BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-31-2017, 02:26 PM   #23
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 40D Msport+ in Blue

oohh can't wait to see if you can get it at the very least diagnosed. Mine goes for its 1st service in 20 days

Good to turn up and tell them what the problem is.. Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #24
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

So a brief update. The car is still at the dealer. After two days the service manager says they can't reproduce the "rattle". They are also doing other maintenance tasks. Sort of what I expected. I've arranged to meet with the shop foreman tomorrow morning at 8 am with temps around 34 degrees F to take a test drive with him and hopefully I can make the car do it's "rattle". To be continued.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #25
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

So just back from the service dept. With temps in the mid 30's the noise was very subtle, I could hear it and a mile or so of driving the service foreman also could hear it. Just to refresh his memory I played the recorded sound clip thru the cars sound system from my phone. He said that they had already checked the front suspension for anything that was loose and didn't find anything abnormal. But to him the sound (and this is relying more the recording than the slight sound that he heard while driving) was indicative of worn sway bar links/bushings. So he's ordering those parts and will replace them on my next visit when they arrive in a few days. To be continued.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #26
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

any update Walt?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #27
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

So I took the car in January 31st for final warranty maintenance, check rattle, loose seat, truck only opening partially. Warranty ends 3/15 so they didn't do the oil change and brake system flush. Told me it was not close enough to due date in March.

They ordered parts for possible cause of rattle, sway bar links and the other problems. Service manager told me to schedule next appointment for early March and they will do all the repairs and maintenance. So that's all scheduled for first week in March. Will update at that time.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #28
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Walt,

You get anywhere ?

Edit, Sorry Walt did not read it correctly, wait and see come march !

Last edited by Bored of Audi; 02-14-2017 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #29
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

mines been in for its first service nothing found...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #30
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

Mine will be back in the service dept in two and half weeks. At least we will find out if the cause of the noise is the "sway bar". If I had to guess that's where I'd look first.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #31
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

hi Walt,

You motor been back in yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #32
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Every BMW I've owned has, at least over time, developed front suspension related noises - usually due to loose control arms (upper/lower) and bushings. In all of those cases, it was obvious when driving over any slightly bumpy surface - you'd usually hear a bit of rattle and there would be some play feeling coming through the wheel. I don't believe temperature ever affected it, though.

Even if it's NOT the problem, I've found that it's just good "BMW maintenance" to replace the control arms and bushings every so often, regardless. It brings back that "new car" ride in many cases. Couple it with some new shocks and tires around the 50k mark, and the car will feel like new.

My previous 550xi was the first BMW I had with variable dampers, but I only drove that car for about 19k miles before replacing it with the current 650xi GC. My R8 also has a similar technology (Audi calls it "magnetic ride"), but again I haven't put enough miles on it to ever replace shocks. Given that the Audi ones are super expensive (around $8k for all four), I wonder if the BMW VDC shocks are similarly expensive... in which case, I wouldn't arbitrarily replace them as preventative maintenance (as I described above).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #33
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

So the two major issues I had with the car when I brought it in for it's final 4 year manufacturer warranty service was the rattle in the front end in cold weather and a loose front seat.

For the loose front seat, they replaced the entire seat frame and transferred all the electric motors and seat covers/cushions from the old seat to the new frame. Not only did that solve the "looseness" but it softened the cushion on the seat bottom. I had complained previously that after about 4 to 5 hours in that seat, it felt like I was on a torture rack and bought an additional seat cushion to make it softer and it did. But now after this repair the seat is very comfortable without the extra cushion.

http://www.faulknerbmwpartssource.co...me-52107351859

For the front end rattle they replaced the sway bar end links. When I picked up the car the temps outside were ~60 degrees F so I knew the front end would not rattle. As luck would have it we've had some really cold mornings the last few days, 29 yesterday, 22 today. I was prepared to bring the car back if the "links" didn't solve the problem. But after driving the car on both mornings over a lot of different pavements it seems that the problem while not 100% solved is probably 95% fixed. All I can suspect is that even the new links have some play in them that is responsible for the 5% residual rattling. But it's so slight that most people would never hear it especially if you have the radio on or the windows open. So I'm gonna say for now that it was fixed as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-BMW-...-/191890085832
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #34
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the reply Walt.

Let us know how you get on as it is strange that after a couple of miles there must be significant expansions to solve the issue. there must be significant heat to case such expansion.

Its getting warmer in the UK 14°C yesterday so my problem will probably not recur until winter, unless we get a sudden drop which is still possible.

Mind you when I get to Jan next year the hunt for a new machine will start as I never keep them over the warranty period !

Thanks once again.

David

MY2019 X3 40D M-sport with all the toys. Also a Mini CS for the wife and me to play in at the weekends
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #35
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Thanks for the update, Walt. As I said above, it's been my experience that suspensions are usually one of those areas that are ripe for a rebuild every few years - for some reason, especially with my BMWs. The good news is that it usually pays nice dividends in "like new" ride quality returning if you go all out on it. Glad to hear that your problems have largely been solved!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #36
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

Update: Sway bar links did not solve the "rattling" problem. Today with temps around 65 degrees it was back just like before but now in relatively warm weather. It did go away after the car warmed up. So now I'm convinced it's something directly attached to the motor but no idea what.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #37
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
Update: Sway bar links did not solve the "rattling" problem. Today with temps around 65 degrees it was back just like before but now in relatively warm weather. It did go away after the car warmed up. So now I'm convinced it's something directly attached to the motor but no idea what.
try replacing your downpipes with catless ones - it may solve the problem, it may not, but either way, you wont hear the rattle anymore.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #38
nealsil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M Sport

Quote:
Just an FYI update: no noise since replacing left front strut. Jury still out as warm weather is now in the NE.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 07:26 AM   #39
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
We had a drop in the uk near freezing again from 20+°C. and guess what it came back with vengeance...

MY2019 X3 40D M-sport with all the toys. Also a Mini CS for the wife and me to play in at the weekends
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 09:07 AM   #40
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Walt,

I wonder if you ever got anywhere with this, its fast approaching winter in the UK and my 640 has started again with he knocking for at least the fist 2-3 miles !

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 09:35 AM   #41
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

David,

The temps here have also started to drop. This morning it was 50 F and the rattle is back just like before. Mine also goes away as the engine heats up so I'm just going to 'try' and ignore it and turn up the radio. Like others, it just doesn't seem like the effort to track it down is worth the trouble. If anyone else figures it out, please post your solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 05:54 AM   #42
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I agree with you ... mine goes back to the lease company next October so it will be there problems to deal with !

Quote:
David,

The temps here have also started to drop. This morning it was 50 F and the rattle is back just like before. Mine also goes away as the engine heats up so I'm just going to 'try' and ignore it and turn up the radio. Like others, it just doesn't seem like the effort to track it down is worth the trouble. If anyone else figures it out, please post your solution.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #43
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep

Update after cycling the exhaust flapper valves

I recently bought a "Carly" fault code reader. So I was playing around with it and one of the features is the ability to control the exhaust flappers at the end of the tailpipe while the reader is attached to the diagnostic port. So I cycled it back and forth, took a short ride with the flaps open just to see how it sounded.

So this morning it's 32 deg F outside and car has been sitting overnight and I take a ride to the store. Now I would expect the 'rattle' to happen. The car was quiet as a mouse, no rattle at all and the entire car seemed 'smoother' than ever before.

We that have had this rattle have been pretty sure it was coming from the front end and it sounded like it was coming from the suspension but it goes away as the car heats up. But that never made much sense because the suspension is not going to be that affected by engine heat in the short amount of time it takes for the rattle to go away. But the 'flapper' valves see engine heat pretty quickly and if they were the source of the rattle, the sound could be transmitted along the exhaust pipe to the hard connection at the engine and could sound like it's coming from there.

So right now I'm thinking that maybe 'cycling' the flappers did something that reset them and whatever that was, stopped them from rattling. I'll update as I drive the car more on cold mornings.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:19 AM   #44
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Now thats interesting .... I wonder when the flappers should operate etc ie I am no mechanic and just thin king about purpose !

Quote:
I recently bought a "Carly" fault code reader. So I was playing around with it and one of the features is the ability to control the exhaust flappers at the end of the tailpipe while the reader is attached to the diagnostic port. So I cycled it back and forth, took a short ride with the flaps open just to see how it sounded.

So this morning it's 32 deg F outside and car has been sitting overnight and I take a ride to the store. Now I would expect the 'rattle' to happen. The car was quiet as a mouse, no rattle at all and the entire car seemed 'smoother' than ever before.

We that have had this rattle have been pretty sure it was coming from the front end and it sounded like it was coming from the suspension but it goes away as the car heats up. But that never made much sense because the suspension is not going to be that affected by engine heat in the short amount of time it takes for the rattle to go away. But the 'flapper' valves see engine heat pretty quickly and if they were the source of the rattle, the sound could be transmitted along the exhaust pipe to the hard connection at the engine and could sound like it's coming from there.

So right now I'm thinking that maybe 'cycling' the flappers did something that reset them and whatever that was, stopped them from rattling. I'll update as I drive the car more on cold mornings.

Appreciate 0