BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
To Dinan Tune or Not

Okay, let me be very clear as to what I'm thinking about.

First, the facts.....

First of all, my M6 is a lease. So, I'm not going to do anything that doesn't cover my car (warranty-wise). Also, cost is not a factor. I understand that Dinan is overpriced in the minds of many. I don't necessarily agree, but that's not really the question here.

My question is.....should I Dinan tune my M6?

My previous (F10) 550i was tuned with the stage 3 software and it was unbelievable. A torque beast.

However, the M6 already has traction issues. We all know this.

So, back to the original question. Should I even bother with the Dinan tune?

If someone can convince me that the power will get to the ground, I'm sold. I'm a Dinan fanboy, so I believe in their quality. But, I'm also realistic with my car. It's already at 560 hp and I (we all) can break our cars loose in at least the first 3-4 gears.

So, the question isn't which tune should I get....it's should I even bother at all?
Will I truly feel the difference?

If I will feel the difference, I'll start with the Stage 1 package, but most likely jump to the Stage 2 and Intake very quickly. I say this, because for all I know, Stage 1 will be plenty for me.

Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 12:28 AM   #2
shahin
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M5 FE,15 M6 GC, 12 M5,06 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post

First, the facts.....

First of all, my M6 is a lease. So, I'm not going to do anything that doesn't cover my car (warranty-wise). Also, cost is not a factor. I understand that Dinan is overpriced in the minds of many. I don't necessarily agree, but that's not really the question here.

My previous (F10) 550i was tuned with the stage 3 software and it was unbelievable. A torque beast.

If someone can convince me that the power will get to the ground, I'm sold. I'm a Dinan fanboy, so I believe in their quality. But, I'm also realistic with my car. It's already at 560 hp and I (we all) can break our cars loose in at least the first 3-4 gears.

So, the question isn't which tune should I get....it's should I even bother at all?

If I will feel the difference, I'll start with the Stage 1 package, but most likely jump to the Stage 2 and Intake very quickly. I say this, because for all I know, Stage 1 will be plenty for me.

Thanks for the input.
I have the M6 GC competition package 575, quickly got bored and needed more power. Put Dinan Stage 1, felt the difference. Car accelerates effortlessly in all comfort settings. Got Bored again, Got stage 2 with MSR intakes and Ams chatted high flow DP.
If the weather is warm and you upgrade your wheels to 11 or 12 inches with 305-325 tires you will enjoy first and second gear.
If you stay with stock wheels and tires, from 3rd gear and above you can enjoy car with everything set to max and traction fully off.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
docapl
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 (June Welt delivery)

Interesting question and am considering the same for my incoming M6. What happens to the Dinan stuff at the end of the lease? Can it be removed easily and sold to someone else? Is it VIN coded?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Just noticed they offer stage 1 and exhaust for the Alpina as well. Wish you could residualize it over the lease.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by docapl View Post
Interesting question and am considering the same for my incoming M6. What happens to the Dinan stuff at the end of the lease? Can it be removed easily and sold to someone else? Is it VIN coded?
Yes the harness and module can be removed and sold to another V8 engine application. The module would have to sent into Dinan to be (erased) and then returned as a blank module to be reprogramed.
The module is the only part VIN coded
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post

First, the facts.....

Thanks for the input.

Stage 1 is a great upgrade from stock.
Many of my clients are happy with stage 1 alone.
The power is very noticeable thru all driving phases. The transmission shifts correctly and never hesitates.
Comfort and sport modes work accordingly and in sport + you will have all the driving enjoyment you would expect.
Faster acceleration, precise shift points and smooth power thru all the RPM ranges.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
docapl
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 (June Welt delivery)

That's great. Does Dinan perform this service as a courtesy to the original purchaser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
Yes the harness and module can be removed and sold to another V8 engine application. The module would have to sent into Dinan to be (erased) and then returned as a blank module to be reprogramed.
The module is the only part VIN coded
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by docapl View Post
That's great. Does Dinan perform this service as a courtesy to the original purchaser?
I do not know if there would be a charge for this service. Would have to contact Dinan directly.
I can not perform this myself, as I had to send out a clients module to get re-flashed blank.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 06:50 AM   #9
LI M6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
Stage 1 is a great upgrade from stock.
Many of my clients are happy with stage 1 alone.
The power is very noticeable thru all driving phases. The transmission shifts correctly and never hesitates.
Comfort and sport modes work accordingly and in sport + you will have all the driving enjoyment you would expect.
Faster acceleration, precise shift points and smooth power thru all the RPM ranges.

I would agree although after my install, I felt the biggest improvement around 3500 RPM's and above.
Appreciate 1