BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
awais_shahid
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 LCI 640d Gran Coupe

All in my grille...

Hey guys, so we had the little coding meet yesterday at Krispy Kremes. The weather was sh**t as always... But was a decent enough turn out in the end. We had several M4s, an M5, 640d coupe in beautiful Moonstone, my 640d GC, and lots of noisy little M135s having rev offs!

Adam coded up quite a few cars so everyone was happy and munching BMW Doughnuts!

One of the forum members brought his new F13 Lci coupe fitted with the new M performance kidney grille which is all black surround with black 9 bar inner vertical slats and it looked amazing.

When I took delivery of my car in Dec 15 the dealer said there was no Lci M grille available (assume it wasn't released then) and they fitted the old version which has a black surround and darkened chrome 10 vertical slats. (see photo) Kinda annoyed as I am driving an Lci with and older grille design.

So I am planning to take out the 10 slat inner fitted on my car and replacing with the original chrome 9 slat inner that came supplied with the car from the factory.

This will then create a unique black surround with chrome 9 slat inner... What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640

60 quid from eBay mate

Looks miles nicer

They prob do a 9 slat one as I bought these ages ago
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
awais_shahid
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

@Rufus123 an all black grille looks nice on an all black car especially if you have black window surrounds etc. I had an all black grille on my e92, but I specced Matt aluminum window surrounds on my GC as I wanted something a bit different this time, so I think the black surround with chrome inner suits my car better as it's space grey.

I'm more having a whine about not getting an lci m performance grille when I got my car and having a face lift model with the pre face-lift grille.

Interestingly the old genuine m performance grille is only available with black surround and chrome inner but the new lci grille is available in all black. I assume that's why a lot of people have bought non genuine grilles off eBay or fitted the M6 grilles as the slats are all black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #4
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RX8, Alfa Romeo GTV, 640d GC

I think I prefer the kidney of the car with numberplate MD

In fact, I don't even remember the colour of mine
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

I see what you mean mate

Yeah yours will look better with dark chrome inners

You'll be able to sell yours for a hundred quid anyway mate, as when I was looking you couldn't find OEM second hands ones, and I was looking for ages, that was my first choice, only went Chinesesy ones after I couldn't find any OEMs . But glad I did since mines all black so I think they fit nicer with the gloss window surrounds etc
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RX8, Alfa Romeo GTV, 640d GC

How many cars were there in total? I thought there would be more
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #7
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Looks like a good meet there ....

Nice variation of different m cars ( 1, 4, x5m models etc )

Didn't know the 1 series m135 had changed so much on the facelift but it looks so much different on the photos

Not sure which I like the most ...... Older model I think
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #8
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by awais_shahid
@Rufus123 an all black grille looks nice on an all black car especially if you have black window surrounds etc. I had an all black grille on my e92, but I specced Matt aluminum window surrounds on my GC as I wanted something a bit different this time, so I think the black surround with chrome inner suits my car better as it's space grey.

I'm more having a whine about not getting an lci m performance grille when I got my car and having a face lift model with the pre face-lift grille.

Interestingly the old genuine m performance grille is only available with black surround and chrome inner but the new lci grille is available in all black. I assume that's why a lot of people have bought non genuine grilles off eBay or fitted the M6 grilles as the slats are all black.
My ocd noticed the number plate is wonky on the six
      04-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
awais_shahid
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Haha, Dan I assure you it's the shadow being cast from the angle the picture is taken. I literally measured the mm from the bottom of the kidney to the top of the plate surround on both sides!

So curiosity got the better of me and I had a spare hour after work and decided to change the grille inners. I've replaced them with the original that came with the car and I have to see I'm pleased with the result.

Bit of a mission trying to get the grilles out without taking the bumper off but managed to do it without any damage to the grilles or bumper, my fingers on the other hand... (excuse the pun).

Only a bimmer geek would probably even notice the difference but I'm happy and that's all that matters!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #10
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

That looks great !!

Nice job, looks OEM to me
Appreciate 0