BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #23
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack G. View Post
You say they won't fit, but those Magnaflow tips are the ones that I have on now.
I figured that when I looked at them and there may be where the problem lies, he had to either open them up on the machine or he welded in a reducer and that's why they are that far out. They were not meant for your car but you can always make something fit. Bottom line is you now have a 2.5" inlet tip on a 3" exhaust pipe and that is restriction no matter how you slice it. More back pressure, hotter temps, all bad for the cats and turbos.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #24
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
I figured that when I looked at them and there may be where the problem lies, he had to either open them up on the machine or he welded in a reducer and that's why they are that far out. They were not meant for your car but you can always make something fit. Bottom line is you now have a 2.5" inlet tip on a 3" exhaust pipe and that is restriction no matter how you slice it. More back pressure, hotter temps, all bad for the cats and turbos.
Hmm that doesn't sound like a great long term situation. I'd say really go ahead and put it back stock if you cannot find tips to do it the right way. Otherwise you risk maybe who knows a warranty claim later just for looks/aesthetics? If you want quad tips then I will say what a few others have alluded to...get a proper exhaust for the car. Its a $100k plus vehicle so really a $2500 exhaust is a drop in the bucket. If you want to get better sound then BMW does also offer a Performance Muffler set for the 650xi also. Go check on www.getbmwparts.com website and check them out. I personally would do that versus trying to have an exhaust shop make a workaround fit on a set. Just my opinion.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 02:26 AM   #25
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Hmm that doesn't sound like a great long term situation. I'd say really go ahead and put it back stock if you cannot find tips to do it the right way. Otherwise you risk maybe who knows a warranty claim later just for looks/aesthetics? If you want quad tips then I will say what a few others have alluded to...get a proper exhaust for the car. Its a $100k plus vehicle so really a $2500 exhaust is a drop in the bucket. If you want to get better sound then BMW does also offer a Performance Muffler set for the 650xi also. Go check on www.getbmwparts.com website and check them out. I personally would do that versus trying to have an exhaust shop make a workaround fit on a set. Just my opinion.
The OP just needs a new set of tips and maybe a different muffler shop, I only say that cause they should have seen how it looked and not let him leave the shop like that in a $100k car. I picked up a set of stainless steel 3" inlet tips on ebay for $100 for the pair, they look as nice or nicer than the tips that come on those $2500 exhausts. They're dual walled, angle cut, and staggered. I had a reputable muffler shop delete my mufflers and valves, they left on the stock resonators, and plugged up the flapper valve vacuum lines. I couldn't be more happy with the sound of the car, it sounds and performs like a twin turbo V8 should! Don't forget, turbos don't like mufflers! r:
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #26
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 650i MSport CP

Do the 2.5" tips really make that big of a difference? We are talking about 0.5" difference here.

I really don't want to cause any issues especially to the turbos, but it doesn't seem like 0.5" would, but I don't know nearly enough on this subject like some of you do.

To be quite honest, when I came to pickup my car...I was really dissatisfied with how the setup looked. But my one stop shop stressed that it was the best fit since the EVC was kept. This is the first time that I have been dissatisfied with my one stop shop that has done everything else on the car. They aren't the ones who actually did this job, they brought it to a muffler shop because they don't do any welding or exhaust work on site so they outsource.

When I came to pickup my car, I also noticed that they didn't put my stock tips in the box with my stock diffuser. I asked them where the tips were and they said, "Oh they aren't in there?". I said no...so I had to go back to the muffler shop that they took my car to, to get my tips back which was kind of annoying. But I think it turned out well since I spoke to the welder and he told me that his shop was the 2nd shop that my shop toook the car to because the 1st muffler place my shop took the car to didn't want to do it (my shop must have told him that), so he told me candidly. My shop didn't mention that to me. Idk if they should have or not? But I guess it doesn't matter.

He told me that it was very hard to do the setup since it was a tight fit in there to get the OEM tips off and that it would be a royal PITA to get them back on. He said he charges 1 1/2 hrs of labor. My shop charged me for 2 hrs but I guess they needed to make a small profit on that.

Do I regret doing this setup? I think so. I thought it was a good idea at the time to get that Quad exhaust look without changing the mufflers. It looked great on ONEighty's black 650 GC here so I thought I would give it a try as well: http://www.6post.com/forums/showthre...t%3B+magnaflow

But then I think about...is my shop and the muffler shop they brought my car to really to blame? They didn't supply those tips...I did.

My dilemma now is, do I go back to my shop for them to put it back to stock (diffuser and tips), or do I go back to the muffler shop direct and have him weld back the OEM tips so I don't have to go back to my shop to pay them extra to get the same job done? And then I could go to another shop to get my diffuser put back on?

Hopefully you guys can help me figure this out with pointing me to the right tips or how to go about going back to stock. Getting a full exhaust wasn't and isn't an option right now. I don't need better sound, the MSport mufflers are good enough. I know this is a 100k car so $2,500 may not seem like a big amount for an exhaust but I honestly just don't want to spend that money for it. I'm not cheap, I just don't think I need/want an aftermarket exhaust with added noise and drone. For me its not necessary honestly.

This really turned out to be more of a pain instead of enjoyment.

Last edited by Zack G.; 10-09-2014 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #27
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do the 2.5" tips really make that big of a difference? We are talking about 0.5" difference here.

I really don't want to cause any issues especially to the turbos, but it doesn't seem like 0.5" would, but I don't know nearly enough on this subject like some of you do.

To be quite honest, when I came to pickup my car...I was really dissatisfied with how the setup looked. But my one stop shop stressed that it was the best fit since the EVC was kept. This is the first time that I have been dissatisfied with my one stop shop that has done everything else on the car. They aren't the ones who actually did this job, they brought it to a muffler shop because they don't do any welding or exhaust work on site so they outsource.

When I came to pickup my car, I also noticed that they didn't put my stock tips in the box with my stock diffuser. I asked them where the tips were and they said, "Oh they aren't in there?". I said no...so I had to go back to the muffler shop that they took my car to, to get my tips back which was kind of annoying. But I think it turned out well since I spoke to the welder and he told me that his shop was the 2nd shop that my shop toook the car to because the 1st muffler place my shop took the car to didn't want to do it (my shop must have told him that), so he told me candidly. My shop didn't mention that to me. Idk if they should have or not? But I guess it doesn't matter.

He told me that it was very hard to do the setup since it was a tight fit in there to get the OEM tips off and that it would be a royal PITA to get them back on. He said he charges 1 1/2 hrs of labor. My shop charged me for 2 hrs but I guess they needed to make a small profit on that.

Do I regret doing this setup? I think so. I thought it was a good idea at the time to get that Quad exhaust look without changing the mufflers. It looked great on ONEighty's black 650 GC here so I thought I would give it a try as well: http://www.6post.com/forums/showthre...t%3B+magnaflow

But then I think about...is my shop and the muffler shop they brought my car to really to blame? They didn't supply those tips...I did.

My dilemma now is, do I go back to my shop for them to put it back to stock (diffuser and tips), or do I go back to the muffler shop direct and have him weld back the OEM tips so I don't have to go back to my shop to pay them extra to get the same job done? And then I could go to another shop to get my diffuser put back on?

Hopefully you guys can help me figure this out with pointing me to the right tips or how to go about going back to stock. Getting a full exhaust wasn't and isn't an option right now. I don't need better sound, the MSport mufflers are good enough. I know this is a 100k car so $2,500 may not seem like a big amount for an exhaust but I honestly just don't want to spend that money for it. I'm not cheap, I just don't think I need/want an aftermarket exhaust with added noise and drone. For me its not necessary honestly.

This really turned out to be more of a pain instead of enjoyment.
That really sucks Zack.. I feel your pain as I have had more than my share of disappointments from performance shops. A good one really is hard to find. In this business loyalty and all that BS don't matter, all that matters is you, your car, and your money! Go straight to the muffler shop and avoid the extra 1/2 hour charge. They did charge that I'm sure because they took the car there and back. Although i hear what you're saying about the tips you supplied it's the muffler shops name on the work, they should have more pride in what they do and if that was my muffler shop I would have put the stocks back on after test fitting the new tips, they don't weld them in until they align them and hold them in place so they knew how it looked before they welded. Anyway I hope you find a solution or just go back to stock. Either way enjoy that awesome car!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #28
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That really sucks Zack.. I feel your pain as I have had more than my share of disappointments from performance shops. A good one really is hard to find. In this business loyalty and all that BS don't matter, all that matters is you, your car, and your money! Go straight to the muffler shop and avoid the extra 1/2 hour charge. They did charge that I'm sure because they took the car there and back. Although i hear what you're saying about the tips you supplied it's the muffler shops name on the work, they should have more pride in what they do and if that was my muffler shop I would have put the stocks back on after test fitting the new tips, they don't weld them in until they align them and hold them in place so they knew how it looked before they welded. Anyway I hope you find a solution or just go back to stock. Either way enjoy that awesome car!
Thanks man...I will try! Its trial and error I guess, you live and you learn right? lol

In the meantime I will just have to roll with these until I come back down to South FL where my OEM stuff is. I may just have them touched up as I originally said in black paint first to see in the meantime.

Do you think a Megan race exhaust that I've seen on here for ~$500 be better? I think I would consider that if there is no drone inside (that's what I am worried about most), and I would powder coat is gloss black since it only comes in SS. Would it throw any error codes on the dash?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #29
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man...I will try! Its trial and error I guess, you live and you learn right? lol

In the meantime I will just have to roll with these until I come back down to South FL where my OEM stuff is. I may just have them touched up as I originally said in black paint first to see in the meantime.

Do you think a Megan race exhaust that I've seen on here for ~$500 be better? I think I would consider that if there is no drone inside (that's what I am worried about most), and I would powder coat is gloss black since it only comes in SS. Would it throw any error codes on the dash?
It wont throw any codes, you and someone else have been asking about it on this site. You will have to just plug the vacuum lines that would go into the flapper valves. It's called a golf-tee mod if you look it up on google. I'm sure it will have some drone but a lot less than my muffler delete.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #30
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It wont throw any codes, you and someone else have been asking about it on this site. You will have to just plug the vacuum lines that would go into the flapper valves. It's called a golf-tee mod if you look it up on google. I'm sure it will have some drone but a lot less than my muffler delete.
I am being told that a Megan exhaust will not fit the Msport models because the piping is different? Its strange since the 650 they have the exhaust on, it looks like its an Msport. I'm confused.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 02:26 AM   #31
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am being told that a Megan exhaust will not fit the Msport models because the piping is different? Its strange since the 650 they have the exhaust on, it looks like its an Msport. I'm confused.
A half decent muffler shop could cut off the pipe and just put on a new one if that's the case.. Essentially it is 2 Megan Racing sourced mufflers with dual tips.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #32
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A half decent muffler shop could cut off the pipe and just put on a new one if that's the case.. Essentially it is 2 Megan Racing sourced mufflers with dual tips.
That's what I figured. Looks like Redline 360 has the best price anywhere on them for $657 shipped. I am going to consider this. But if I got the Megan I would probably have to put my MSport diffuser back on for it to look good. And I think I would need to get the exhausts powder coated in Gloss Black as well since they only come in SS. I don't think this exhaust would look right with the M6 diffuser either. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #33
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

This thread is a sea of misinformation.

First of all, when you try and run a custom setup here with universal parts, everything needs to be test fit and evaluated before cutting and welding.

Your shop clearly did not do that because no one pull the OEM diffuser and swap the M6 one on without noticing M car exhaust tips extend far further back towards the muffler beacuse they are viewable.

The standard muffler tips are short because they aren't viewable and it saves on cost.

Regardless of how close you are with this shop, they should have never let you leave like that.

The Megan Racing exhaust should fit your car without an issue. There is no M-Sport/non issue, they just didn't make a version specifically called out to fot the F06 GC, but if I recall your rocking a coupe. The exhaust is available in both SS and burnt titanium "look".

If youre looking for best pricing, look to the vendors on the boards. Shoot them a PM and they will give you unadvertised pricing. I've seen 625 shipped from extreme power house at some time.

My personal opinion, I would leave the diffuser as is and mount the Megan with SS tips. Youre teetering on having too much black on your car (imo, respectively). Any gloss black tips will get lost in a gloss black diffuser. You could paint it white and go with gloss tips though.

You comented you liked the rear of my 6, that was with polished tips.

|| Vorsteiner FF-103 || BMS JB4 || Meisterschaft GTC || RPI || IND || Challenge ||

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 10-10-2014 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #34
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
This thread is a sea of misinformation.

First of all, when you try and run a custom setup here with universal parts, everything needs to be test fit and evaluated before cutting and welding.

Your shop clearly did not do that because no one pull the OEM diffuser and swap the M6 one on without noticing M car exhaust tips extend far further back towards the muffler beacuse they are viewable.

The standard muffler tips are short because they aren't viewable and it saves on cost.

Regardless of how close you are with this shop, they should have never let you leave like that.

The Megan Racing exhaust should fit your car without an issue. There is no M-Sport/non issue, they just didn't make a version specifically called out to fot the F06 GC, but if I recall your rocking a coupe. The exhaust is available in both SS and burnt titanium "look".

If youre looking for best pricing, look to the vendors on the boards. Shoot them a PM and they will give you unadvertised pricing. I've seen 625 shipped from extreme power house at some time.

My personal opinion, I would leave the diffuser as is and mount the Megan with SS tips. Youre teetering on having too much black on your car (imo, respectively). Any gloss black tips will get lost in a gloss black diffuser. You could paint it white and go with gloss tips though.

You comented you liked the rear of my 6, that was with polished tips.

First of all, the M5 looks great. Love your exhaust tips.

Is the sea of misinformation related to the mentioning of the increased back pressure from the Magnaflow tips?

I am thinking of getting the SS one and powder coating it black (also to get that Megan racing decal off of the tips). If my car was black, then I would probably leave it SS. But I think with my car being AW, gloss black is what I would like. I don't mind that it will get a bit lost with a black diffuser. I am not trying to make the exhaust stand out. I think that the M6 diffuser may not be the best fit for the Megan exhaust since the 650's I've seen with the Megan all ran the Msport diffuser and it seemed to fit that perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #35
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First of all, the M5 looks great. Love your exhaust tips.

Is the sea of misinformation related to the mentioning of the increased back pressure from the Magnaflow tips?

I am thinking of getting the SS one and powder coating it black (also to get that Megan racing decal off of the tips). If my car was black, then I would probably leave it SS. But I think with my car being AW, gloss black is what I would like. I don't mind that it will get a bit lost with a black diffuser. I am not trying to make the exhaust stand out. I think that the M6 diffuser may not be the best fit for the Megan exhaust since the 650's I've seen with the Megan all ran the Msport diffuser and it seemed to fit that perfectly.
Thanks for the compliment.

The backpressure comment was one, the Megan not fitting the Msport/M6 diffuser was another.

You could always paint the diffuser AW like the standard M6 diffuser and then go with the gloss black tips. Either way its your choice.

I think the Megan tips are long enough to run the M6 diffuser. IMO is looks way more aggressive and unique compared to the standard M sport.

There is someone else on these boards who has made this conversion, also with a AW car and you do not notice the tips as you do in your scenario.

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthre...ht=M6+diffuser

|| Vorsteiner FF-103 || BMS JB4 || Meisterschaft GTC || RPI || IND || Challenge ||
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #36
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The backpressure comment was one, the Megan not fitting the Msport/M6 diffuser was another.

You could always paint the diffuser AW like the standard M6 diffuser and then go with the gloss black tips. Either way its your choice.

I think the Megan tips are long enough to run the M6 diffuser. IMO is looks way more aggressive and unique compared to the standard M sport.

There is someone else on these boards who has made this conversion, also with a AW car and you do not notice the tips as you do in your scenario.

So you're saying that dropping down to a smaller diameter exhaust pipe anywhere in the system is not going to create any extra back pressure?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #37
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So you're saying that dropping down to a smaller diameter exhaust pipe anywhere in the system is not going to create any extra back pressure?

Comment was regarding the tips. Yes, of course running a 3" exhaust, or anything larger than 2.5" into a reducer and a muffler inlet is not optimal.

I would never decrease any diameter in the system.

I do not believe the muffler outlets on the 650 are not 3", they are smaller than that. Your taking a 3" inlet and splitting it into 2 outlets., one of which is often closed. It would drone all day to have dual 3" outlets with a single 3" inlet.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #38
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Comment was regarding the tips. Yes, of course running a 3" exhaust, or anything larger than 2.5" into a reducer and a muffler inlet is not optimal.

I do not believe the muffler outlets on the 650 are not 3", they are smaller than that. Your taking a 3" inlet and splitting it into 2 outlets., one of which is often closed. It would drone all day to have dual 3" outlets with a single 3" inlet.
The OEM muffler inlet is 3" and then each outlet is 2.25 of which like you said one is closed with the flapper until you get on it. I run 3" inlet tips to dual 3.5" outs, there is not much drone because there are still cats and 2 resonators on the OEM piping. I was just telling the OP that dropping to 2.5" inlets at the end of the exhaust is just not the greatest thing for turbo cars as the least amount of back pressure and/or heat is ideal. Adding both just hurts performance and reliability, no matter how small, on a car this expensive it's worth doing it the right way. When that flapper opens up on full throttle you have the equivalent of 4.5" of outlet between the 2 exits on the stock muffler, dropping down to 2.5" piping for the tips it will always be down to 2.5" so essentially making a small bottleneck at the end of the exhaust, and lets just say something happens to one of the turbos and it's not the fault of the exhaust or the bottleneck, the dealership will still point at it and have a valid argument for you to front the bill..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #39
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yeah I've seen that thread, but that is a 640i, which has a single outlet on the muffler. I also prefer a black diffuser, but the body colored ones are nice as well, I just prefer the contrast

Quote:

I don't think they used a reducer to get these tips on. Maybe the specs from Magnaflow aren't correct? The Magnaflow inlet tips look like like they are bigger than the inlet tips of the OEM exhaust so they were put on OVER the inlets as you can see in the pics I posted.

Quote:
The OEM muffler inlet is 3" and then each outlet is 2.25 of which like you said one is closed with the flapper until you get on it. I run 3" inlet tips to dual 3.5" outs, there is not much drone because there are still cats and 2 resonators on the OEM piping. I was just telling the OP that dropping to 2.5" inlets at the end of the exhaust is just not the greatest thing for turbo cars as the least amount of back pressure and/or heat is ideal. Adding both just hurts performance and reliability, no matter how small, on a car this expensive it's worth doing it the right way. When that flapper opens up on full throttle you have the equivalent of 4.5" of outlet between the 2 exits on the stock muffler, dropping down to 2.5" piping for the tips it will always be down to 2.5" so essentially making a small bottleneck at the end of the exhaust, and lets just say something happens to one of the turbos and it's not the fault of the exhaust or the bottleneck, the dealership will still point at it and have a valid argument for you to front the bill..
You got me all worried now even though I think the inlet on these Magnaflow tips is large than the inlet on the OEM muffler so I don't see how it can cause any issues of backpressure. I am looking into the Megan setup now.

I found a few vids on YouTube, one where the camera is right by the tips:
I LOVE the sound of this. Sounds mean with a nice deep tone.

And also another video shot from the back side rear that looks like it has black tips but it doesn't sound as aggressive

Anyone know the differences?

I also spoke with Megan and they said that if the exhaust is powder coated black then it will lose its 1 year warranty. So as much as I would love gloss black tips, I don't want to void the warranty incase anything starts rattling

Last edited by Zack G.; 10-14-2014 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #40
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Yeah I've seen that thread, but that is a 640i, which has a single outlet on the muffler. I also prefer a black diffuser, but the body colored ones are nice as well, I just prefer the contrast

I don't think they used a reducer to get these tips on. Maybe the specs from Magnaflow aren't correct? The Magnaflow inlet tips look like like they are bigger than the inlet tips of the OEM exhaust so they were put on OVER the inlets as you can see in the pics I posted.

You got me all worried now even though I think the inlet on these Magnaflow tips is large than the inlet on the OEM muffler so I don't see how it can cause any issues of backpressure. I am looking into the Megan setup now.

I found a few vids on YouTube, one where the camera is right by the tips:
I LOVE the sound of this. Sounds mean with a nice deep tone.

And also another video shot from the back side rear that looks like it has black tips but it doesn't sound as aggressive

Anyone know the differences?

I also spoke with Megan and they said that if the exhaust is powder coated black then it will lose its 1 year warranty. So as much as I would love gloss black tips, I don't want to void the warranty incase anything starts rattling
Why would the exhaust lose it warranty just for powder coating the tips? That doesn't make sense as the powder coating process shouldn't affect the integrity of the parts? I've got my Eissenman Race exhaust for my 650ix from IND and had my tips black coated and it didn't do crap to my warranty. Not sure what Megan's reasoning is on this one.

IMHO sounds like you're going thru a lot of worry and frustration just for quad tips fitted to OEM mufflers. If it were me I'd just go with a designed and proven set up made for the 6 series yes...even if it meant an aftermarket exhaust IF that was the look I wanted. Otherwise it seems like a lot of worry for naught. IMHO. Watching with interest tho to see how this turns out for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #41
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Why would the exhaust lose it warranty just for powder coating the tips? That doesn't make sense as the powder coating process shouldn't affect the integrity of the parts? I've got my Eissenman Race exhaust for my 650ix from IND and had my tips black coated and it didn't do crap to my warranty. Not sure what Megan's reasoning is on this one.

IMHO sounds like you're going thru a lot of worry and frustration just for quad tips fitted to OEM mufflers. If it were me I'd just go with a designed and proven set up made for the 6 series yes...even if it meant an aftermarket exhaust IF that was the look I wanted. Otherwise it seems like a lot of worry for naught. IMHO. Watching with interest tho to see how this turns out for you.
Yeah, you're right. This has been more of a PITA than fun and enjoyment.

I don't know the reasoning behind it, that's what the guy from Megan told me when I mentioned power coating it gloss black. He said if you powder coat it, it will lose its 1 year warranty. If it starts rattling or any of the parts inside the exhaust are compromised, we wouldn't be able to replace it under warranty. Maybe I should call back and ask, what if just the tips are powder coated black and not the entire exhaust? If I still get the same answer then maybe I'll just leave them in SS even though that's not really what I would like

I'm also curious what would happen with an aftermarket exhaust if I brought it into the dealership for service. Would they say anything? Is this something that would void the factory 4 year 50k mile warranty like a software/tune would?

I'm a n00b when it comes to this stuff since I've always done strictly visual MOD's only.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #42
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. This has been more of a PITA than fun and enjoyment.

I don't know the reasoning behind it, that's what the guy from Megan told me when I mentioned power coating it gloss black. He said if you powder coat it, it will lose its 1 year warranty. If it starts rattling or any of the parts inside the exhaust are compromised, we wouldn't be able to replace it under warranty. Maybe I should call back and ask, what if just the tips are powder coated black and not the entire exhaust? If I still get the same answer then maybe I'll just leave them in SS even though that's not really what I would like

I'm also curious what would happen with an aftermarket exhaust if I brought it into the dealership for service. Would they say anything? Is this something that would void the factory 4 year 50k mile warranty like a software/tune would?

I'm a n00b when it comes to this stuff since I've always done strictly visual MOD's only.
They are saying you will lose the warranty because you've modified it cosmetically, meaning they cannot take it back and refurb it. You could fight it if your just coating the tips, because it would have no effect on the functionality of the exhaust.

Why are you concerned with a 1yr warranty on an exhaust anyway?

The dealership also wouldn't care if you modified the exhaust line. Its really just a cosmetic part. Downpipes and tunes are a different story because the could have a negative impact on the function of certain components.

If I were you, I would stop wasting time and money and just pick an avenue and go with it. Theres very little risk associated with the kinds of mods youre talking about. Buy some Megan exhausts, get them coated and put them on. Done.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 11:50 PM   #43
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
They are saying you will lose the warranty because you've modified it cosmetically, meaning they cannot take it back and refurb it. You could fight it if your just coating the tips, because it would have no effect on the functionality of the exhaust.

Why are you concerned with a 1yr warranty on an exhaust anyway?

The dealership also wouldn't care if you modified the exhaust line. Its really just a cosmetic part. Downpipes and tunes are a different story because the could have a negative impact on the function of certain components.

If I were you, I would stop wasting time and money and just pick an avenue and go with it. Theres very little risk associated with the kinds of mods youre talking about. Buy some Megan exhausts, get them coated and put them on. Done.
Spot on...be like Nike...just do it!
Appreciate 0