BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      08-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Kirt121
United_States
Rep
Drives: 650xi GC

spare tire for f06?

So I've a '15 6er GC with the "run-flat" all-season tires.

After losing 2 tires this past month due to potholes and having to get towed to the nearest dealer. I've decided I want to carry a spare tire with me. I don't want a full sized tire with rim, I want one of those space saving donut tires. I see there are kits for lots of models but I don't see any for f06.

Any one know of any kits or any other solution?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
ShakeDaddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirt121 View Post

After losing 2 tires this past month due to potholes and having to get towed to the nearest dealer. I've decided I want to carry a spare tire with me. I don't want a full sized tire with rim, I want one of those space saving donut tires. I see there are kits for lots of models but I don't see any for f06.

When it comes to tires and spares, I guess we are on opposite sides of the spectrum. I ditched my RFT for high performance tires and intentionally do not carry a spare or can of fix a flat or repair kit.

A phone and AAA is all you need.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeDaddy View Post
When it comes to tires and spares, I guess we are on opposite sides of the spectrum. I ditched my RFT for high performance tires and intentionally do not carry a spare or can of fix a flat or repair kit.

+1. Call BMW or AAA to tow it away if you have trouble. No sense of carrying a spare tire around.

Also the newer BMW computers will go bananas if one of the tire is smaller than the rest, especially since you have xDrive. You would need a full size...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Kirt121
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sure, but what if you get a flat at night far from home? The two flats I've had were not reparable. I had to get a tow. Thankfully they were during the day and the BMW service center was open and I had them replaced within a few hours.

I asked the BMW roadside tow truck guy what's their policy during the night. He told me they'd tow the car to the dealership for service next day then they'd drive me to the nearest hotel. If you had a spare tire, you'd be back on the road within 10 minutes instead of calling your wife explaining why you'll be sleeping in a hotel that night instead of coming home.

Even during the day, the first flat tire took 5 hours of my time, from waiting for the tow truck to pulling out of the dealership with a new tire. The second time took 3.5 hours. Thankfully I didn't have any urgent plans during those days but what if you're getting late for a flight or a meeting?

All in all, IMO run-flats are an inferior alternative to an actual spare.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
ShakeDaddy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sure, but what if you get a flat at night far from home? The two flats I've had were not reparable. I had to get a tow.
Whether you get a flat or just a nail, all BMW dealers and major tire shops will not repair a RFT.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
BillCB
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i X Gran Coupe M Sport

Garage List
Not entirely true - if you get a slow leak (from a nail for example) but keep adding air so the sidewall doesn't collapse, the tire can be repaired. Only if you are forced to drive on a tire that is truly flat will you "crack" the sidewall so the tire cannot be reused.

I speak from recent experience with a roofing nail. I did NOT remove the nail when I noticed the tire was soft but put about 45 lbs pressure in the tire before driving to the dealer, adding air every 50 kms or so. (It was a 125 km trip.)

There was no evidence of sidewall damage because the tire pressure never got below about 20 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:

You have RFTs and still needed a tow? How big were those potholes?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 05:22 AM   #8
ShakeDaddy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
+1 Absolutely. Maybe even a sinkhole.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 06:51 AM   #9
363ny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Quote:
Sure, but what if you get a flat at night far from home? The two flats I've had were not reparable. I had to get a tow. Thankfully they were during the day and the BMW service center was open and I had them replaced within a few hours.

I asked the BMW roadside tow truck guy what's their policy during the night. He told me they'd tow the car to the dealership for service next day then they'd drive me to the nearest hotel. If you had a spare tire, you'd be back on the road within 10 minutes instead of calling your wife explaining why you'll be sleeping in a hotel that night instead of coming home.....
This is what happened to me, so I purchased the space saver from Bimmerzone: http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-F12-KIT.html

I had it mounted and drove about 15 miles on it to make sure it fit the GC and it was fine.

Besides waiting the overnight if you get the flat far from home after service hours and on a Sunday / Holiday, there is always the risk that the dealer doesn't have the tire in the stock.

IMHO for those in the northeast who do a lot of long distance driving rolling without a spare is not a very attractive option.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #10
363ny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Quote:
What it the maximum you can drive on the RFT? I believe it is 50 miles, although I have heard conflicting numbers that imply it is higher. So if the closest dealer is > 50 miles away a flat bed is going to be needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
GannyCy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 640i Gran Coupe

I like the space saver kit but $479 is quite pricey? Any less expensive alternatives?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 363ny View Post
What it the maximum you can drive on the RFT? I believe it is 50 miles, although I have heard conflicting numbers that imply it is higher. So if the closest dealer is > 50 miles away a flat bed is going to be needed.
I too heard 50 miles @ 50 mph.
HOWEVER, when my dealer couldn't get me an appointment for a few days and I said in that amount of time I'll put at least 150 miles on it they said " shouldn't be a problem. Keep it under 50 mph"
Well I easily did 180 miles and the only time under 50 was on the way up or down to 65. No problem!
Still love the idea, just hate the product!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #13
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Whether you get a flat or just a nail, all BMW dealers and major tire shops will not repair a RFT.
BMW will not repair RFT. Is it repairable? YES, as long as the nail doesn't hit the sidewalls. Who will repair it? Goodyear, FireStone... However, Discount Tire will repair tires for FREE. Learned that 4 weeks ago when they wouldn't take my money.

RFTs are terrible (heavy, expensive, and noisy). On the plus side, they do work as designed, allowing you to drive without air for 50-100 miles. Plus, the side walls are stiffer than conventionally tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #14
ShakeDaddy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
BMW will not repair RFT. Is it repairable? YES, as long as the nail doesn't hit the sidewalls. Who will repair it? Goodyear, FireStone... However, Discount Tire will repair tires for FREE. Learned that 4 weeks ago when they wouldn't take my money.

RFTs are terrible (heavy, expensive, and noisy). On the plus side, they do work as designed, allowing you to drive without air for 50-100 miles. Plus, the side walls are stiffer than conventionally tires.
Yes there are always exceptions and you were just lucky. I guess if you ask enough tire shops your bound to find one who will eventually say yes.

Before I dumped my RFT Discount Tire wouldn't fix my Run Flat that had a screw in the tread and wasn't even leaking air. Neither would Goodyear when I went to them. AND don't even ever ask a BMW dealer to repair a RFT!!: bellyroll
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #15
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Isn't that the same mileage with the spare?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #16
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

The reason most places will not fix run-flats is liability. The reality is, if you pick up a nail, screw, etc. (not on the shoulder) in a RFT, but it continues to hold air (just like a non-RFT), then it can be repaired like a non-RFT. That means a plug for regular tires and an inside patch for high performance tires. In this case, the RFT has not had to support the vehicle with its reinforced sidewall – so it remains intact.

The concern is, if a RFT loses significant pressure, and is rode on for any length of time with the sidewall as a support, the sidewall gets "used up" and becomes unreliable for another (low pressure) use, not to mention potentially distorted. This doesn't happen with regular tires, because if they don't have enough air to drive, you ain't going anywhere. And if you do, then a non-RFT sidewall gets completely crushed and unusable as well.

As far as usable mileage, my guess is 50 miles is a significant understatement again due to liability. We unfortunately live in a very litigious society, at least here in the USA.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #17
Kirt121
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is what happened to me, so I purchased the space saver from Bimmerzone: http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-F12-KIT.html

I had it mounted and drove about 15 miles on it to make sure it fit the GC and it was fine.

Besides waiting the overnight if you get the flat far from home after service hours and on a Sunday / Holiday, there is always the risk that the dealer doesn't have the tire in the stock.

IMHO for those in the northeast who do a lot of long distance driving rolling without a spare is not a very attractive option.

Thanks for this fantastic information. I looked for one specific for f06 but was unsuccessful. I thought about buying this one but was afraid it would be the wrong tire. I'll buy one of these now

Also, just had my 3rd flat tire! And this time it happened at night. Thankfully I was close enough to home that I could call for a ride. I tried driving a little on it but the car became borderline uncontrollable even at only 40 mph.

I love this car. but wow. Run flat tires are terrible and its irresponsible for bmw to make us rely on them.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #18
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this fantastic information. I looked for one specific for f06 but was unsuccessful. I thought about buying this one but was afraid it would be the wrong tire. I'll buy one of these now

Also, just had my 3rd flat tire! And this time it happened at night. Thankfully I was close enough to home that I could call for a ride. I tried driving a little on it but the car became borderline uncontrollable even at only 40 mph.

I love this car. but wow. Run flat tires are terrible and its irresponsible for bmw to make us rely on them.
I just ordered a set of Conti DWS all seasons. I'll let you know how they do
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #19
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Contis DWS are awesome tires. Side-walls are a bit softer compared to RFTs, but overall great tires.

I had them on my X5, performs much better on rain/ice/snow and it's so quiet.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #20
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
With the repair kit, the donut, or the phone/BMW roadside assist for just in case?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #21
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWnyc View Post
With the repair kit, the donut, or the phone/BMW roadside assist for just in case?
yea, woke up in the middle of the night and remembered that a fix a flat kit might be in order. Got the Conti one from Tirerack. Should be here tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #22
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Good idea.
Please keep us posted on the difference and how they hold up.
So tempted but my Road Hazard Ins. won't cover them.
Appreciate 0