car ?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
jcbh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm View Post
I've had a courtesy car F10 M5 while my M6 GC was in the garage. My m6 feels sharper and more responsive on acceleration and is brutal through the gears. The M5 felt slightly detained so in fact the opposite of your experience. Perhaps the M6 was not in the right modes ? However appreciate you'd know your way around the car to have sorted this out. Maybe a duff car ?
I had the same experience...from all of the M5's I had driven before I chose the M6 GC, I felt the same way...the M5 was not as sharp, didn't handle the same, as the M6 just feels more planted....? Not sure why....but it just did. I bet you this year it is in Robb Report's car of the year shootout! I think BMW is most proud of this car currently, in their lineup of available cars. Just my guess....
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm View Post
I hope you were right, my M5 felt much more urgent and "Tyre shredding", this GC must have a week engine.
I really want the M6 sometime in the future, I will test some other cars.
      11-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
RiverRunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
: it just felt under powered compared to my LCI M5, even the wife did not flinch when I red lined it in three gears.
It had 4K miles on it and I was told it had been driven hard, but if the M6 are all soft like this I don't want one, anyone?.
I felt the same way the first time I drove mine, then I discovered the M settings, it wakes the car up. Make sure that the engine profile is set to "Sport Plus". I like the sport settings for steering and the 2Bars setting for the transmission.

Traction may be another issue...I too thought that the car seemed sometimes docile in 1st-3rd gears, then would increase acceleration in 4th gears plus...I found that the traction control was engaging and can be verified by the flashing yellow icon on the instrument cluster. When driving on stickier surfaces or turning off all the electronic driving control/assistance, turns that "docile" feeling to a car that requires skill to control. Spend some more time with the car, if you can, you may find that it's more to your liking than your first experience.
2019 Porsche 911 Turbo 991.2
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFan View Post
I felt the same way the first time I drove mine, then I discovered the M settings, it wakes the car up. Make sure that the engine profile is set to "Sport Plus". I like the sport settings for steering and the 2Bars setting for the transmission.

Traction may be another issue...I too thought that the car seemed sometimes docile in 1st-3rd gears, then would increase acceleration in 4th gears plus...I found that the traction control was engaging and can be verified by the flashing yellow icon on the instrument cluster. When driving on stickier surfaces or turning off all the electronic driving control/assistance, turns that "docile" feeling to a car that requires skill to control. Spend some more time with the car, if you can, you may find that it's more to your liking than your first experience.
I am afraid everything was in sport+ and no way was this as quick as my LCI M5 in any gear.
If thats what they feel like, it's not for me.
PS) NO traction lights.
      11-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFan View Post

I am afraid everything was in sport+ and no way was this as quick as my LCI M5 in any gear.
If thats what they feel like, it's not for me.
PS) NO traction lights.
Well I can assure you an M6 coupe won't disappoint . Mine is a competition package and besides an intake is bone stock , and churned out a 8.25 60-130mph not even using 2nd gear on my first attempt . That's significantly faster than any similar M5 time . A M6 GC given its weight should be = in acc to an M5 , but it does have a softer suspension setup so it will def feel softer . If you want an M6 I'd go with the coupe , if you need 4 doors stick with the M5 it's a much better value vs the GC. IMHO
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Well I can assure you an M6 coupe won't disappoint . Mine is a competition package and besides an intake is bone stock , and churned out a 8.25 60-130mph not even using 2nd gear on my first attempt . That's significantly faster than any similar M5 time . A M6 GC given its weight should be = in acc to an M5 , but it does have a softer suspension setup so it will def feel softer . If you want an M6 I'd go with the coupe , if you need 4 doors stick with the M5 it's a much better value vs the GC. IMHO
I am thinking on the lines of M6 coupe, need to test some first.