BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-22-2023, 06:43 PM   #1
shuiyuan
Rep
Drives: c43

Arrow 650i vs m6,anyone had 650i and upgraded to m6?

Hi, New member here, just sold my e46 330ci and been looking for a 2013+ F13 650i RWD or M6 ,i did a lot research and couldn't find the direct right answer so i decided to ask on here.
Either 650i or m6 I'm buying will be over 80k miles, from what i was reading M6 has more reliable engine, but DCT is not as reliable as ZF8 in higher mileage( clutch wear out from previous owner , over heating etc.) and a lots people say 650I N63TU uses more oil than the m6 S63TU engine.
I'm looking for a conformable daily driver, also i do like fast cars, which most people say 650I is not slow car, and of course m6 is faster and sportier.
Also i found people say m6 gets better gas mileage than a 650i which is unbelievable to me, also 650i sounds better than a m6 if both had downpipe & exhaust done(i only drove m6 before with catless downpipe and straight piped exhaust it didn't sound like v8 to me at all and it was a pretty quiet car still).
if any member who had or drove both before please give some inputs . Any information will be very appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 08:31 AM   #2
FinalRenegade
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe | Last Model Year

Yup!

I had a 2018 650i GranCoupe (AWD) in Carbon Black and upgraded to a 2019 M6 Gran Coupe in San Marino Blue.

1) I don't remember feeding engine oil outside of regular maintenance on my M6 in the last 30,000KM, whereas I've constantly had to top up in the 650 every 5-7K KM

2) 650 is gonna be very comfy, though with the runflats on the 650 versus Michelin PSS, the M6 felt less bumpy if you can believe it lol; but putting the suspension setting in sport plus will change that

3) M6 gas mileage is better for whatever reason, that's what I noticed

4) I have the M Perf Titanium exhaust on my M6 and its LOUD, coldstarts are deafening, especially in a garage, underground parking, etc...

I loved both but the M6 wins in looks and perceived engine reliability

I do not drive it hard until engines are warm, and usually let it cool down a bit by driving conservatively home before shutting it off and still got two bottles of oil in the trunk for rainy days. No issues so far, knock on wood, going to do the 55point inspection that the dealer offers for cheap this up coming service interval.

Oh one more thing, M-Tax is real, everything is pricier :/

Final opinion, if you're not getting the 650 for its AWD, I'd get M6
Past : 2016 428i Gran Coupe (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2023, 09:27 AM   #3
shuiyuan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalRenegade View Post
Yup!

I had a 2018 650i GranCoupe (AWD) in Carbon Black and upgraded to a 2019 M6 Gran Coupe in San Marino Blue.

1) I don't remember feeding engine oil outside of regular maintenance on my M6 in the last 30,000KM, whereas I've constantly had to top up in the 650 every 5-7K KM

2) 650 is gonna be very comfy, though with the runflats on the 650 versus Michelin PSS, the M6 felt less bumpy if you can believe it lol; but putting the suspension setting in sport plus will change that

3) M6 gas mileage is better for whatever reason, that's what I noticed

4) I have the M Perf Titanium exhaust on my M6 and its LOUD, coldstarts are deafening, especially in a garage, underground parking, etc...

I loved both but the M6 wins in looks and perceived engine reliability

I do not drive it hard until engines are warm, and usually let it cool down a bit by driving conservatively home before shutting it off and still got two bottles of oil in the trunk for rainy days. No issues so far, knock on wood, going to do the 55point inspection that the dealer offers for cheap this up coming service interval.

Oh one more thing, M-Tax is real, everything is pricier :/

Final opinion, if you're not getting the 650 for its AWD, I'd get M6
Thank you so much for all your info! you made me think that I should get a m6 which saves gas and more comfortable lol

Great advice ! I will warm up the engine every time before i drive hard, but do i have to let it idle for a while before shut the car as old school turbo timer? i do hear that if you don't the rod bearings will give up even on low mileage engines.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 11:39 AM   #4
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

The 650i is a relaxed GT car or personal luxury coupe in my mind that never really wakes up or allows you to drive it above about 7 out of 10. I've driven a few and to me they really hide their 300kw or 330kw of power in a most amazing way.

I generally dislike Audis but the C7 S6 which has the same power and a bit less torque had a better drivetrain overall in my mind due to the DCT. Of course being an Audi the interior is shit and it won't turn around corners at all while riding like rubbish...but as I said I don't like Audis!

Obviously the M6 isn't a lightweight track car but the many suspension changes and the DCT I feel that it can be exciting when pushing on and when you want to have a bit of fun. Also the M6 still has hydraulic steering as well which I believe makes a big difference.

Everything I've read makes the DCT very reliable apart from possibly clutch wear if you've tuned it but a clutch pack isn't hard to change - probably cheaper than a full replacement ZF8 in fact.

The M6 will never sound like a normal V8 due to its exhaust manifold setup but as FinalRenegade said it is still plenty loud and I think the unique setup makes the car feel a bit special as well as it doesn't sound like anything else out there.
      02-23-2023, 11:44 AM   #5
danielgmanm6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ///M6 F13

Garage List
2013 Bmw M6  [0.00]
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiyuan View Post
Hi, New member here, just sold my e46 330ci and been looking for a 2013+ F13 650i RWD or M6 ,i did a lot research and couldn't find the direct right answer so i decided to ask on here.
Either 650i or m6 I'm buying will be over 80k miles, from what i was reading M6 has more reliable engine, but DCT is not as reliable as ZF8 in higher mileage( clutch wear out from previous owner , over heating etc.) and a lots people say 650I N63TU uses more oil than the m6 S63TU engine.
I'm looking for a conformable daily driver, also i do like fast cars, which most people say 650I is not slow car, and of course m6 is faster and sportier.
Also i found people say m6 gets better gas mileage than a 650i which is unbelievable to me, also 650i sounds better than a m6 if both had downpipe & exhaust done(i only drove m6 before with catless downpipe and straight piped exhaust it didn't sound like v8 to me at all and it was a pretty quiet car still).
if any member who had or drove both before please give some inputs . Any information will be very appreciated!

I wouldn't purchase an m6 with that mileage. I also would purchase one if gas mileage is an issues. It's better to have a 2nd vehicle imo. Many ppl daily them, buy I wouldn't if you can help it. As far as performance is concerned, I would have to assume it's not even close to an m6
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2023, 01:28 PM   #6
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgmanm6 View Post
I wouldn't purchase an m6 with that mileage. I also would purchase one if gas mileage is an issues. It's better to have a 2nd vehicle imo. Many ppl daily them, buy I wouldn't if you can help it. As far as performance is concerned, I would have to assume it's not even close to an m6
I've taken mine from 4k miles to 75k miles and now I'm somewhat emotionally invested in the car so until I can afford an 812 I don't think I'll change it so I'm somewhat biased here! But I do understand that if all the budget allows is for a high mileage high performance car that it may not be the best option unless you can do your own mechanical work.

In saying that, the expensive stuff that goes bang is going to be similar in a 650i or an M6. Honestly a 640i with a tune will be quicker, lighter and better on economy while having a larger aftermarket support network so I almost see that as a better option than a 650i
      02-23-2023, 05:47 PM   #7
shuiyuan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
I've taken mine from 4k miles to 75k miles and now I'm somewhat emotionally invested in the car so until I can afford an 812 I don't think I'll change it so I'm somewhat biased here! But I do understand that if all the budget allows is for a high mileage high performance car that it may not be the best option unless you can do your own mechanical work.

In saying that, the expensive stuff that goes bang is going to be similar in a 650i or an M6. Honestly a 640i with a tune will be quicker, lighter and better on economy while having a larger aftermarket support network so I almost see that as a better option than a 650i
I do have other cars i can use in case and i do work on all my cars myself, from everyone replied in the post, I think I should get a M6 , and is 640i more reliable than the v8s? i do find that a lots people said that n55 motor is slow in 6 series chassis, can a 640i be faster than 650i from just a tune, or i need downpipe exhaust all other mods.

Thanks again for all the replies above , all the information are very helpful
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2023, 10:54 AM   #8
Oris4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35i

If I didn’t need awd then I would go with the m6 without hesitation. I have a 650 grancoupe with a bunch of stuff done, more on the way but it’s not an m6 and never will be. I feel you will regret it, the 6 is not a common car and the m6 is just that much more exclusive imo
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 04:12 PM   #9
shuiyuan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oris4 View Post
If I didn’t need awd then I would go with the m6 without hesitation. I have a 650 grancoupe with a bunch of stuff done, more on the way but it’s not an m6 and never will be. I feel you will regret it, the 6 is not a common car and the m6 is just that much more exclusive imo
yes, i will get the m6! in same mileage and year there is only $10k-15k difference on the price between 650 and m6, i don't think is that much difference on price and m6 is worth it
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 11:03 AM   #10
machareus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 F06 M6 CP, '21 Alpina XB7

I went from an E90 328xi to a F06 650xi and that was (obviously) a serious upgrade. I loved driving the 650 and based on what I was coming from it felt like a beast. But I lost the car to flash flooding after about 6 months and replaced it with an F06 M6.

The M6 is an utter delight. It feels like the engine wants you to ask for more power no matter what speed you're already at. There was a line from an Alpina XB7 review that I read which I think also describes the M6: "there’s something intangibly beautiful about the way an ALPINA engine performs, as if it’s powered by explosive cream. It’s lovely."

Beyond the engine:
- the styling is more aggressive
- the rims are wider so the rear profile especially looks better to me
- the DCT is an absolute joy and shifts very quickly and (if you want) very violently
- I have an after market exhaust and can open the valves which vastly improves sound
- the turbo whistle is addictive
- I think the instrument cluster in the M6 looks more classic than the 650, but they are fairly similar
- not once have I missed having a sunroof
- I live in North Jersey so I run dedicated winter tires and have had to drive through snow; on plowed roads no issues whatsover, but with a couple inches of powder on the ground it was a little sketchy getting going from a stop
- Maintenance is significantly more expensive

Good luck with the purchase! You will love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 03:23 PM   #11
shuiyuan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by machareus View Post
I went from an E90 328xi to a F06 650xi and that was (obviously) a serious upgrade. I loved driving the 650 and based on what I was coming from it felt like a beast. But I lost the car to flash flooding after about 6 months and replaced it with an F06 M6.

The M6 is an utter delight. It feels like the engine wants you to ask for more power no matter what speed you're already at. There was a line from an Alpina XB7 review that I read which I think also describes the M6: "there’s something intangibly beautiful about the way an ALPINA engine performs, as if it’s powered by explosive cream. It’s lovely."

Beyond the engine:
- the styling is more aggressive
- the rims are wider so the rear profile especially looks better to me
- the DCT is an absolute joy and shifts very quickly and (if you want) very violently
- I have an after market exhaust and can open the valves which vastly improves sound
- the turbo whistle is addictive
- I think the instrument cluster in the M6 looks more classic than the 650, but they are fairly similar
- not once have I missed having a sunroof
- I live in North Jersey so I run dedicated winter tires and have had to drive through snow; on plowed roads no issues whatsover, but with a couple inches of powder on the ground it was a little sketchy getting going from a stop
- Maintenance is significantly more expensive

Good luck with the purchase! You will love it.
Thank you for more information on the comparison of two models! speaking about the cluster, i was wondering why m6 never came with full digital 6wb style one, lots people say because the HUD, but i do find 650i with 6WB cluster with HUD, i think BMW wanted to keep the M6 more classic as you said.
i will get catless downpipe and aftermarket exhaust as well, i love the sound of DCT is so quick that the engine RPM almost doesn't change at all!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 06:11 PM   #12
Matrixman
Rep
Drives: Seeking

Did you end up getting the M6?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 01:13 PM   #13
Infamous039
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 Xdrive35i M-Sport

I would say go for the M6; I have had both. 2015 M6 Gran Coupe that got totaled back in September 2023. I replaced it with a 2016 650i gran coupe xdrive, thinking the AWD would be better option as I live in NJ. I will be honest and say that every time I drive my 650, I think about the M6. The styling, motor, and performance is just unmatched when comparing the two.
96 Camry (Daily Ride)
Appreciate 0