BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
stevewilm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2103 M6 Coupe

Car Wash

Anybody run their M6 through a car wash? I've got 20" wheels. We have a really good local hand wash, but they use a conveyor to run the car through the tunnel. On my 911 C4S, the tires were so low profile that the rims extended past the tires and I had some curb rash if it wasn't lined up perfectly. Normally wash it myself, but......
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
No. I never bring any of my cars to an automated car wash because they usually introduce a million hairline scratches to the clearcoat and as you've said, it can curb the wheels!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Spencer25
2015 M4 Coupe, Black Sapphire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6; 2015 F25 M4 Demo

I made the mistake of brining my M6 to a car wash in Newport Beach and I watched them clean my wheels and then use the same dirty rag on the interior. They got to half of the inside before I could stop them.

I would recommend buying the cr Spotless Water System. It's expensive and the resin replacements cost a lot, but it makes it really easy to wash your car on your own.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewilm View Post
Anybody run their M6 through a car wash? I've got 20" wheels. We have a really good local hand wash, but they use a conveyor to run the car through the tunnel. On my 911 C4S, the tires were so low profile that the rims extended past the tires and I had some curb rash if it wasn't lined up perfectly. Normally wash it myself, but......
I would say it depends on the car wash. I send mine through weekly with no problem. Never any problems with the rims. I would still double check the width of the conveyor system first. Only use soft cloth car wash. There are usually 3-4 teenagers working on the car with 4-5 drying towels that never move from outside in or vs/vs. Of course they know me. Only manager can move the car and they go through the wash with it. I have the dealer do complete detail and only use simple soap car wash to avoid unnecessary wax and who knows what else build up. Cleared it first through the dealer. Just be smart and careful in where you select.
Appreciate 0