BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
Dennisr
Private
Rep
Drives: 640D Gran Coupe

Chiptuning a 640d, does the dealer notice?

Hi,

Bought a 640d M last year. Offcourse it has power, but when there's more available, why not go for that?

I owned a 535d before the 640 and it was chipped. It made a huge difference to the stock settings, especially in torque. I left a lot of cars behind me, including 911's who were scratching their heads when we encountered at the next stop light.

I put around 220.000km on my 535d without problems, except a few blown turbo hoses. Always drove the engine warm, before reving it. And left it running a few minutes after a long trip, or using it's power.

Now debating on doing my 6, but the only thing that's holding me back (for over a year now) is; I've been told that the dealer can see, in the key, or when hooking it up to the computer that it's tuned. Even when I take out the extern computer (necessary nowadays). So, bye bye warranty.

My question is; Is this a rumour to prevent cars being tuned, or is this really possible?

PS. The company which will tune my car is respectable and also works on race cars. I don't just add a powerbox, it's going on the dyno.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 02:58 AM   #2
n0shadowkick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Schwinn

I heard this is true. If bmw really wants to find out all they have to do is hook up to a comp
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The car logs any normal parameters that are exceeded. For example fuel pressure, revs, ect ect

Dealer cannot usually see this, but BMW can download it through the dealer system if there is a warranty claim they think may be due to a tune.

Another way is through FASTa data, which is real world performance data that any late model BMW can automatically upload to BMW during dealer servicing that is usually used for product development
      06-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Dennisr
Private
Rep
Drives: 640D Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
The car logs any normal parameters that are exceeded. For example fuel pressure, revs, ect ect

Dealer cannot usually see this, but BMW can download it through the dealer system if there is a warranty claim they think may be due to a tune.

Another way is through FASTa data, which is real world performance data that any late model BMW can automatically upload to BMW during dealer servicing that is usually used for product development
OK thank you for this info......
Appreciate 0