BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Retiring in a different country

I've been seeing more articles lately of American citizens(U.S. born or otherwise) retiring in 3rd world countries such as the Philippines, Vietnam, Spain, etc., places with low cost of living. Reasons are anywhere from cost, locale to they don't like where this country is going.

Just curious if any of you are planning on doing the same and around what age?

Myself, my parents brought my family from Vietnam to AZ when I was young and we still have a house back home so if at any point in life I feel I have enough money I'm out.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

smart people
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Wow, since when is Spain a "3rd world country"? ?
Only in America...
      06-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

^ Greece pretty much is... lol
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

No kids here, so it'll be easy for the wife and I to do so. We've talked about it. But i'm not sold on it just yet. We've talked about St. Lucia, Cayman Islands, New Zealand, Costa Rica, even Canada. Or maybe even the middle of nowhere Montana.
      06-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #6
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Had to laugh at the Spain reference!

I'm about five years from retiring so we're looking. We would consider another country but both my wife and I have parents who are older and despite having siblings, see ourselves as the likely caretakers as they become less independent. So we'll likely stay in the U.S. for now...
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2015, 10:30 PM   #7
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

When I retire, I'll try the NC/FL 6 month arrangement for a time - just to see what its like. Not sure if we'll keep the place in Sarasota long term...

I have also given much thought to retiring abroad or closer to Central/South America. I am in the same boat as you (DINK), so it would not be that difficult to just go...

Really like the SG M in your signature BTW - I am partial to that color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 10:47 PM   #8
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
When I retire, I'll try the NC/FL 6 month arrangement for a time - just to see what its like. Not sure if we'll keep the place in Sarasota long term...

I have also given much thought to retiring abroad or closer to Central/South America. I am in the same boat as you (DINK), so it would not be that difficult to just go...

Really like the SG M in your signature BTW - I am partial to that color.
Wife wants to be near a beach for at least 3 months of the year. So she likes the St. Lucia (where we got married) and Costa Rica options. I would be fine in the middle of Montana.

But unless the US really changes for worse, we'll likely be in the US. Depending on how much cash we have at that time, we may have dual locations or just find a beach condo on the emerald coast of FL that we can rent for a few months a year in the spring time. Maybe some place outside of Denver as a permanent residence.

Thanks, I agree about being partial to SG on the E92! I personally believe they designed the E92 in that color.
      06-28-2015, 10:49 PM   #9
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Wife wants to be near a beach for at least 3 months of the year. So she likes the St. Lucia (where we got married) and Costa Rica options. I would be fine in the middle of Montana.

But unless the US really changes for worse, we'll likely be in the US. Depending on how much cash we have at that time, we may have dual locations or just find a beach condo on the emerald coast of FL that we can rent for a few months a year in the spring time. Maybe some place outside of Denver as a permanent residence.

Thanks, I agree about being partial to SG on the E92! I personally believe they designed the E92 in that color.
How far are you from the gulf now? We are on Lido Key, bought there in 2007 when R/E took a steep hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:10 PM   #10
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
I heard good things about retiring in The Netherlands... But as someone who did research on the subject matter, the average person retires with amounts nowhere nearly enough for retirement... The last time I ran a retirement assessment for myself only, it said that I would need $150K to retire (and that was 5 years ago)... So these people have probably figured out somewhere with a lower cost of living would work a bit better since you can live lavishly on $30K (for example).
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:15 PM   #11
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

@ nefarious, I assume you're taking annual income?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:21 PM   #12
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
@ nefarious, I assume you're taking annual income?
No, as in the amount you have saved up by the time you're 67... I WISH I had an annual income of $150K! But then again, I had mine set to a fairly modest setting (e.g. minimal expenses, no kids/wife)... A more worry-free retirement would be somewhere around $500K - $750K.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:24 PM   #13
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxyblue View Post
I've been seeing more articles lately of American citizens(U.S. born or otherwise) retiring in 3rd world countries such as the Philippines, Vietnam, Spain, etc., places with low cost of living.
Will be retiring at 50-52 and moving to Washington State, which, unlike Spain, is not a thrid world country.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:35 PM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
I heard good things about retiring in The Netherlands... But as someone who did research on the subject matter, the average person retires with amounts nowhere nearly enough for retirement... The last time I ran a retirement assessment for myself only, it said that I would need $150K to retire (and that was 5 years ago)... So these people have probably figured out somewhere with a lower cost of living would work a bit better since you can live lavishly on $30K (for example).
The Netherlands? Really? Curious as to why that would come up as a sensible choice.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 12:07 AM   #15
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
The Netherlands? Really? Curious as to why that would come up as a sensible choice.
Weed and hookers J/K (kinda) I just read in a magazine that they do a good job of catering to the elderly, plus 90% of the population can speak English, so my chances of a language barrier are slimmer...

But I've also been thinking of going the next country over to Germany for the longest time for heritage purposes (my grandfather was from Prussia, which = modern-day Germany and Poland) as well, plus I already know some German, not to mention that's where I am thinking of bailing to if our incompetent US government gets too far out of control, especially since my mom's Godson works for the embassy.

Either way, a good percentage of the EU is good for retirement in general though.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 02:58 AM   #16
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
Wow, since when is Spain a "3rd world country"? ?
Only in America...
Didn't mean to say Spain is a third world country. I just remember a few weeks ago reading about people moving there and retiring in small towns by the coast for around 1k USD/month.

I've been reading articles online lately from people, mostly Americans, that have moved to these countries in the past decade or so and writing that they're living fairly comfortably (rent, food, travel, entertainment, etc.) in the neighborhood of 1k USD monthly once they learn the culture and learn how/where to spend money wisely.

My family gives me shit about me wanting to go home and telling me I have no idea how expensive it is to live there. I went back two years ago for the first time since I moved here and I couldn't believe how cheap everything was.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 03:33 AM   #17
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible SS/SS

Garage List
Long way off for me but trying to get my parents to buy in Spain now so they can half their time between there and UK. At the moment house prices are low in Spain so it's a good time to buy.

That's probably what I'd like to do but depends on situation with kids as wouldn't want to leave and not see grandchildren and be able to offer support with them.

Also have ties to Canada so that's an option should things continue to go down hill in Europe with all this terrorism. I guess decisions like this can't be made until a lot nearer the time but having a goal in mind now is useful.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 03:39 AM   #18
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Nef can you give us more info and calculation as to how it's remotely possible to retire with $150k? I'm genuinely curious.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 03:40 AM   #19
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Sounds like a good idea, until you want to buy a car, a house or healthcare then the vacation's over. I lived in Argentina for four years and loved every minute but an Evo X was $90k an M3 $210k and buying a house was a legal pita, so was healthcare unless you were a legal resident.
I decided good one USA is just fine for retiring unless your idea of retiring in one these countries is renting out a nice apt for peanuts and never owning anything, then cool.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 04:49 AM   #20
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxyblue View Post
I've been seeing more articles lately of American citizens(U.S. born or otherwise) retiring in 3rd world countries such as the Philippines, Vietnam, Spain, etc., places with low cost of living. Reasons are anywhere from cost, locale to they don't like where this country is going.

Just curious if any of you are planning on doing the same and around what age?

Myself, my parents brought my family from Vietnam to AZ when I was young and we still have a house back home so if at any point in life I feel I have enough money I'm out.
Don't come to Europe because Euro/prices and taxes are insane compared with the US/prices .
That's why I said more than once..."God bless America"

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 05:59 AM   #21
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

this has crossed my mind many times. i will probably do it. but who knows what time will bring... i've got a ways to go.

that being said, what are some actual viable options? ie, decent healthcare, low cost living etc..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 08:23 AM   #22
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Don't come to Europe because Euro/prices and taxes are insane compared with the US/prices .
That's why I said more than once..."God bless America"
How about we let all the Americans retire in Europe so all of us Europeans can retire in the USA?
Appreciate 1