BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
dentaltech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 coupe

Wheels

Looking for a new set, having a hard time deciding,

HRE's
BRIXTON
VOSSEN

BLACK M6 looking to stick with 20's

Share what you think looks hot.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 12:59 AM   #2
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Need to see pics of the wheels you are considering. If $ is not a thing, then personally, I'd go with HRE's!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
2007 to 2016 M6 Cab
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentaltech View Post
Looking for a new set, having a hard time deciding,

HRE's
BRIXTON
VOSSEN

BLACK M6 looking to stick with 20's

Share what you think looks hot.

All are good! The design you want and colors are key.

I have done HREx 1, DPE x2 (Manu Gill was at DPE then) before, have vossen x 2 now and a set of custom Aristo Collection that Manu Gill who branched out on his own and created Aristo Collection did for me 2 years ago.

The key is getting what you like for the style and colors and then proper fitment.

One thing to be cognesent about is one piece forged or cast are easier to clean and less maintenance to do. It will not unbalance when driving in heavy rains. Two or three piece although nice to look at are more difficult to clean and always have a trapped area of water when cleaning and get a dirt build up as you can't easily scrub there. Then there is the issue of regular lip and hump on a three piece where the hump is towards the inside of the barrel, vs reverse hump where the hump is at the face of the rim where the face bolts to the barrel (the face being the part that bolts to the hubs ... the hump is under where the face meets the barrel). This type of set up where the hump is under and bolted to the face is ideal as it channels water towards he inside of the barrel when driving in the rain and like a one piece will not unbalance the rim. The case where the hump is towards the inside of the barrel (the side facing into the car) this can become a water trap and not allowing enough water to drain from the rim when driving in the rain at higher speeds and unbalance the rim (this occurred on one set of DPEs I had and they sent me little rubber fins to have attached to the barrel btn the face and the hump to try and push out the water towards the car side of he barrel ... still not very effective as in heavy rains I had the same issue ... and then a $5000 warranty bill for the front suspension on a 2011 S63 AMG. The M6 I had at that time with the same style DPEs was never driven in the rain so Not sure if it was a one off for the DPEs on the S63 or a general design flaw) ... one reason Manu Gill moved me away from that style of barrel on my last M6 and the reason I am running one piece Vossens on my current S63 and GLS 63 which I do drive in the rains)

Hope this helps with a few more things to consider.

As for design, many have similar styles and construction methods. Comes down to your needs (rain or no rain driving), cost and quality ... and drivability
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
dentaltech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 to 2016 M6 Cab View Post
All are good! The design you want and colors are key.

I have done HREx 1, DPE x2 (Manu Gill was at DPE then) before, have vossen x 2 now and a set of custom Aristo Collection that Manu Gill who branched out on his own and created Aristo Collection did for me 2 years ago.

The key is getting what you like for the style and colors and then proper fitment.

One thing to be cognesent about is one piece forged or cast are easier to clean and less maintenance to do. It will not unbalance when driving in heavy rains. Two or three piece although nice to look at are more difficult to clean and always have a trapped area of water when cleaning and get a dirt build up as you can't easily scrub there. Then there is the issue of regular lip and hump on a three piece where the hump is towards the inside of the barrel, vs reverse hump where the hump is at the face of the rim where the face bolts to the barrel (the face being the part that bolts to the hubs ... the hump is under where the face meets the barrel). This type of set up where the hump is under and bolted to the face is ideal as it channels water towards he inside of the barrel when driving in the rain and like a one piece will not unbalance the rim. The case where the hump is towards the inside of the barrel (the side facing into the car) this can become a water trap and not allowing enough water to drain from the rim when driving in the rain at higher speeds and unbalance the rim (this occurred on one set of DPEs I had and they sent me little rubber fins to have attached to the barrel btn the face and the hump to try and push out the water towards the car side of he barrel ... still not very effective as in heavy rains I had the same issue ... and then a $5000 warranty bill for the front suspension on a 2011 S63 AMG. The M6 I had at that time with the same style DPEs was never driven in the rain so Not sure if it was a one off for the DPEs on the S63 or a general design flaw) ... one reason Manu Gill moved me away from that style of barrel on my last M6 and the reason I am running one piece Vossens on my current S63 and GLS 63 which I do drive in the rains)

Hope this helps with a few more things to consider.

As for design, many have similar styles and construction methods. Comes down to your needs (rain or no rain driving), cost and quality ... and drivability

Ton of info here that I had no clue about. I always thought the 3 piece wheels were a better option but now I am really considering a one piece.

I really was considering a dark wheel but after seeing some it just blends into the car and don't really showcase anything.

So many finishes so many styles the 101's are so classic but pretty common. I like some of brixtons designs.

Just so hard to make up my mind on this that I was looking for an easy way out and hope some would post some of their favorite photos.

Thankyou both for taking the time to share.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 12:09 AM   #5
2007 to 2016 M6 Cab
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentaltech View Post
Ton of info here that I had no clue about. I always thought the 3 piece wheels were a better option but now I am really considering a one piece.

I really was considering a dark wheel but after seeing some it just blends into the car and don't really showcase anything.

So many finishes so many styles the 101's are so classic but pretty common. I like some of brixtons designs.

Just so hard to make up my mind on this that I was looking for an easy way out and hope some would post some of their favorite photos.

Thankyou both for taking the time to share.

You are welcome bro!!! Anytime!

I agree dark rims blend in

I have 2 sets of black AMG rims and they don't stand out ... I run winter rubber on those

I have done one set of DPEs with flat black face and deep
Dish chrome barrels and they were great, another set of DPEs in a tricolor grey, gun metal And polished aluminum and they looked awesome

My Arristoes are in brushed gun metal face and barrels and there is a lot of detail with the finish

The vossens are in the silver metallic finish from vossen

The lighter rims do stand out and look great

I would do a google search for rims in the size you are looking for and the car and look at pictures of the different styles and colors and see what you like ... there is a lot already out there on the net .

One last thing about three piece rims ... hit a big pothole and well now you have a serious air leak with the barrels and most shops do not want to take the rim a apart and try to re-seal them ... you may have to send back to the manufacturer I had to send a rim from one set of DPEs back and pay for shipping both ways and wait for 4 weeks to get them back ... had to run my winter rubber in the summer

:thumb down

The three piece are just not as strong ... and Manu gill at aristo collection talked me out of three piece rims for my 2017 GLS 63 AMG due to the weight of that PHATTY which I Am thankful for his honesty!

Last edited by 2007 to 2016 M6 Cab; 04-24-2017 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 11:02 PM   #6
2007 to 2016 M6 Cab
Captain
Rep

The three piece look amazing ... but have their issues and high effort to keep clean

My DPEs and ARisto and HREs were all three piece rims and only the Aristos were the reverse lip/hump

I track the M6 on the forged stock BMW rims and not the aristo'

How did you make out?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 12:48 AM   #7
6spdterror
Route Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M6 Gran Coupe

Look into Velos forged wheells. I have them on my Gran coupe and not only do they look amazing.......they can survive fucked up NYC streets with their crazy potholes!
04 Honda Pilot (everyday car)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #8
Eurohorses
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 Jahre G80 M3

ADV1 Wheels..... Game over
Appreciate 0