BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-25-2017, 06:55 AM   #1
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Vibration now solved!

So since iv picked my car up there's been a vibration through the car at motorway speeds. I looked at the rear wheels and noticed the lack of weights. So I thought this must be it and took it back to the garage today. They have put weights on the car but there is no motorway near the garage so couldn't test it there and then. On the return home I think it's got worse! The other thing is they put new tyres on the back and when I checked the pressures one of the wheels was very low. I am now thinking that the rim could be buckled?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RX8, Alfa Romeo GTV, 640d GC

Any vibrations under braking?

I had a similar problem with the rx8 and was to do with warped discs.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCobra1 View Post
Any vibrations under braking?

I had a similar problem with the rx8 and was to do with warped discs.
Brand new discs on the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
bravo261
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650

its a cast wheel i assume you have, so its pretty unlikely its bent. i mean, when i hit holes to bend my various wheels with a 30 or 35 series tire, its easy to tell that type of force was going to bend a wheel...so i'm saying, if you bent a wheel, you'd know it.

and bent wheels wouldn't generally leak air anyways unless its an extremely sharp bend, but your tire installer should have mentioned if he saw something that might compromise his work or if the tire had a hard time beading correctly. give those guys a chance, and they'll take any disclaimer so that you can't blame them later.

noticing the weights is the best bet. try balancing at another shop
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo261 View Post
its a cast wheel i assume you have, so its pretty unlikely its bent. i mean, when i hit holes to bend my various wheels with a 30 or 35 series tire, its easy to tell that type of force was going to bend a wheel...so i'm saying, if you bent a wheel, you'd know it.

and bent wheels wouldn't generally leak air anyways unless its an extremely sharp bend, but your tire installer should have mentioned if he saw something that might compromise his work or if the tire had a hard time beading correctly. give those guys a chance, and they'll take any disclaimer so that you can't blame them later.

noticing the weights is the best bet. try balancing at another shop
It's been like it since I picked the car up last Saturday so I don't know if it's hit pot holes or not. I had a tyre garage look at the rear wheels and they said the weights weren't in the right place but alas even after that the car still feels the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:15 PM   #6
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

So a quick update. Turns out that one of the new tyres on the back had a fault in it which meant it was more oval than round!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #7
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Did it get fixed? Mine is with the dealer now for warranty work. They took it on a drive and identified the vibration at motorway speeds. They have examined it though and can't find any evidence of wheel damage or anything else so they suspect it's just balancing. Typical as that's not covered under warranty but at least it could be worse
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 02:28 AM   #8
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Did it get fixed? Mine is with the dealer now for warranty work. They took it on a drive and identified the vibration at motorway speeds. They have examined it though and can't find any evidence of wheel damage or anything else so they suspect it's just balancing. Typical as that's not covered under warranty but at least it could be worse
Yes it's much better now although I still don't think it's as smooth as it should be as I'm sure my f31 felt smoother at speed. Perhaps I'm being hyper sensitive but I'm sure I can feel a resonance through the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 04:33 AM   #9
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I've just heard back from the dealer. They've had a good look and definitely can't find anything seriously wrong, but they did notice the offside front tyre is slightly worn in a strange pattern, possibly due to low pressure over time, but still legal. Also they said the offside rear is shaped slightly like a 50p piece! So if that's true then a combination of those tyres plus balancing is probably causing the vibration. Might be an excuse for a Michelin tyre upgrade all round!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 04:37 AM   #10
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I've just heard back from the dealer. They've had a good look and definitely can't find anything seriously wrong, but they did notice the offside front tyre is slightly worn in a strange pattern, possibly due to low pressure over time, but still legal. Also they said the offside rear is shaped slightly like a 50p piece! So if that's true then a combination of those tyres plus balancing is probably causing the vibration. Might be an excuse for a Michelin tyre upgrade all round!
Perhaps it's a characteristic of 20" rims? They put two brand new Dunlop's on the rear (previously Bridgestone) and two nearly new Dunlops on the front (from another 640d) so as to not mix the tyres.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 04:38 AM   #11
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Did you get that under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 04:41 AM   #12
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Did you get that under warranty?
Yes didn't pay a penny and rightly so I think as we pay a premium to buy from a dealer and these things should really be checked especially on high speed runs.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 04:48 AM   #13
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

The problem is that the supplying dealer would be the one to cover that cost, who are 200 miles from me and a different group to my local dealer who are replacing the headlight, boot struts, fitting the upgraded seat repair kit and so on, so I need to try and convince them to cover the tyre cost (which isn't a typical warranty item) and then pay my local dealer for them.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 04:50 AM   #14
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The problem is that the supplying dealer would be the one to cover that cost, who are 200 miles from me and a different group to my local dealer who are replacing the headlight, boot struts, fitting the upgraded seat repair kit and so on, so I need to try and convince them to cover the tyre cost (which isn't a typical warranty item) and then pay my local dealer for them.
Ah I see. Yes you'll have to get the supplying dealer to reimburse you or pay the local dealer directly.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #15
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

so the dealer won't reimburse the whole cost but they will pay the cost of the tyres that have uneven wear, I'm probably going to get about £300 from them. I now need to find somewhere that actually has Michelin PSS in stock in a reasonable time. They are discontinue now so hard to get hold of it seems
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #16
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

So an update regarding the issue. It seemed better after the new tyres and alloys they put on BUT it still never felt better than my F31 which I was surprised about Bering in mind these are nearly 70k cars. After a few trips down the motorway I came to realise it was still shaking. I got all 4 wheels rebalanced just to rule that out but it seems if anything worse. A question for other coupe/grand coupe owners is does the car feel like it's got scuttle shake going over bumps? Also I made the abs kick in today going at a low speed and the car felt like it clunked to the left and felt disjointed. This along with the passenger head rest shaking leads me to believe that there's some thing wrong with the left hand side front suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 02:49 PM   #17
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiedog View Post
So an update regarding the issue. It seemed better after the new tyres and alloys they put on BUT it still never felt better than my F31 which I was surprised about Bering in mind these are nearly 70k cars. After a few trips down the motorway I came to realise it was still shaking. I got all 4 wheels rebalanced just to rule that out but it seems if anything worse. A question for other coupe/grand coupe owners is does the car feel like it's got scuttle shake going over bumps? Also I made the abs kick in today going at a low speed and the car felt like it clunked to the left and felt disjointed. This along with the passenger head rest shaking leads me to believe that there's some thing wrong with the left hand side front suspension?
I can't say for sure as my vibration is still there, hopefully be fixed tomorrow with the new wheels, but over bumps I get no rattle now my seats had to upgraded nuts and bolts fitted, no rattle from anywhere else in the car I don't think. In terms of scuttle shake, I only get this a little bit when reversing out my drive and the chassis flexes a bit over the kerb outside my house, and only when it's cold really. Never noticed it over bumps or anything like that. Feels quite well put together in that respect.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:59 AM   #18
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

So yet another update regarding the issue. Turns out one of the alloys had a tiny flat spot on it. I'm getting the seat base replaced too whilst it's in the garage as there's a very small patch near the front of the seat thats worn the colour away. Hopefully get it back today or tomorrow morning and hand that Nast 220d grand tourer back!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 02:01 AM   #19
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Are they covering the seat base under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 02:24 AM   #20
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Are they covering the seat base under warranty?
Yes they are and the rear camera is being replaced too as the BMW badge is slightly catching on the edge and so the lacquer has worn meaning water has then got underneath and started to bubble.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 02:45 AM   #21
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Interesting, I have a little wear too, I might have to bring that up!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #22
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiedog View Post
Yes they are and the rear camera is being replaced too as the BMW badge is slightly catching on the edge and so the lacquer has worn meaning water has then got underneath and started to bubble.
I am having something similar. Camera has been catching, not fully closing, and is setting off a camera malfunction warning every time I shift into reverse
Appreciate 0