BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-11-2015, 03:31 AM   #265
DrivetrainMalfunction650i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 650i

2012 650i Drivetrain Malfunction (DTM)

3rd time taking 650i convertible back to the dealer for DTM. Usually occurs while driving on the freeway, car starts to shake, becomes sluggish then DTM appears on dashboard. Purchased our car from BMW dealer Certified Pre-Owed 10/2014 with 30,000 miles. Started having issues within 10 months. After taking the car in the second time they kept it for 25 days and repaired numerous parts. The car was working fine until we took it for 40,000 mile maintenance. On our way home DTM issue occurred again. Seriously debating on getting a lawyer and returning the car. Worried about safety issue especially since it predominately occurs while driving on the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #266
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Wow..I'd be talking to someone at BMW regional about getting a new vehicle or taking the car back/buy back seriously at this point. Lemon laws apply?
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 01:21 AM   #267
DrivetrainMalfunction650i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 650i

Own a 2012 650i Drivetrain Malfunction (DTM) issue keeps on recurring. Trying to have them buy it back since I purchased it certified pre-owned. It has been in the shop twice for the same problem and took them 4 weeks to replace major parts. The first time DTM occurred was while driving on the freeway the car was shaking, rattling and acceleration became sluggish then the "Drivetrain Malfunction" appeared on the dash. This is a major safety issue and I have addressed it with the dealer and BMW North America headquarters in NJ. After DTM issue still appears after the major repairs. BMW has let me down I have no confidence in their vehicles. I had my previous Z4 for 11 years, never thought I would get a Lemon especially with a 650i. Anyone with similar issue who was able to have BMW buy it back or settle. Please reply. ieda_andal@yahoo.com.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #268
h6mid
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivetrainMalfunction650i View Post
Own a 2012 650i Drivetrain Malfunction (DTM) issue keeps on recurring. Trying to have them buy it back since I purchased it certified pre-owned. It has been in the shop twice for the same problem and took them 4 weeks to replace major parts. The first time DTM occurred was while driving on the freeway the car was shaking, rattling and acceleration became sluggish then the "Drivetrain Malfunction" appeared on the dash. This is a major safety issue and I have addressed it with the dealer and BMW North America headquarters in NJ. After DTM issue still appears after the major repairs. BMW has let me down I have no confidence in their vehicles. I had my previous Z4 for 11 years, never thought I would get a Lemon especially with a 650i. Anyone with similar issue who was able to have BMW buy it back or settle. Please reply. ieda_andal@yahoo.com.
I have the same model and year and bought the car with CPO. I was wondering if you managed to get the issue fixed or did they buy back your car?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #269
Chas_97
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe

I have the same issue on my 2014 M6, and the dealer has had the car for two weeks and still does not know what is wrong with the car. I'm worried a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #270
Mitaka
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 650i GC xDrive M Package

So I have been reading the articles in Road and Track but still not clear on whether or not just engines up to year 2013 are affected. That's what it says in the class action lawsuit info. I wonder if mine is affected 2015 model with production date 4/14
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #271
ShakeDaddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitaka View Post
So I have been reading the articles in Road and Track but still not clear on whether or not just engines up to year 2013 are affected. That's what it says in the class action lawsuit info. I wonder if mine is affected 2015 model with production date 4/14
Your 650i is not effected. The engine in the BMW Class Action Suit is the N63 engine found in the 650i Model Year 2012 only (also found in different BMW models). Model Year 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 for the 650i has the N63TU which is NOT included in the Class Action Suit. The customer care package for the 6 Series is ONLY Model Year 2012.

http://www.classactionsreporter.com/...action-lawsuit
20” 373 Wheels--Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 Summers/ RIP RFT
M6 Spoiler-Full LED
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:50 PM   #272
Mitaka
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 650i GC xDrive M Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeDaddy View Post
Your 650i is not effected. The engine in the BMW Class Action Suit is the N63 engine found in the 650i Model Year 2012 only (also found in different BMW models). Model Year 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 for the 650i has the N63TU which is NOT included in the Class Action Suit. The customer care package for the 6 Series is ONLY Model Year 2012.

http://www.classactionsreporter.com/...action-lawsuit
Thanks for clarifying...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #273
M6Havana
M6 f12 Havana
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Cab

Im giving up on mine! 640d n57z i get a daily drivetrain error, been in the bmw dealer over 2months , new turbos etc but cannot fix the "non-exsistant" fault!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #274
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640m View Post
Im giving up on mine! 640d n57z i get a daily drivetrain error, been in the bmw dealer over 2months , new turbos etc but cannot fix the "non-exsistant" fault!
What's BMWs stance on a warrantied car that they can't fix ?? I know USA have lemon laws but I've never seen many uk cases,

Yours must be due for a replacement by BMW uk by now surely ??
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 11:47 PM   #275
M6Havana
M6 f12 Havana
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Cab

Nothing i am currently speaking with lawyers. The car is under finance and im told if i hand the car back i will have to pay the remaining balance on the car
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #276
cemong
Rep
Drives: F13 640i

i recently purchased a used 2015 640i with only 3000 mileage. but 2 warnings keep pops up randomly. (drivetrain, and drive stabilisation. both with drive moderately notes).
another symptom is "rattle" electronic noises from under the engine hood. not sure what it is.
the diagnostic report at the dealer shows a bad valvetronic and speedcamshaft ?
im very frustrated and afraid that the DME is damaged since warranty is expired and i have to pay from my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #277
Addleduit
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Gran Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
So, exactly one month later I get the same error and scary as #*%$ trembling feeling throughout the car.

I got out of the car for about 25 minutes around lunchtime today, put it in reverse, rolled back about 3 feet, then all hell broke loose. I got a ding, an engine light, a "drivetrain malfunction" iDrive message, the car switched to neutral, and started vibrating and making a shaky noise. I couldn't change to drive or reverse, so I finally got it in park and killed the engine. I waited a few seconds, restarted it, and it started normally and did fine. I was going to go straight to the dealer, but I called and couldn't get a loaner right away. I had to be back at work in 30 minutes, so I decided to hold off. I'm planning on taking it in tomorrow to see what they say.

The same exact thing happened on January 16th. They attributed it to low power steering fluid, reset the system, and topped it off. No idea if that's what's going on here or if that was a coincidental finding.

This is really getting frustrating. In the last month I've had to bring my car in 3 times with problems! I haven't gotten stranded or anything horrible, so I'm not too irate, but this is getting ridiculous...
My wife is having the same problem. My wife has a 2013 BMW 650i Gran Sport that has just turned 36,000 miles and is now out of factory warranty. On at least a half dozen occasions (before the expiration of the warranty) she complained to the service rep at the dealership that on several occasions her whole car would begin to vibrate. When she would turn the car off and then back on again, the vibrations would stop. In relating this information to the service representatives at the BMW dealership, she would be told that since they were unable to replicate the problem they couldn't diagnose its cause. About a month ago I was driving my wife's car at a steady 45mph when all of a sudden it felt like I was driving the car down a washboard. The car was shacking so bad I had to get off the road. This time a warning came up on the screen that read "Drivetrain malfunction: Drive moderately. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult service center." When I turned the car off and immediately restarted it, the problem was gone. Once again my wife took her car to the dealership. Since the car was now out of warranty they charged by wife $150.00 for a computer diagnosis which revealed a "coil problem on cyl#8". They said they replaced the coil on cyl #8 and charged my wife $523.00 for the repairs.

Last weekend we took a trip to Destin. Were driving west on interstate 10 with the cruise set at 79mph when all of a sudden the entire car began to vibrate violently, forcing me to immediately pull off the highway. Once again we got the warning "Drivetrain malfunction: Drive moderately. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult service center." When I restarted the car the problem appeared to be gone. But now I noticed that when going up an incline the car had a slight vibration that would increase or decrease with acceleration.

Once again my wife took her car to the dealership and explained the problem. Again they did a computer diagnosis of the problem. This time they said the problem was caused cylinders #3 and #6. At a cost of more than $1,200 the dealership suggested that she replace ALL of coils and ALL of the sparkplugs.

In doing research on this website, I learned that this problem with cylinders #3 and #6 misfiring is "inherent in the BMW 650i" particularly on "long trips". By searching this web site I have learned; 1.) This problem is inherent with 6 series BMW's. 2.) BMW is aware of the problem. 3.) BMW does not know how to fix the problem.

Last edited by Addleduit; 08-22-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #278
Addleduit
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Gran Sport

My wife has a 2013 BMW 650i Gran Sport that has just turned 36,000 miles and is now out of factory warranty. On at least a half dozen occassions (before the expiration of the warranty) she complained to the service rep at the dealership that on several occassions her whole car would begin to vibrate. When she would turn the car off and then back on again, the vibrations would stop. In relating this information to the service represenatives at the BMW dealership, she would be told that since they couldn't replicate the problem they couldn't diagnose its cause. About a month ago I was driving my wifes car at a steady 45mph when all of a sudden it felt like I was driving the car down a washboard. The car was shaking so bad I had to get off the road. This time a warning came up on the screen that read "Drivetrain malfunction: Drive moderatly. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult service center." When I turned the car off and immediately restarted it, the problem was gone. Once again my wife took her car to the dealership. Since the car was now out of warranty they charged by wife $150.00 for a computer diagnosis which (according to them)revealed a "coil problem on cyl#8". They said they replaced the coil on cyl #8 and charged my wife $523.00 for the repairs.

Last weekend we were driving on interstate 10 with the cruise set at 79mph when all of a sudden the car began to vibrate violently, forcing me to immediately pull off the highway and once again we got the warning "Drivetrain malfunction: Drive moderatly. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult service center." When I restarted the car the problem appeared to be gone. But now I noticed that when going up an incline the car had a slight vibration that would increase or decrease with acceleration.

Once again my wife took her car to the dealership and explained the problem. Again they did a computer diagnosis of the problem. This time they said the problem was caused by cylinders #3 and #6 misfiring and suggested that she replace ALL the sparkplugs and ALL of the coils. The quote they gave her for these "repairs" was in excess of $1,200.00. By searching this web site I have learned; 1.) This problem is inherent with 6 series BMW's. 2.) BMW is aware of the problem. 3.) BMW does not know how to fix the problem. 4.) After spending over $2,000 to fix the problem, it's still there.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #279
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addleduit View Post
My wife has a 2013 BMW 650i Gran Sport that has just turned 36,000 miles and is now out of factory warranty. On at least a half dozen occassions (before the expiration of the warranty) she complained to the service rep at the dealership that on several occassions her whole car would begin to vibrate. When she would turn the car off and then back on again, the vibrations would stop. In relating this information to the service represenatives at the BMW dealership, she would be told that since they couldn't replicate the problem they couldn't diagnose its cause. About a month ago I was driving my wifes car at a steady 45mph when all of a sudden it felt like I was driving the car down a washboard. The car was shaking so bad I had to get off the road. This time a warning came up on the screen that read "Drivetrain malfunction: Drive moderatly. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult service center." When I turned the car off and immediately restarted it, the problem was gone. Once again my wife took her car to the dealership. Since the car was now out of warranty they charged by wife $150.00 for a computer diagnosis which (according to them)revealed a "coil problem on cyl#8". They said they replaced the coil on cyl #8 and charged my wife $523.00 for the repairs.

Last weekend we were driving on interstate 10 with the cruise set at 79mph when all of a sudden the car began to vibrate violently, forcing me to immediately pull off the highway and once again we got the warning "Drivetrain malfunction: Drive moderatly. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult service center." When I restarted the car the problem appeared to be gone. But now I noticed that when going up an incline the car had a slight vibration that would increase or decrease with acceleration.

Once again my wife took her car to the dealership and explained the problem. Again they did a computer diagnosis of the problem. This time they said the problem was caused by cylinders #3 and #6 misfiring and suggested that she replace ALL the sparkplugs and ALL of the coils. The quote they gave her for these "repairs" was in excess of $1,200.00. By searching this web site I have learned; 1.) This problem is inherent with 6 series BMW's. 2.) BMW is aware of the problem. 3.) BMW does not know how to fix the problem. 4.) After spending over $2,000 to fix the problem, it's still there.
or spend the money to replace them all and enjoy the vehicle - I am probably going to jinx myself here, but after 65K on my car not a single coil has been replaced. Spark plugs replaced as part of ordinary service at 60K. Not an single instance of limp mode, including on long trips - of which I take many. Get the newest version of the coils in your car and give it a chance.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #280
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

seems to be a problem with the 650's.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #281
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime456 View Post
seems to be a problem with the 650's.
It's a problem with the N63 motor, which appeared in 6 series cars prior to 2013, and there seemed to be a cluster of this problem early in the 2013 builds, but it is an almost non-existent problem from 2014 on. Avoid the N63 motor like the plague - it is a POS, but the N63TU motor is a ultra-reliable beast so far!

This guy should replace his plugs and coils and give the car a chance. Whatever BMW did to update their coils seems to have eliminated the problem.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #282
araithat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 650i gran coupe m sport

Just to clarify,

When looking up my VIN, the engine is listed as N63T. Is this the n63, the n63TU, or something in between?? My car is a 2013 but was made in 2012...

So far I have been lucky to not have any of these issues thus far but the reports on this forum are making me think about getting rid of the vehicle right after my extended warranty lapses.

Someone please help me out with my confusion. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #283
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by araithat View Post
Just to clarify,

When looking up my VIN, the engine is listed as N63T. Is this the n63, the n63TU, or something in between?? My car is a 2013 but was made in 2012...

So far I have been lucky to not have any of these issues thus far but the reports on this forum are making me think about getting rid of the vehicle right after my extended warranty lapses.

Someone please help me out with my confusion. Thanks
it's a tu motor.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 10:44 PM   #284
araithat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 650i gran coupe m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate650 View Post
it's a tu motor.
Thanks. The service advisor wasn't too helpful, he said it was a model in between the two...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #285
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by araithat View Post
Thanks. The service advisor wasn't too helpful, he said it was a model in between the two...
I've never heard anyone say that there was an engine model in between the N63 and N63TU motors, and there is no documentation of such a thing ever existing. My guess is he is just making it up because he doesnt know anything. Some of these SA's are flat out idiots, and they get away with it most of the time because most BMW owners don't know any better.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #286
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate650 View Post
It's a problem with the N63 motor, which appeared in 6 series cars prior to 2013, and there seemed to be a cluster of this problem early in the 2013 builds, but it is an almost non-existent problem from 2014 on. Avoid the N63 motor like the plague - it is a POS, but the N63TU motor is a ultra-reliable beast so far!

This guy should replace his plugs and coils and give the car a chance. Whatever BMW did to update their coils seems to have eliminated the problem.
Sorry but I would not use the word ultra-reliable on a BMW 650 N63TU motor. Having had Lexus cars (and still do), there is no word left to describe Lexus engines then as far as their reliability. LOL.
Appreciate 0