BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #23
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Oh man! Exhaust system looks amazing though!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 01:13 AM   #24
JimM6GC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC; '16 B6

Well, here it is ready for concrete. Probably not too many residential driveways have 5/8" rebar for reinforcing the slab (spaced one-foot apart to boot).

I'm hoping to hire a small crew to place and finish the concrete so that I can get it done in one day. If I finish the job with my usual assistant, I probably would have to split the job into two parts over two separate days. We'll see what happens.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #25
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM6GC View Post
Well, here it is ready for concrete. Probably not too many residential driveways have 5/8" rebar for reinforcing the slab (spaced one-foot apart to boot).
When the big one hits, I want to be on your driveway
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #26
dentaltech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 coupe

Holly smokes do you own a steel shop? The money you saved by doing it yourself was just eaten up on all that heavy steel.

Simple prefab grid would work just fine, aside from me judging I have to commend you on your work, very very nice job thus far.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:05 PM   #27
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Impressive work !!!
Cant wait to see it finished with a pic of the M6 of course
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 01:14 AM   #28
JimM6GC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC; '16 B6

Thanks, folks.

BTW, I started doing my own construction work not to save money, but because of the dismal level of quality we experienced after hiring local tradespeople. Even people who came highly recommended by the locals (we live in a very rural area). I've seen a bathroom vent duct that terminated inside the wall of the building shown in the pictures above, one drain pipe capped off with duct tape, another drain pipe that terminated against the solid outside wall of a connecting drain pipe, improperly-taped buried gas pipe that corroded to the point that gas was leaking out of a fitting, and on and on.

So now I literally can build a house from start to finish, from initial excavation to final inspection (I acted as general contractor on our main house). Plumbing and electrical, both rough and finish, are my favorites. I even constructed the Versa-lock block stairs in the photos. The only thing I don't do is finish carpentry and drywall.

I grew to love doing my own construction work because my "day job" was very intellectually demanding (I'm a retired patent attorney who loved his work), and it just felt great to go out and swing a hammer, run a backhoe, or solder a copper pipe after a day of intense thought. There are people who can do things "prettier" than me, but there are also plenty of people who do things that look downright half-assed. In any event, it's what's behind the drywall, or inside or below the concrete slab, where things go wrong. The following photo shows where the results of multiple concrete contractors ended up. The most common failure mode was improper site preparation, especially improper materials used for the base below the slab and improper compaction (if at all). And the reason I use 5/8" rebar configured as shown in the previous photo is not for the added strength of reinforcement (though it sure doesn't hurt), but because it can support the weight of a stout man while the concrete is being poured. In the past I would watch the crew stand on the reinforcement while the concrete was being poured and watch the reinforcement get flattened against the ground where it does little good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 04:09 AM   #29
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM6GC View Post
Thanks, folks.

BTW, I started doing my own construction work not to save money, but because of the dismal level of quality we experienced after hiring local tradespeople. Even people who came highly recommended by the locals (we live in a very rural area). I've seen a bathroom vent duct that terminated inside the wall of the building shown in the pictures above, one drain pipe capped off with duct tape, another drain pipe that terminated against the solid outside wall of a connecting drain pipe, improperly-taped buried gas pipe that corroded to the point that gas was leaking out of a fitting, and on and on.

So now I literally can build a house from start to finish, from initial excavation to final inspection (I acted as general contractor on our main house). Plumbing and electrical, both rough and finish, are my favorites. I even constructed the Versa-lock block stairs in the photos. The only thing I don't do is finish carpentry and drywall.

I grew to love doing my own construction work because my "day job" was very intellectually demanding (I'm a retired patent attorney who loved his work), and it just felt great to go out and swing a hammer, run a backhoe, or solder a copper pipe after a day of intense thought. There are people who can do things "prettier" than me, but there are also plenty of people who do things that look downright half-assed. In any event, it's what's behind the drywall, or inside or below the concrete slab, where things go wrong. The following photo shows where the results of multiple concrete contractors ended up. The most common failure mode was improper site preparation, especially improper materials used for the base below the slab and improper compaction (if at all). And the reason I use 5/8" rebar configured as shown in the previous photo is not for the added strength of reinforcement (though it sure doesn't hurt), but because it can support the weight of a stout man while the concrete is being poured. In the past I would watch the crew stand on the reinforcement while the concrete was being poured and watch the reinforcement get flattened against the ground where it does little good.
Sure wish I could do this to fix my driveway so I could have a r3ally nice spoiler. an am I soooo jealous!d
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:21 PM   #30
BMvue
Registered
Rep
Drives: M6 alpine white conv. e64

what we do for our cars
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #31
Chas_97
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe