BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > Member's Classifieds [6 Series and M6]

03-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
Sold

Item Interest
I've got the 1 key from my 2015 650 GC that didn't go to the salvage yard. $85 for one or both for $150. The one with the BMW Roundel is available, the one with the 6 has been sold.

EDIT: I have called a few BMW dealerships and they say that they aren't allowed to reprogram a key fob/remote, the key needs to be programmed from the factory (buy a new key $$$), but they all said that there are independent shops that have the programming equipment available and can do it, you just need to find them.

Attached Images

Last edited by Chili Palmer; 03-29-2019 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 02:09 AM   #2
DTMAMG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e63

Just curious, how do these keys work for other cars? or only specific models? thank you

the keys are used? looked to be clean/new?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 05:41 AM   #3
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

I’m almost 100% sure that newer bmw fobs cannot be programmed to other cars. Only once when the key comes from the dealership. Correct me if I’m wrong but the only ones that can even program a new fob are the dealerships. Especially with comfort access
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 06:36 AM   #4
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep

I was always under the impression that the keys could be reprogrammed to another car.
      03-29-2019, 08:36 AM   #5
Sleazy_1981
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

One thing is for sure, the blades wont fit the doors or glove box. You need to get new ones laser cut.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy_1981 View Post
One thing is for sure, the blades wont fit the doors or glove box. You need to get new ones laser cut.
That's true, but I've owned 3 BMWs since 2008 and have never used the key blade once. But there's always that one time.
      03-29-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
Sleazy_1981
Private
Rep

I bought one. I lost my keys 2 years ago and I'm down to 1 key for my M6. Ill find a local guy to reprogram it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I bought one. I lost my keys 2 years ago and I'm down to 1 key for my M6. Ill find a local guy to reprogram it.
Let me know if that works. I couldn’t find anyone local.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
I've got the 1 key from my 2015 650 GC that didn't go to the salvage yard. $85 for one or both for $150. The one with the BMW Roundel is available, the one with the 6 has been sold.

EDIT: I have called a few BMW dealerships and they say that they aren't allowed to reprogram a key fob/remote, the key needs to be programmed from the factory (buy a new key $$$), but they all said that there are independent shops that have the programming equipment available and can do it, you just need to find them.
Interested. Sending a pm
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Remember that the keys operate 3 different systems:
  • EWS - immobilizing system
  • FZV - central locking system
  • DWA - anti-theft alarm siren system

EWS uses an encrypted ISN (individual serial number) that is coded to the car and only BMW has the information in a database. This information is communicated between the DME, key and CAS/FEM/BDC modules (on these later F & G series). This data is hard to retrieve (if even retrievable in the latest iterations).

The FZV & DWA (lock/unlock & arm/disarm) features of the keys used to be reprogrammable on other BMWs that operated on the same radio frequency...but I'm not sure how easy or simple this is anymore with the increased technology of the newer gen BMWs with comfort access etc. But even if it is doable...it is different than the immobilizing (EWS) engineered designs.

This is what makes used BMW keys almost impossible to reuse. The older E series BMWs can be repurposed if you have an AK90 set-up...which requires retrieving the EWS ISN data from the DME or EWS control module...then rewriting that info on a new transponder that is inside the remote key fob. But again, the new gen BMW keys that have comfort access have a higher degree of technology and the data is written to the CAS/FEM/BDC modules...and I'm not sure how a professional keysmith (or thief) goes about retrieving this data and writing it to a new transponder chip which would then need to be installed in an old (already used) BMW remote key fob.

The mechanical key can be purchased separately (see #5 in diagram)...so if you can find someone who can actually retrieve the encrypted data and write it to a new transponder...as well as fit it inside your old remote fob...you can order a new keyblade from BMW and get it already cut through them...or if you want to chance it with a local keysmith...you can buy a blank, then have them cut it. But I'd make d$#m sure the local keysmith knows for certain that they can do it...and if they screw up...its up to them to make it right or eat the cost of a screw-up/mistake.

EDIT: here's some info from the TIS about EWS & keys:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-29-2019 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #11
Sleazy_1981
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Remember that the keys operate 3 different systems:
  • EWS - immobilizing system
  • FZV - central locking system
  • DWA - anti-theft alarm siren system

EWS uses an encrypted ISN (individual serial number) that is coded to the car and only BMW has the information in a database. This information is communicated between the DME, key and CAS/FEM/BDC modules (on these later F & G series). This data is hard to retrieve (if even retrievable in the latest iterations).

The FZV & DWA (lock/unlock & arm/disarm) features of the keys used to be reprogrammable on other BMWs that operated on the same radio frequency...but I'm not sure how easy or simple this is anymore with the increased technology of the newer gen BMWs with comfort access etc. But even if it is doable...it is different than the immobilizing (EWS) engineered designs.

This is what makes used BMW keys almost impossible to reuse. The older E series BMWs can be repurposed if you have an AK90 set-up...which requires retrieving the EWS ISN data from the DME or EWS control module...then rewriting that info on a new transponder that is inside the remote key fob. But again, the new gen BMW keys that have comfort access have a higher degree of technology and the data is written to the CAS/FEM/BDC modules...and I'm not sure how a professional keysmith (or thief) goes about retrieving this data and writing it to a new transponder chip which would then need to be installed in an old (already used) BMW remote key fob.

The mechanical key can be purchased separately (see #5 in diagram)...so if you can find someone who can actually retrieve the encrypted data and write it to a new transponder...as well as fit it inside your old remote fob...you can order a new keyblade from BMW and get it already cut through them...or if you want to chance it with a local keysmith...you can buy a blank, then have them cut it. But I'd make d$#m sure the local keysmith knows for certain that they can do it...and if they screw up...its up to them to make it right or eat the cost of a screw-up/mistake.

[COLOR="Red"]EDIT: [/COLOR] here's some info from the TIS about EWS & keys:
Wow did I just waste $85?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #12
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

lol dude you cant just buy a key and reprogram it. this is a paperweight at best. ive lost keys plenty of times, i had to buy a 500$ replacement at the dealer later each time. only the dealer can send you a new one.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:56 PM   #13
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wow did I just waste $85?
I love to say it but I told you so...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:58 PM   #14
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx__xs View Post
lol dude you cant just buy a key and reprogram it. this is a paperweight at best. ive lost keys plenty of times, i had to buy a 500$ replacement at the dealer later each time. only the dealer can send you a new one.
Right? This ain’t some 05 Honda Civic that the local “mobile van locksmith” claims he can program. People don’t listen.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #15
Sleazy_1981
Private
Rep

Found 2 local guys that said they can do it no problem. Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 09:56 AM   #16
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’m tuned in.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #17
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ditto...keep us informed to how it goes.

I know EWS 2 & EWS 3 have been cracked in that the aftermarket AK90 can retrieve the data (EWS encrypted individual serial number) and write it to a new transponder. But as mentioned in my previous posts...I've not seen EWS 4 cracked yet. Perhaps it has...so let us know if it can be done successfully.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #18
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
As the other purchaser, I'm obviously interested in the answer as well. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #19
Sleazy_1981
Private
Rep

I haven't received my key yet as its coming from LA and I live in America Jr.

Here is the official answer from the local guy.

"Yes i can. But the key itself has to be renewed before can be programmed to your car. It will have to be cut open renewed and put into new case. I can do all of it for $250CAD"

So for all you doubting this cant be done, soon you will be proven wrong. They also said you cant load MPPK yourself and I proved those guys wrong as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 12:32 AM   #20
fr_tz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90/G05 50e

Garage List
2024 G05 50e  [9.50]
Quote:

"Yes i can. But the key itself has to be renewed before can be programmed to your car. It will have to be cut open renewed and put into new case. I can do all of it for $250CAD"

So for all you doubting this cant be done, soon you will be proven wrong. They also said you cant load MPPK yourself and I proved those guys wrong as well.
Shut up scammer...zero credibility. You don't live in America.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 06:53 AM   #21
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

$250 plus the cost of the key? Might as well have gone to the damn dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:31 PM   #22
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Just for the record...I'll mention it again...I never said it couldn't be done...I just haven't seen the EWS4 hacked yet due to the change from the old gen BMWs that used EWS encrytion in the DME/EWS-CM/key transponder...and FZV/DWA under the control of the GM (general module). The AK90 can hack the EWS-CM and because those old BMWs had a keyed ignition...you can stick the key into the ignition & do a quick on/off which set-up the GM to redo the remote key's programming of the new rolling code table and key identification for every remote programmed during the same session. This gives you a key that can start the car and lock/unlock + arm/disarm the car.

The new gen BMWs with EWS4 (again) has the EWS encrypted info written to the CAS/FEM/BDC...so if your guys equipment can retrieve that data and write it to a new transponder...then at least the remote will start the car.

But how do you program the key to lock/unlock & arm/disarm the new gen BMWs? Can you take any BMW key on the correct RF (radio frequency) and hold it up to the marking on the steering wheel column...and it will program the key to lock & arm? :dunno: If you can, then we all will learn something new.

For your sake...I hope it works out...the price (as someone mentioned) is still pretty high and not far off going the normal way through the BMW dealership. But perhaps the price will drop as it becomes a more popular way to get new remote keys.

BTW...if he tells you to send your EWS control module or he'll need to hook up to your EWS-CM or DME...be prepared...because the floor is about to open beneath you!

Last edited by Qsilver7; 04-04-2019 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0