BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-10-2023, 10:46 AM   #1
MoFoHo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [7.00]
Dash cam wiring woes

Hi all. I'm considering fitting a hard wired dashcam, and looking at my options.

As many folks knowledgeable about dash cams may already know, to enable 'parked mode' on some of the more feature laden cams typically requires a tap from 2 of the fuses (one giving 'accessory power', the other supplying 'battery [always on] power'). Either that or using an OBD adaptor, which kinda scares me...

The front fuse box of my 640d kinda scares me too. It's almost impossible to get to, and I'd be so scared of dropping a fuse into the void.
That leaves the rear (trunk/boot) compartment fuse box. Not as bad, but....
How the HELL do you run any wires from the car interior into the rear luggage compartment? I cannot see any way whatsoever that a small wire loom can be passed through. It's as if the car is actually too well made, and that there's no allowance whatsoever to get a wire through to the back. Has anybody managed this feat? My back seats don't fold down (grrrrr) and I cannot find a way through.

For the dash cam I'm considering a Blackview DR750X-2CH or DR770X-2CH BTW. I believe it has a built in voltage cut-off and parking mode timer. I hardly ever park the car for more than a few hours when away from home. Other than that, it's sitting in my garage on its battery tender. Would one of the OBD power supply plugs be a simple solution? Does anybody else have a Blackview dash cam in their 6 series?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 07:31 PM   #2
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

I have dual front and rear Thinkware U1000 cams. Professionally installed with the wires running down the inside floor trim.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 10:37 PM   #3
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2

You may enjoy this website. “Vortex” is the guru for radar detectors and gives solid, honest reviews of several dashcams. More to the point for you, he provides detailed tutorials on hardwiring to your fusebox (is for RD but dashcam follows same principles):
VortexRadar.com - HOW TO HARDWIRE a radar detector

I try to secure the void when working with small things… tape some paper horizontally below and deep to the fuse panel if heading for the glovebox option.

This 16Nov2021 post has good images by Qsilver7 of that fusebox:
Trying to locate fuse box
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 06:02 AM   #4
Oris4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35i

I have front and rear cams I installed myself. Like you I also wanted parking cam. I mounted front cam ran wires to front fuse box, mounted rear cam and ran wires along passenger side where headliner meets trim. Very clean install and all options/features have worked for years without issue
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 08:01 AM   #5
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oris4 View Post
I have front and rear cams I installed myself. Like you I also wanted parking cam. I mounted front cam ran wires to front fuse box, mounted rear cam and ran wires along passenger side where headliner meets trim. Very clean install and all options/features have worked for years without issue
Where does one mount a rear cam? And as few have, two side cams?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 03:27 AM   #6
MoFoHo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [7.00]
Quote:
The front fuse box looks almost impossible to reach, how on earth did you manage this feat?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 06:09 AM   #7
Oris4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinLowSD View Post
Where does one mount a rear cam? And as few have, two side cams?
Rear cam is mounted at top of rear window in the center. No idea about side cams
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 06:10 AM   #8
Oris4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFoHo View Post
The front fuse box looks almost impossible to reach, how on earth did you manage this feat?
Take the under panel off and it will give you much more access. It’s super easy and from there you can run wires to front cam up passenger side pillar just make sure not to obstruct airbags
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 11:11 AM   #9
MoFoHo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [7.00]
Quote:
Take the under panel off and it will give you much more access. It’s super easy and from there you can run wires to front cam up passenger side pillar just make sure not to obstruct airbags
Many thanks, I'll take another look. May I ask, what fuses did you use? Did you use those fuse splitter devices?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 12:32 PM   #10
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Front camera mount and rear camera mount. Rear sunshade goes up and down without hitting camera.

L

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 01:02 PM   #11
e38740imd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i

ima leave this here

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 04:07 PM   #12
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFoHo View Post
My hands couldn't possibly get in there so I took out the glove box to reach the fuses. Good excuse while I was "near" there when changing the cabin filers.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 09:54 PM   #13
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same as when you’re changing the cabin filters?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 10:12 PM   #14
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftpost View Post
Front camera mount and rear camera mount. Rear sunshade goes up and down without hitting camera.

L
Luftpost thank you for the photos. I recently picked up the A139 Pro front and rear, but haven’t installed it yet. Glad to hear it clears the rear sunscreen.

After watching not one but two significant accidents in my rearview mirror in the past 10 days (one with a >360degree spin out on a moderately busy freeway), I’m looking forward to getting this task done. Will be picking up another for the kiddo’s car. Any installation tips appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 11:40 PM   #15
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep

@OP Took the time to google around, and these are the guides I myself will be following, though I will have to verify which specific accessory fuse to use in MY car. For this information, I will also use Google or newTIS if no answer pops up here.

BEST YT for wiring to trunk/boot: “NO FAULT CODES - How to Install and Hardwire a Dashcam in a Modern Car”
from the discussion VIDEO GUIDE Installing and Hardwiring a Dashcam NO BATTERY WARNINGS OR CUTOFF
also,
How to Hardwire a Dashcam to BMW FRONT fusebox

additional informative BIMMERPOST discussions:
Dashcam with parking feature INSTALL

Install for Valentine1 (using OBDII port, with lots of discussion)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 07:21 AM   #16
Oris4
Private
Rep

Yes, just like changing cabin air filter. Remove panel and you should be able to reach up and access the fuse panel. I used the small trap door in the glovebox ad a window to see where my hand was from down below and to access the correct fuse.

I forget which fuse I tapped into but I will reply later today with the fuse. I can tell you that another member told me which fuse and I’m very grateful because everything works including parking mode with no power draw!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 05:40 AM   #17
MoFoHo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [7.00]
Quote:
Yes, just like changing cabin air filter. Remove panel and you should be able to reach up and access the fuse panel. I used the small trap door in the glovebox ad a window to see where my hand was from down below and to access the correct fuse.

I forget which fuse I tapped into but I will reply later today with the fuse. I can tell you that another member told me which fuse and I’m very grateful because everything works including parking mode with no power draw!
Many thanks. After looking into it, I'm leaning towards the Viofo A39 pro. The reviews are really good, and the app doesn't seem to let the side down (unlike the Blackview). The Viofo can be ordered with a hardwire kit, complete with fuse taps!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 05:45 AM   #18
MoFoHo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M6  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftpost View Post

L

Many thanks. I'm tempted by this particular unit. All the YouTube videos show that the Viofo cam talks as its changing settings, starting recording etc. Can all these voice notifications be turned off?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 06:38 AM   #19
Luftpost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 650 GC, E39’s, X70, X1

Yes, it can all be silenced through the app. I will say at times, the App can be a bit buggy, but I really don't use it unless I want to review something. Perhaps they have an update, I have not checked.

As far is install, the biggest tip that I have is to use the Sticker Shield. I have a protective film on my windshield to keep the inside of the car cooler and to protect the dash from harmful UV rays. To avoid damaging this film, I utilize a rectangular patch of the Sticker Shield. If you look closely at my photos, you can see it. It is held on by static cling, and has never failed. I also use it for my State Inspection sticker. People may also utlize it for Toll Tag devices, radar detectors, etc., anything that you would normally "stick" to the windshield with double sided tape. The item can be easily removed and re-attached with this install method.

I ran my cables along the pillars for the front camera and via the lower door sills and up the rear pillar for the rear camera. It is a very clean and professional looking installation. I did NOT tap into a fuse, but rather used the cigarette lighter outlet under the dash on the passenger side. Since it receives power in this way, I do not have the parking monitoring.

This system has been installed for several years and has had no issues. Photo below shows what comes in the box. Also a photo a milli second before I bent two left rims. State of Florida is picking up the tab. The video quality is quite impressive. This screen shot photo is not the best example of the capabilities of this camera.

More links: Post 47 on.

Here too.

Last edited by Luftpost; 10-14-2023 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Added image from camera.
Appreciate 1