BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

From 1 to 7 Series: BMW Group's Klaus Fröhlich on the Automaker's Future

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Quote:
Klaus Fröhlich represents continuity in BMW engineering. Made board member last year, he was previously in charge of development of all cars up to the 5 Series in size. So what are his priorities now that he has the big chair in engineering?

"It's no news for me," he says. "I was part of the game in the next-generation of RWD cars, too. I think you must squeeze out a specific character from each car. Look at the 3 Series Gran Tourer and the M235i. They come from the same rolling chassis, but they feel like cars from a different planet. We're good at that. 'Modularity' sounds like engineering language, but we must emotionalize it."

He says BMW and Mini are working toward just two architectures, or "clusters," between them. Both have the facility for 2WD or AWD. One is transverse-engine, mainly FWD, and the other longitudinal, mainly RWD. "The front-wheel drive one is from the X1 down to the Mini," he says. "Those cars need different axle positions, bulkhead heights, hip points. Then we have the RWD cluster from the 7 Series down to the 1 Series. The powertrain is always in the same position — the position of the flywheel. But you can change the width, wheelbase, rear-axle type — a luxury one for the 7 Series and one that's more space-efficient for the 3 Series Touring."

There is a new 7 Series this year. Does it represent a wholesale renewal for that RWD cluster? "Yes, it's the first derivative," he says. "It will be seen in the future 5 Series, 3 Series, etc. The body can be very specific. The 7 Series uses carbon fiber, magnesium, die-cast aluminum, and hot-formed steel. Some axle parts are common among series, but the body will change materials." They can't afford to give the big sellers such exotic materials.

Will the next 1 Series hatchback be built off the front-drive or rear-drive architecture? All its rivals are now FWD, after all. "If rear drive, we would lose advantages of luggage space," he says. "But if one sort of customer wants space, he can get the [FWD minivan-esque] 2 Series Active Tourer. The 1 Series is about conquest sales, so it has to be a true BMW. We don't have to decide until the end of this year." This new RWD cluster has been designed for BMW's alternative powertrains, including the Power eDrive system previewed last year. It's important that the factories can do this easily — to react to changing demand — when the volume growth of electrified vehicles is so unpredictable. "In the U.S. we have a mandatory roadmap," he says. "In Europe it will be very slow because there's limited regulatory support. In other regions it could change dramatically. For example, if you need a PHEV to get a license plate in China."

Does he see BMW's gasoline-car customers subsidizing uneconomic EVs? "We have to make them cost-effective by engineering, but we also have to make them emotional," he says. "They have to have performance. An i3 has 170-hp like a Mini Cooper S. Our first PHEV was the i8."

Fröhlich has been involved from the beginning with BMW's cooperation with Toyota, which covers fuel cells, among other things. How's it going? "I'd say [mass-market] fuel cells are beyond 2025. Every three to five years you get a new generation, and we need two more generations, both for lowered cost and for power density and cold-weather [robustness]."

But enthusiasts want to know about the BMW-Toyota sports car cooperation. "I know what I want: a really sharp, sporty Z4 successor," he says. "I want to make this happen. And I know the elements it must use." Sound like he wants BMW elements, but he won't say yet.
http://blogs.motortrend.com/1506_int...bmw_group.html
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Nice insight into BMW AG.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

I started the same topic earlier today
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #4
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

"The 7 Series uses carbon fiber, magnesium, die-cast aluminum, and hot-formed steel. Some axle parts are common among series, but the body will change materials." They can't afford to give the big sellers such exotic materials."

So no carbon core 3 series? I thought that was the whole point of the SGL investment. Just a bunch of press-release dick waving?

Booooooo. At least it sounds like he has a soft spot for a new Z
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
mybmw4
Power User
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive GC

No 4 series?????

2015 BMW 435i xDrive GC | Premium | Executive | ConnectedDrive | M Sport | M Performance
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
Cini
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

Nothing about a supercar in 2016 for 100th year? Im still hoping That
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Sounds like an insightful speech about the BMW future. There is one thing which has to count for every BMW. It *must* be the best in every segment. And I'm serious about every segment, it must give the feeling of being superior. It is not enough when the 3 series and 5 series are better than the competitors. They aren't allowed to spare any real faults, then people who cross-shop a Mercedes E and BMW 5 would mostly pick the 5 series. And what isn't acceptable is when the competitor cars are better than the BMW variant. Right now BMW is mostly above Audi and Mercedes. If all larger BMWs share the same platform, then they will have the same pros and cons, so make the platform perfect: Sharp sporty, but adjustable to be comfortable too.

And another point is the sporty attitude towards the Z4. I see that Fröhlich is enthusiastic about a sharp Z4. But how would something like that be obtained? BMW engines and steering haven't improved largely since at least 7-10 years. To be fair, the engines and transmissions are actually pretty good, the real issue is probably the suspension and steering. I don't know how much BMW gives as funds for engine innovation and drivetrain innovation. I would love to see a properly weighted, quick and lively EPS rack. And that is probably possible with enough funding, and Porsche is, I guess, also pretty good at making good EPS systems. The air suspension previously shown in the G11 seems like it will trickle down to at least the 5 series. But it should be tuned perfectly before being released and should be bundled with 4 wheel steer and rear axle torque vectoring, both technologies already existent in BMWs, and also must be perfected. Perfection and precision is really what sets apart BMWs from Audi and MB, but BMW still has some room to grow.

In conclusion, I hope BMW invests in inventing and perfecting chassis technologies which will give the BMW the huge upper lead, just like BMWs lead during the 2000s.
Let's see about the BMW future, I hope it will be successful.

Last edited by FilipMPower; 06-23-2015 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #8
Zadjali
Second Lieutenant
Oman
Rep
Drives: 2007 Crimson E92

3 Series Gran Tourer ... Please tell me its a typing mistake!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Still nothing meaningful on the Toyota partnership...
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

I can tell you that BMW is out there investing in new upcoming chassis tech.... not sure when technology being developed today will actually show up on the road but there is some very interesting technology in the pipeline.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #11
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

There is hope yet...

Did anyone else catch the part where he said RWD is still being considered for the 1 series replacement? All I can say is is please, please keep something for enthusiasts to get into the brand like today's M135 and M235 twins.

Let's hope they get the styling to match the dynamics too. I recently had an intresting talk with a BMW high up veteran and there seems to be a real debate in the organization on the future of the product direction.

I am all for the connected drive and Eco direction but BMW must not lose it its core DNA.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
"The 7 Series uses carbon fiber, magnesium, die-cast aluminum, and hot-formed steel. Some axle parts are common among series, but the body will change materials." They can't afford to give the big sellers such exotic materials."

So no carbon core 3 series? I thought that was the whole point of the SGL investment. Just a bunch of press-release dick waving?

Booooooo. At least it sounds like he has a soft spot for a new Z
The translation came off wrong. He was talking about the competition.
      06-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #13
Tommy_hf
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F36 CQ M, Z4 E85 3.0iS MSL SC

I hope the soft spot for the Z4 is a soft top!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #14
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cini View Post
they will keep that a secret
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #15
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

My biggest fear is that platform-sharing between the 3 and 7 will make the 3 bigger and heavier vs a dedicated platform. Infiniti and Lexus haven't really shown good results with platform sharing on their smaller cars, which always seem to be a couple hundred pounds heavier than the competition.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #16
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
No we do not need a Supercar we have the i8 and what we will show will be an progression of the i8. We will have progressive M cars but we can do much,much more with the current cars instead of investing with something else that is not needed for image or anything else.

So far the halo cars and halo as in the perception of the product that shows class leading innovation, manufacturing and creative thinking are the BMW i3 and i8 as our competitors are nowhere near similar application.

Focus is on the next BMWi car due around 2020 which will be a four door concept but also we have revived the RFK Concept to evaluate as a crossover type vehicle to seat 4-7 passengers which is a bit like the i3 but longer and lower utilising a fuel cell. If Vision EfficientDynamics #1 was the sportier side of the future then Vision EfficientDynamics # 2 is about the practical side.
      06-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #17
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
"The 1 Series is about conquest sales, so it has to be a true BMW"

The part in bold is the kicker here, and it really gives insight into what the brand is all about now. Just think about it for a second.

I mean, shouldn't every BMW be a true BMW?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #18
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
"The 1 Series is about conquest sales, so it has to be a true BMW"

The part in bold is the kicker here, and it really gives insight into what the brand is all about now. Just think about it for a second.

I mean, shouldn't every BMW be a true BMW?
Yep. Some models are there for 'conquest sales', and others are just there for no reason other than income. It didn't used to be that way with BMW.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #19
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
No we do not need a Supercar we have the i8 and what we will show will be an progression of the i8. We will have progressive M cars but we can do much,much more with the current cars instead of investing with something else that is not needed for image or anything else.

So far the halo cars and halo as in the perception of the product that shows class leading innovation, manufacturing and creative thinking are the BMW i3 and i8 as our competitors are nowhere near similar application.

Focus is on the next BMWi car due around 2020 which will be a four door concept but also we have revived the RFK Concept to evaluate as a crossover type vehicle to seat 4-7 passengers which is a bit like the i3 but longer and lower utilising a fuel cell. If Vision EfficientDynamics #1 was the sportier side of the future then Vision EfficientDynamics # 2 is about the practical side.
Enough with the i being the halo cars. The reality is that it is a cover for not chasing the competition now that they have established halo sports cars in already crowded market.

I love the i8. It is a vision of the future but is it pulse rising drive that defines BMW in enthusiats eyes? I would say no and wager traditionalists would agree. The i vision will most likely resonate and make sense for the new and the next generation of drivers but for us who grew up in the 60s-90s it will be something admired but not lusted after.

At this point, I welcome a more focused M and perhaps even a Z range that gives us those pure experiences like the E60 M5 and M coupe did in the past.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #20
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:

going to vomit
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 08:12 PM   #21
F85FTW
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

While I agree the i8 is cutting edge and ahead of competitors in one area they are falling behind in others. Audi has had the R8 out and the new one with DCT is a great car. AMG hit a home run with the new GTS that seems to be getting high praise universally as a great sports car. Why cant BMW strap up and deliver a KO to competitors where it matters most Halo Sports car.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #22
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
going to vomit