BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-30-2023, 04:38 PM   #1
Michael520
Rep
Drives: bmw m6 x3 328i

Lost my spare key

So i just got a quote from a local bmw dealership. 425 for the remote 80 for the key blade and 250 for the programming. 750 for a replacement key before tax(f13 M6). Sounds about right?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 09:33 PM   #2
Kaizer84
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6

Yep, about what I paid. Approx $700 after tax here in NY.

Last edited by Kaizer84; 10-30-2023 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 08:00 AM   #3
M6Patrick
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435, 550, M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael520 View Post
So i just got a quote from a local bmw dealership. 425 for the remote 80 for the key blade and 250 for the programming. 750 for a replacement key before tax(f13 M6). Sounds about right?

Hi, so my dealership here quoted me over $500 for a new key, but I have been buying parts from the dealership in Westchester PA, bmwpartshub Anthony there has been extremely friendly and awesome to work with. I just ordered a new key for less than $350, including the blade. he said you can easily mate it to the car yourself. Hope this helps!

Patrick
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 08:20 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The "programming" is the part that gets most people. I believe the "programming" removes the lost/missing remote from the car's modules. So if someone intentionally took your remote to come back later to steal the car...the remote will no longer work if its been removed/canceled.

If you have no fear of this happening, then you could save money by not paying for the "programming"...because the remote's transponder comes from BMW already with the 128-bit encryption that is specific to your BMW by its VIN. And if you paid for the mechanical key...make sure that it arrives "cut" to your VIN's specific lock cylinders.

Then all is required is a simple start procedure which I believe requires holding the new remote up to the icon on the steering column to start the car (see info below).

FYI...the starting capability of the remote does not require the battery inside...starting features are powered through induction. So a dead battery in the remote will NOT prevent it from starting the vehicle. Just hold the remote next to the icon (ring aerial) on the steering column and it will power up to transmit the encryption code.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-01-2023 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2023, 09:04 AM   #5
Kaizer84
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6

^^ What he said lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 10:53 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

BTW, if I lost my key in the woods or dropped them in the ocean, or lost them while on vacation or any location that if the remote was found, no one would know who the remote belonged to or what BMW that it is for...then I'd probably forgo paying to have that remote removed/canceled.

If perchance...someone found the remote and took it to a BMW dealership to read the info stored on the remote. I'm sure the service advisors would NOT give out your info because they would see that they don't have the BMW the remote says it belongs to...and I'm sure the SA would ask for their ID which would not match the info the comes up in the database using the lost remote fob. And they are pretty strict on not sharing vehicle ownership (you have to hold gun to their heads if you purchase a used BMW and ask for service history...and most still won't share any info).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 01:51 PM   #7
Michael520
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer84 View Post
Yep, about what I paid. Approx $700 after tax here in NY.
Thank you for the response!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 01:52 PM   #8
Michael520
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6Patrick View Post
Hi, so my dealership here quoted me over $500 for a new key, but I have been buying parts from the dealership in Westchester PA, bmwpartshub Anthony there has been extremely friendly and awesome to work with. I just ordered a new key for less than $350, including the blade. he said you can easily mate it to the car yourself. Hope this helps!

Patrick
Thanks I'll look into that but the parts have to come from the dealership right?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 01:54 PM   #9
Michael520
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The "programming" is the part that gets most people. I believe the "programming" removes the lost/missing remote from the car's modules. So if someone intentionally took your remote to come back later to steal the car...the remote will no longer work if its been removed/canceled.

If you have no fear of this happening, then you could save money by not paying for the "programming"...because the remote's transponder comes from BMW already with the 128-bit encryption that is specific to your BMW by its VIN. And if you paid for the mechanical key...make sure that it arrives "cut" to your VIN's specific lock cylinders.

Then all is required is a simple start procedure which I believe requires holding the new remote up to the icon on the steering column to start the car (see info below).

FYI...the starting capability of the remote does not require the battery inside...starting features are powered through induction. So a dead battery in the remote will NOT prevent it from starting the vehicle. Just hold the remote next to the icon (ring aerial) on the steering column and it will power up to transmit the encryption code.
Wow thank you for the detailed explanation. Ok I think deactivation of the lost key is necessary for me lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 07:50 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 07:35 AM   #11
M6Patrick
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael520 View Post
Thanks I'll look into that but the parts have to come from the dealership right?

They are a BMW dealership, they are BMW of West Chester PA. They only sell BMW parts; you can go to their website and search parts. The key will say unavailable, but use the text or email, and Anthony will get back to you! My key is on the way to me as we type!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 08:01 AM   #12
M6Patrick
Registered
Rep

Quote:

Great information! Plus, if you have the dealership do it, they will simply give you a key that is guarenteed to work....eazy peazy!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 08:22 PM   #13
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:

A wealth of knowledge. Thank you for the share. I lost my spare and know it isn't coming back and need a new one. Actually my daughter lost her E93 spare too so we need two keys. This is a huge help as she and I have spent a lot of money recently on parts and repairs. I'll take any savings I can get right now.

2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 02:32 AM   #14
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
…I lost my spare and know it isn't coming back and need a new one. Actually my daughter lost her E93 spare too so we need two keys. This is a huge help as she and I have spent a lot of money recently on parts and repairs. I'll take any savings I can get right now.

If her e93 has a slot in the dash for inserting the remote…then activating a new/replacement remote is slightly different than what you use for your F chassis BMW (see instructions below).

The same applies for blocking a lost/stolen remote…there are instructions for “programming” so that it will no longer start or lock/unlock the vehicle. If you forgo that programming, you can still activate the new/replacement remote following the instructions below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-03-2023, 11:09 AM   #15
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
If her e93 has a slot in the dash for inserting the remote…then activating a new/replacement remote is slightly different than what you use for your F chassis BMW (see instructions below).

The same applies for blocking a lost/stolen remote…there are instructions for “programming” so that it will no longer start or lock/unlock the vehicle. If you forgo that programming, you can still activate the new/replacement remote following the instructions below.
Many thanks!
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 02:25 PM   #16
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0