BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
SAMLAMBO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 730Li

Hello, new 640i owner, need opinions

Hi everyone,
I traded in my 7 for the new 640i in alpine white which I take delivery next weekend!

I am still contemplating between the m kit and ac schtnitzer kit, please feel free to dish out your opinions here on which kit I should get. Also how about ecu upgrades, sport springs? What would you'll recommend?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
It's a matter of taste of course. I would go for the M-kit. It's relatively discrete, blends perfectly in with the general design, in the same time it gives the car a slightly more aggressive look.

If your car has got the adaptive chassis, that's all you need, unless you want to lower the car. If it has the standard chassis I would consider installing a sport suspension. To me it would depend of my driving scheme. If close to 100% urban traffic I would keep the confortable standard chassis. If you go for a spin outside city or even take longer journeys from time to time, I would seriously miss a sporty setup if I were you (unless you've already got the Adaptive Drive option).

The car is fast, but not brutally fast as the 650. Allthough acceleration figures are not that different. I guess the difference in torque is more important. Before you consider an ecu upgrade, get familiar with the car as it is.
I don't miss any extra power in my 640i, but that's just me!

Last edited by Superspeed; 05-26-2012 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
SAMLAMBO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeed View Post
It's a matter of taste of course. I would go for the M-kit. It's relatively discrete, blends perfectly in with the general design, in the same time it gives the car a slightly more agressive look.

If your car has got the adaptive chassis, that's all you need, unless you want to lower the car. If it has the standard chassis I would consider installing a sport suspension. To me it would depend of my driving scheme. If close to 100% urban traffic I would keep the confortable standard chassis. If you go for a spin outside city or even take longer journeys from time to time, I would seriously miss a sporty setup if I were you (unless you've already got the Adaptive Drive option).

The car is fast, but not brutally fast as the 650. Allthough acceleration figures are not that different. I guess the difference in torque is more important. Before you consider an ecu upgrade, get familiar with the car as it is.
Thanks. I am more inclined towards the AC Schtnizer kit as I still find the M kit a little soft for the money I will spending on it. How about the rims, has anyone gone 21"?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #4
WhyGeeGee
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC , 2016 X5M

I would also go for the AC schnitzer as it looks gorgeous on an Alpine white but I wouldn't buy the rims as I do find them to be boring and old but that's me but I do like the new 20" BMW perfprmance rims.

P.S
You have to go with the AC exhaust tips as it adds a more aggressive look.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
SAMLAMBO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeed View Post
It's a matter of taste of course. I would go for the M-kit. It's relatively discrete, blends perfectly in with the general design, in the same time it gives the car a slightly more aggressive look.

I have decided to go with the M kit, only thing I have to buy it from an after market dealer as BMW today told me that the factory will not supply the kit unless the car comes with the kit from the factory, only for the 6 series. The rims I can buy from them. the car does come with the Adaptive drive, however there are M shocks for the 6 which I might pick up.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMLAMBO View Post
I have decided to go with the M kit, only thing I have to buy it from an after market dealer as BMW today told me that the factory will not supply the kit unless the car comes with the kit from the factory, only for the 6 series. The rims I can buy from them. the car does come with the Adaptive drive, however there are M shocks for the 6 which I might pick up.
Great. You'll get a fantastic car!
      05-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Rob@StrasseWheels
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G80 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMLAMBO View Post
Thanks. I am more inclined towards the AC Schtnizer kit as I still find the M kit a little soft for the money I will spending on it. How about the rims, has anyone gone 21"?
We've done a set of our SM8 Step Lip Wheels in 21" on an F13!

@Strasse_Robert | (786)701-3649 | Robert@StrasseWheels.com | www.StrasseWheels.com
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Dan.K
Private
Rep
Drives: FormerE39,E46,E90,F12,F31owner

Hello,

Yes, I have gone with 21's and I have AC Schnitzer coils. The coils lowered the car about an inch which covered the gap between the wheel arch and the wheels very well. The ride is still very forgiving and I have yet to run out of travel. The car is still very forgiving in mid-corner bumps and with the 21" wheels, there is the same ground clearance as I had with the stock wheels (pretty obvious with an inch drop and a wheel diameter increase of 2"s). I have to agree the M-sport option is very nice bit it was not an option at the time I purchased my car.

If you would like a great set of 21" wheels without the crazy prices of AC Schnitzer, contact Rob at Strasse Forged. He is a great person and would customize wheels anyway you like.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
SAMLAMBO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.K View Post
Hello,

Yes, I have gone with 21's and I have AC Schnitzer coils. The coils lowered the car about an inch which covered the gap between the wheel arch and the wheels very well. The ride is still very forgiving and I have yet to run out of travel. The car is still very forgiving in mid-corner bumps and with the 21" wheels, there is the same ground clearance as I had with the stock wheels (pretty obvious with an inch drop and a wheel diameter increase of 2"s). I have to agree the M-sport option is very nice bit it was not an option at the time I purchased my car.

If you would like a great set of 21" wheels without the crazy prices of AC Schnitzer, contact Rob at Strasse Forged. He is a great person and would customize wheels anyway you like.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Dan
Hi Dan,
thanks for your email. It would be nice if you could post some photos of you car here from different angles. I am breaking my head over 20" or 21".
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
SAMLAMBO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@StrasseForged View Post
We've done a set of our SM8 Step Lip Wheels in 21" on an F13!
Hi Rob,
Some pics would really help or a link to it. thank you.
Appreciate 0