Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Gowans View Post
No worries, to be fair I was thinking the same thing. It's pretty strange as it's not even an M-lite so to speak. I just checked a few other posts/members cars and they have them too.
I'm toying with the idea of removing them anyway.
Maybe its an M-sport thing there. I think they look damn nice without the badge. the creasing across the fender and doors and the M-sport lower body panels give it plenty of visual interest.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #24
Dodge_Gowans
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 640d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Thanks, but they're the wrong bulbs. As the description says, they're for the E60 5 series. Checked the seller's listing and can't find anything for the current 6 series.
Hopefully I can help.
I know from autobulbsdirect.co.uk that-
955 W16W is the bulb type for the reversing light.

The link I posted is the exact ones I have (from that seller) fitted in my F06 6 series.
They are LED W16W's.
A bulb is a bulb no matter what car/where you fit it. I'm not sure why the listing is vehicle specific. Perhaps it is for eBay filters - when people are looking for specific parts for their car. + I have noticed eBay has setup some compatibility check on their app.

Hopefully you can get some sorted. Just be careful of the canbus system.

Last edited by Dodge_Gowans; 10-25-2016 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #25
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Strange.
W16W is the bulb type.
I have these fitted in my F06 6 series..
This is the link to the site I bought them from.
Yes, the handbook says they're W16W, haven't removed the existing bulbs yet but am I correct in assuming they're just a push fit? Found these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Indic...=w16w+car+bulb described as 'error free', might give them a go.
Not done coding before - just had a look at the Carly App, do you have lite or pro and please can you let me know how you bypassed the bulb error? Any other advice on using the app would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks, Jon
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #26
Dodge_Gowans
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Yes, the handbook says they're W16W, haven't removed the existing bulbs yet but am I correct in assuming they're just a push fit? Found these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Indic...=w16w+car+bulb described as 'error free', might give them a go.
Not done coding before - just had a look at the Carly App, do you have lite or pro and please can you let me know how you bypassed the bulb error? Any other advice on using the app would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks, Jon
Fairly straightforward to fit. Lift the boot and remove the carpet panel that covers the inside. The bulbs are push fit into a 'twist to secure' fixing, if that makes sense. It's a little bit fiddly but not difficult.
The ones on the link look better than the ones I have.
As anissue with mine is that at certain angles you can just about make out the yellow colour to the SMDs. But that is being hyper critical.

I have the pro version, with the gen 2 adaptor (Bluetooth for android).
Get the lite first to confirm it works though. I have it setup on a cheap tablet I bought at Tesco but used to use it on my phone until I went iPhone. It's very simple to use. Some of my friends also have BMWs so i let them use it as they like and they love how easy it is to add things to their cars. Beware it's not as comprehensive as manual coding but Carly create regular updates and their F-series coding is growing quickly.
The only other thing is payback, if you buy the adaptor (try amazon for best price) then the app (App Store, free updates etc) and a phone/tablet to run it on its expensive. Especially as it may work out cheaper to do it yourself and buy the cable for your laptop and get the software for free. Or even get a cable and a coding expert to remotely code for you. But Carly is a much easier option.
Also, think about if you want wifi/apple version or Bluetooth/android version.
I went Bluetooth as I used the adaptor for other things in my old car like DIY HUD and the torque app is really good. The wifi module looked bulky and would mean I can't connect to the internet simultaneously.

Hopefully that helps
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #27
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Your advice is greatly appreciated, thanks very much.
I'll definitely try the Carly lite for my iPhone, 'proper' coding via cable is out for me as I use Apple computers - ok, I could buy a cheap Windows machine but my depth of coding will be prety much for interest only.
I'll try the Amazon bulbs and let you know how I get on.
I find it amazing that such an expensive car has such poor reversing lights as standard and was very surprised that they didn't upgrade them along with the other 2015 changes - might as well stick a candle on the back bumper for all the good they are!
Appreciate 1
JakeBMW11.50
      10-26-2016, 04:15 PM   #28
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Quote:
Dyno Results below;
I wonder what my car is reading at the flywheel as at the wheels the last Dyno was 305whp?
      10-27-2016, 01:40 AM   #29
skelts
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Dyno Results below;
Who was he re-map done by?

What's the traction like with more power as it was already tail happy before?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 06:59 AM   #30
Dodge_Gowans
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandanbmw View Post
I wonder what my car is reading at the flywheel as at the wheels the last Dyno was 305whp?
I don't know how crank power/ gearbox loss is calculated.

At a guess it though, it would seem practical to say you car would be more powerful than this one. They really are impressive for a 'soot chucker' aren't they?! Lol

Last edited by Dodge_Gowans; 10-27-2016 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #31
gtr_skyline
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Sport / X3 2.0d Sport

Lovely car - grateful if you could share source of your puddle lights - look cool
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #32
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandanbmw View Post
I don't know how crank power/ gearbox loss is calculated.

At a guess it though, it would seem practical to say you car would be more powerful than this one. They really are impressive for a 'soot chucker' aren't they?! Lol
Yes they certainly do surprise a lot of so called fast cars on the road